KK Members Blog
by Rink Rage on 08/03/13 at 06:35 PM ET
We are now 42 games away from the first preseason game of the year, and there is still plenty of key free agents looking for a new team. Yet, there is little to no noise. Here are my top 5 UFAs still available and which team(s) would be best fit.
1. Damien Brunner: I'd say he was at least top 10 free agent to begin with and it truely is a shocker that he's not gone, and not just that he's not gone yet, rumors haven't surfaced with his name since July 15th. At this point in time, Brunner is a forgotten man. I see Vancouver as good fit, especially if you let him play on the top line with the Sedins. The Canucks also still have over $4 million in cap space.
2. Tim Thomas: Say what you will about Tim Thomas, it was not too long ago when he had the best goalie in the world. Say what you will about him taking a year off, he's close to where he was when he left, I would find it hard to believe that you couldn't find at least one team that could use him. The Calgary Flames seem like a solid fit. There is absolutely no goaltending there and as far as I know (I'm an American so I wouldn't be entirely sure of this) but Alberta seem pretty conservative, so I see a good fiit here.
3. Kyle Wellwood: I see someone that you could get 45 points out of for a very good cap hit of about $2 million. The Calgary Flames have nothing down the middle, so I also see the Flames as the best fit as well.
4. Douglas Murrary: Douglas Murray is coming off the worst season of his career, and seems to have very little left in him. With that said, I see Douglas Murray as a John Tortorella kind of guy, so I'll go with Vancouver with this one as well.
5. Brendan Morrow: In Morrow you have some good leadership, combine that good physical play, with just enough bite offensively to be affective. I bet he would love to play for his former coach Ken Hitchcock. It's a system that is friendly to his gritty style, again he's familiar with the coach, and I think it's important to point out that Blues are team that's going to compete for the Cup, and for veteran like Morrow, that means a lot.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About KK Members Blog
If you want to be a hockey writer, be our special guest!
How to Post
We only ask that you avoid profanity, and that you're careful to credit your sources -- news media or other bloggers -- and provide links to those other sites when appropriate.
Need help? Check out our help page.