Abel to Yzerman

The Drought Continues

All season long goals have been a rare commodity for this Wings team, and the drought continues. In hockey, teams usually don't win games without scoring goals, but, the Wings did manage a win yesterday, without scoring a goal in regulation or OT.
The skills competition decided the outcome, and both goaltenders recorded a regulation shutout. Even in the shootout, goals are not added to a player's total goals or points.

The Wings play another early game today, then thankfully, a four day break until the last two games of the season. It's almost over........

It's a Live Blog!

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

Afternoon, Bitches!

Another 3pm game, then the weekdays off.  After the Wings 2 then wait 12 days for Vancouver to finish its season lol.

This from a previous article.

But a sweep of Tampa Bay, following back to back shutouts, with a team that is limping to the finish line, gives a high chance that Blash returns for at least a season…

Today’s result against TB will have absolutely zero affect on Blash being rehired or not.  Absolutely zero.  Furthermore, any GM that would make that decision on one series instead of based on a complete season with this group of players, and five seasons total, should be immediately removed as GM.

Jebus, the internet offers too many people the means to distribute lame opinions.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 02:45 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 02:45 PM ET

Indeed. If my work record looked anything like Blashill’s, I would have been fired at least two years ago….. oh oh

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 05/02/21 at 02:49 PM ET

calquake's avatar

It’s almost over….....

Yes, yes it is. Hola 19. Looking to next season, what would you consider improvement, point-wise? For me, if Blash is still coaching, nothing short of .500 is acceptable. I’m willing to give a new coach some leeway. L.G.R.W.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 05/02/21 at 02:50 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well you need about .550 of possible points to be on the bubble of playoffs, and I don’t expect them to get there, unless they sign 3 all stars plus Seider being Calder Trophy winner.

They could show improvement with young players, getting beat in an improving learning process, and I could accept that.

I fear that they don’t want to waste hiring a top notch coach, or maybe none would sign, for a two year rebuilding period with little expectation of winning anything.  And that leaves the door open for a Blashill extension.  Would Blashill insist on two year contract ?  He should, then if gets fired it would offer some financial security.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 02:56 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by RWBill

As the Kinks would say, “So tired, so tired of waiting for you.” This applies to Blashill.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 05/02/21 at 03:04 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Khan…

Erne-Namestnikov-Zadina
Vrana-Veleno-Gagner
Panik-Rasmussen-Filppula
Helm-Glendening-Svechnikov
Cholowski-Hronek
Staal-Biega
DeKeyser-Lindstrom
Stecher skated briefly but left early.
Bernier starting.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/02/21 at 03:04 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Three games left. Can the Red Wings catch Lightening in a bottle again today? Can they even score a goal? confused

Posted by bigfrog on 05/02/21 at 03:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Jebus, 15 minutes to face off?

I’m switching over to watch the other Iltich anemic team.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 03:11 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

McElhinney hurt in the warm-ups.  Could we see an EBUG situation a-brewin’?

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 05/02/21 at 03:12 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

So, one last NBC Torture Fest before kissing the subtle interference, Lively End Boards, and wind aided goal scoring, Wings goodbye Eh..

Well, I for one Raise a glass to never having to listen to Eddie, Pierre, and the rest of the NBC “gang”  again.

It would have been kool to have had Doc drive down from Port Huron to call the game, but it’s NBC so no…

hmmm

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/02/21 at 03:13 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Howdy 19. Will be in and oot today as today is my 24 th anniversary. On our day the wings won in ot on a goal by Koslov and I was lurking at the bar. My wife understands my wingaholic addiction even after all these years. LGRW

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 05/02/21 at 03:20 PM ET

calquake's avatar

My wife understands my wingaholic addiction even after all these years. LGRW

God bless all the better halves, or lucky halves as Kate would put it. Congrats CN. Here’s to many, many more.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 05/02/21 at 03:24 PM ET

calquake's avatar

very early poop

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 05/02/21 at 03:26 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

0-1 16 seconds. angry

Posted by bigfrog on 05/02/21 at 03:26 PM ET

Congratulations CN!

For our anniversary my wife said she wanted to go some place she’d never been before.  I said, “Try the kitchen.”

I took my wife everywhere, but she always found her way home.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 03:26 PM ET

Lookin’ Good!

2 turnovers and a goal against, followed by giving up a 2x1 rush.  Sweet.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 03:28 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I’m wondering who Yzerman is thinking about as the possible new coach.. Some of the familiar names are maybe too old school.

Why not go with another coach that would be new to the head coach position like Larionov? I don’t think he could do any worse at this point.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 05/02/21 at 03:29 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I took my wife everywhere, but she always found her way home.

Try putting her and the dog in the trunk of your car, driving around for an hour and see who’s happy to see you after opening said trunk.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 05/02/21 at 03:31 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

You’re one lucky husband… wink  Seriously, all of my very best to you both, and another 24 years of bliss….

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 05/02/21 at 03:31 PM ET

Haha

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 03:32 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Oof. That was quick. I imagine there was some chapped asses in the TB locker room yesterday hence the early pressure.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 05/02/21 at 03:33 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I don’t think he could do any worse at this point.

I’m not sure Ned Harkness could do any worse.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 05/02/21 at 03:33 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Hronek serves up some of the best turnovers

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/02/21 at 03:35 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Thanks y’all. RW and Cal in midseason form. Never change youse guys. BTW . It was Lapointe with the OT goal.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 05/02/21 at 03:38 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Hronek serves up some of the best turnovers

I’ll have an apple.. or peach. Mmmm…

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 05/02/21 at 03:38 PM ET

Fruit Turnovers (Svestkove Knedliky), traditional food in Czech Republic

Czech turnovers.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 03:38 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Marriage is a three-ring circus: engagement ring, wedding ring, and suffering…. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 05/02/21 at 03:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Oh, that’s kind of a large image.  Just posted the link.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 03:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

A lot of matrimony humor today.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 03:40 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Hronek has needed a rest for awhile, but with the few games remaining, why bother.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 05/02/21 at 03:41 PM ET

calquake's avatar

A lot of matrimony humor today.

Laugh or die.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 05/02/21 at 03:41 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

PooBah in the house!

Just on my phone so no pics today.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 05/02/21 at 03:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

My wife was the closest thing to Elizabeth Taylor.
She looked like Richard Burton.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 03:44 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Marriage is called an institution.  Coincidence? I think not.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 05/02/21 at 03:44 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

24 years in love with the same woman.  If his wife finds out she’ll kill him.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 03:46 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Who has been feeding the ugly cereal to Namisakov?

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 05/02/21 at 03:47 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Marriage is like an onion… many layers and will bring you to tears… of joy.  cheese

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 05/02/21 at 03:52 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Anyway, the hockey game, 17 shots on goal already.

No, 18.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 03:54 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Dodged a bullet there on that one…... wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 05/02/21 at 03:56 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Bernier fending them off .

After a rough start, Greiss has joined Bernier to form a decent goaltending tandem.  Lots of abuse.  At least they don’t suffer from boredom.

Posted by RWBill on 05/02/21 at 03:57 PM ET