Abel to Yzerman

I NOW Consider Justin Abdelkader A Hall Of Famer

And he deserves your apology.  You ragged him and you ripped our Uncle Mike.  It was unseemly of you and you all should be ashamed.  In fact, read what you wrote and consider yourselves admonished.

Is this some fairy tale I'm living through? Am I in Denver?

So...forget putting Tatar--arguably the most creative offensive player on the Wings the last month or so--on a line with Datsyuk.  That's just crazy talk.  You NEED Abdelkader on that line, Mike.

That's sarcastic and it was inappropriate.  One of you needs to step forward and take responsibility for your childish, short-sighted blasphemy.

Oh, that was me.  Nevermind.

But that wasn't the first bit of treachery. Oh no. I'd begun this campaign of ignorance well before that little ditty.

Justin Abdelkader has not registered a single point since February 7th.  That's 12 games ago.  That's when his point streak stopped.  A point streak that lasted one game. He has one point this season.  And that's ok because we've always expected that out of Abdelkader...zero points. An average of like 1.2 shots per game.  It's precisely what we expected when he was re-signed for 1.8 million dollars per year.  That comes out to like .0007 goals per one hundred thousand dollars per every two seasons when you pro-rate that to include this year's circus brought to you by the dwarf with the whip and the leather chaps.

That was on 5 March.  We were in a bad state then, you and me.  Complaints, depression, bath salts.  Every day we took aim and blasted away at Uncle Mike and Tick Tock.

Now, in our defense, it wasn't working.  Not then.  But is there a possibility, even a slim one, that Mike Babcock was looking forward while we were rooted in the obscenity that was the present back then?

Justin Abdelkader was a force, a brutal, soft-handed, speedy, pillaging force against the overrated, ill-seeded Poultry. While Corey Perry was gulping his own urine and firing shot after shot at Jimmy Fuching Howard's tummy, Abdelkader was either scoring, hitting, or sitting after laying some admittedly illegal wood.

And we never saw it coming.  We never anticipated this, and we should have.  Babcock and Tick Tock have track records.  Well...Holland isn't completely absolved at this point. This Summer of Ken will be another chance at redemption for him...and this time it's without Jim Nill.

But Babcock?  How did we doubt this guy?

And now he looks even better.  That tactic, that nugget of genius...to split up the Euros at a time fat Mickey Rooney would never expect it? Amazing. Gutsy.  Like Mickey making Rocky shift from southpaw to righty.  No one saw it coming.  Stu Nahan noticed it within minutes of Round 1 in Rocky II.  He was stunned.  Just like we were at Monday morning 0200 EST when Gary let the game start.

Now it gets even interestinger.

Toews and Kane are better than Baldy McFatslap and his little biotch friend Corey.  Better in every way.  And they're both proven performers in tense situations.  Plus there's Hossa.  Jesus.  Are we gonna have to deal with that topic again?

Yes. Yes we are.  Datsyuk must outplay Kane.  Zetterberg must outplay Toews.  And Johan Franzen must prove to us all that The Decision To Keep Mule Instead of Hossa was sound.  He's not the all around player Hossa is, so I'm not asking him to outplay him.  All I'm asking is for Franzen to be the Franzen of '08. God he was good. Fiery good.

I'm going to say something and it is shocking to type it: Kyle Quincey has been really frigging good.  I have no idea where it came from, or why he's doing it.  Maybe the Dive stink has finally worn off.  He must continue to be that good. Big E must continue to be as steady as he's been.  Nik Kronwall must be vicious.

And Mikael Samuelsson needs to sit.  Now. Today. Don't even let him practice.

Our last go-round with the Hawks, at least in the Western Conference.  You have reason to be scared. It's ok to admit it here where I guarantee, this far down in this post, nobody but us is reading it.  It's ok. They're really good.

But we take one in that yuppie shit palace? It's on, Monkey.  On. On. On.

Enjoy your respite, your last stress-free evening.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m going to say something and it is shocking to type it: Kyle Quincey has been really frigging good.  I have no idea where it came from, or why he’s doing it.  Maybe the Dive stink has finally worn off.

It was lingering in his hair.  Got a hair-cut and shaped up.

I’m with you on Q, I haven’t had too many reasons to bad-mouth him.  Mistakes happen and his haven’t cost a lot and he’s bailed out his own as well as some others.  And he’s being physical, playing hard.  Colo is the one I wasn’t digging but he’s got reasonable excuses.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/14/13 at 06:05 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Enjoy your respite, your last stress-free evening.

Yes, just finally coming down from the euphoria of Game 7 and I’m so tired today.  Going to rest up and be ready for tomorrow night.

I know the MSM is writing off the Wings, heck in my own playoff pool of 16 people only three of us picked the Wings (all of us die-hards) but you never know what can happen, that’s why you play the game, all sixty + minutes of it.  Unfortunately for Toronto, they quit after about 56 minutes and look what happened.

Win one in Chicago, that’s all we need.

LGRW!!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/14/13 at 06:11 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Chief, good to hear from you on this day of waiting. I’ll admit I was one who began to doubt Uncle Mike when he put Abby on the top line. I got that he wanted a big mucker to get pucks for Pav and Z, but I really thought Abby was over his head on the top line. But Jesus Lashoff was I ever wrong. And when Abby scored that breakaway shorty in Game 7, he elevated himself to Helm status.

And the crazy, fuching genius of Uncle Mike to change up three of the four lines for a Game 7?  Brilliant. Totally outfoxed Boudreau and totally discombobulated the Quacks.

I will never doubt Babcock again.

I believe.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/14/13 at 06:14 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

I agree with you on all this, Chief! We all should be ashamed
As I’ve been saying in the last couple weeks… “I like our team”
It’s kind of a reminder to never again doubt the powers that be on The Organization

Yeah, right… Like that will happen! Next time wings start losing, I’ll be complaining and crying like a little girl again

Stress is already high, tomorrow will be a LOOOOOOONG day…

P.S.: I think Cocacola also played very well in game 7!

Posted by Zqto on 05/14/13 at 06:15 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I was with you, and then this got typed.  I get that we are all riding high right now, and no one with a Winged Wheel on their jersey can do any wrong by us, for at least another 26 hours.  But I dont own a pair of rose colored glasses thick enough to make this true.

Every boneheaded giveaway, every hour long shift spent clusterfuching around in our own zone, every blank stare as pucks went through legs and into the net was due to the Quincey/Smith pairing.  They were brutal separately, and together they formed Brutaltron, brutalest in all the universe.

Each had moments where you thought, “hey, these kids might just be alright”, only to be swiftly extinguished by mind numbing ineptittude.

We all made a mistake on Abdelkader, at least as far as players they currently have to work with, I’ll give you that one.  But in this instance, Chief, I have to say I respectfully reject your version of reality, and substitute my own.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/14/13 at 06:17 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I hear ya, Hoot. And you’re probably right.  Two great plays stick with me, both involve him going down—whore-style—to break up plays. I’ve probably conveniently forgotten, or just didn’t notice, a number of mistakes.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 05/14/13 at 06:33 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

While I had fallen off the Abdelkader bandwagon this year, there was a time when I was pretty high on him.  I had a blog back in 2010 for about 5 minutes that nobody read, mostly because it sucked.  But in it I wrote some pretty beaming praise of Abby:

If you care to read it

And watching that 2007 NCAA Championship game still gives me goosebumps

Posted by Hootinani on 05/14/13 at 06:34 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 05/14/13 at 06:33 PM ET

Thats alright, the only thing I’m going to try and remember from the 1st round is the look on Getslob and Katty Perry’s faces when they realized it was all over but the cryin.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/14/13 at 06:37 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I’m on board with Sparty, Dude has risen to the occasion.

But Chief, you can walk the plank on Turnstile.  Him and Smith have moments of good play.  But holy hell, they make me fetal in most instances.  That all curled up, rocking back and forth fetal where your praying to jobu and seriously considering if the neighbors pet will live another hour mentality; where your counting the seconds to the shift change sorta thing.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/14/13 at 06:38 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Totally off topic… One of my coworkers was active Navy in VA a few years ago and says he knows you Chief (by know I assume he meant knows who you are). Small freaking world sometimes.
Fletch Hiner said congrats on the MC command of the destroyer, Bill.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/14/13 at 06:38 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Fletch Hiner said congrats on the MC command of the destroyer, Bill.

Awesome.  Tell him I said hello, Mo.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 05/14/13 at 06:40 PM ET

From TSN

Two days after Detroit abruptly ended the Anaheim Ducks’ season, they still can’t believe they’re already done for the summer…..General manager Bob Murray built a potential Stanley Cup contender around cornerstones Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry…

And here’s what a cornerstone of Getzlaf and Perry get you,

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/14/13 at 06:46 PM ET

I think most of my bitching at that time was 8-13-11.  Do you know how many times I’ve dropped my head in disgust with that lineup every time it’s on the ice?  I even said that not even the sweet rest of a Guinness could stop me from wailing.  Wait, I think I said that to no one in particular at the casino.  Anyw00t, I’m then reminded that it was Dangles who asked Uncle Mike to put Darth Gator on his wing to be the one who would pull the piano.

And like Hoot, yes, I remember Gator’s National Championship GWG.  And then his electrifying performance at the World Championships for Team USA?  I’ll just STFU now.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/14/13 at 06:46 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Chief, I think you need to cut yourself and the rest of the 19 some slack about Gator. In all fairness, the 19’s rage was directed at Uncle Mike squandering quantum singularity that is #13 by demoting him to the checking line. Weeks of rage were directed at Babs for 8-13-11, because the most gifted playmaker in NHL history was put on a line between a pair of boat anchors.

Babs eventually came to his senses and played 8-13-40 extensively down the stretch and against the Duh Ucks.  Now that is a line we all get behind; it brings back warm memories of 96-13-40.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/14/13 at 06:56 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

God help us all.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/14/13 at 06:58 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

I realize everyone wants to be the boss at one time or the other but you have to keep wondering why guys like Yzerman and Nill leave the Redwings organization… have Holland’s methods become unsound?

Posted by pgoody on 05/14/13 at 07:09 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

And now he looks even better.  That tactic, that nugget of genius…to split up the Euros at a time fat Mickey Rooney would never expect it? Amazing. Gutsy.  Like Mickey making Rocky shift from southpaw to righty.

Not to nitpick, this part was funny but could have been funnier if I wasnt thinking of Mickey Rooney as Rocky’s trainer for the following line…

Posted by pgoody on 05/14/13 at 07:12 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 05/14/13 at 07:09 PM ET

Simple math. There is 1 GM of the Red Wings, Holland. The job is his for as long as he wants it. There are 29 other NHL GM jobs. If you have been paying your dues for years learning the ins and outs of running an NHL team, then someone taps your shoulder and offers you one of those 29 jobs, do you turn it down because you’re waiting for a specific team? Hell no! Doesn’t matter how bad the team or owner is, it’s your shot at the brass ring.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/14/13 at 07:20 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

one other deserves mention for his self sacrifice. Good ol’ buckets. Think you’ve had a long day? I don’t think tylenol and a few hot tubs is going to take that bruising away that he took in 6 and 7. H e ain’t our old Danny ,but by God, he’s working. He is working.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/14/13 at 07:22 PM ET

klank's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 05/14/13 at 06:34 PM ET

He’s slated to be on the fourth line, but I could see him easily moving up, as this kid does nothing but train hard and play hard.

spot on, Hoot

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/14/13 at 07:25 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I think he only thing that Abdelscorer’s success proves is that putting a big body (someone who’s willing to work his ass off) on a line with Pav and (for the most part) Z will result in good things happening.

I personally believe that Andersson would have done even better than Abby. Or, hell, if they’d brought up Sheahan and put him there, he’d have done great things too.

I’m not knocking what Abby’s done. He was given a chance and he made the most of it. Good for him (and the Wings). But the key point here is that he was given a chance.

Maybe now that Babs has seen what can happen if you give guys a chance, he’ll be more open to doing that in the future – even when he isn’t forced to do it because of injuries.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/14/13 at 07:31 PM ET

Primis's avatar

He really hasn’t.  He’s probably been the worst of all the d-men that have played still.

Smith has had his offensive moments of stepping up and delivering.  Colaiacovo has had defensive moments that I didn’t know he was capable of.  Kindl has surprised, even Lashoff (overmatched as he was) had moments where he made you believe.

But I’m sorry… Kyle Quincey has merely been Kyle Quincey, and that’s just plain not good at all.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/14/13 at 07:31 PM ET

Disagree.  Abdelkader has always had more offensive upside than Joakim and Sheahan.  Abby’s been pegged into checking roles, but he was not drafted to necessarily be that.  I’ve always been amazed that he’s as effective a checker as he is, considering he’s never really done that.

Posted by Primis on 05/14/13 at 07:48 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I NOW Consider Justin Abdelkader A Hall Of Famer

Having been reminded, once again, by this post’s headline that TPSH hasn’t been taken out on a carrier and thrown overboard (Bin Laden style), I decided to check out the only blogger that I’ve blocked. You know, just fer laughs. I wasn’t disappointed.

Now, I didn’t actually read any of The Link Goes To Himself’s blogs, mind you, but I did look at the titles – just to make sure someone new hadn’t been annointed as the next shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. And here’s what I found from a few days ago…

May 5th: Early Playoff MVP

May 7th: Today’s Early Playoff MVP

Six days into the first round, this nincompoop picks his “Early Playoff MVP.” Then, two days later, he’s got an entirely different pick – eight days into the playoffs.

I’m no pharmacist, but that’s just funny stuff right there.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/14/13 at 07:48 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Vokoun… Fleury-like… nay… Fleury-esque

Posted by pgoody on 05/14/13 at 07:48 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

I put together a shitty excel sheet comparing Franzen and Hossa’s season/playoff stats since 08-09 plus their stats against DET/CHI respectively but have no idea how to get it on here…

Posted by pgoody on 05/14/13 at 07:53 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Abdelkader has always had more offensive upside than Joakim and Sheahan.

Posted by Primis on 05/14/13 at 07:48 PM ET

And Jim Nill might disagree with you…

“(Andersson’s) a cross between Joel Lundqvist and Johan Franzen, but he’s got a better touch than Franzen at the same age.” — Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill (June 2007)

“I don’t like to make comparisons with young players. It’s not really fair to them. But (Sheahan) does remind me of Johan Franzen. He’s got a big, thick body. He’s been a big scorer. That’s what we project him to be.” — Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill (June 2010, MLive.com)

Now let’s just hope that both of them turn out to be more like the “playoff Franzen” than the “regular-season Franzen.” smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/14/13 at 07:59 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Just give us the “cliff notes” version.

Posted by calquake on 05/14/13 at 08:07 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

But Babcock?  How did we doubt this guy?

Because that’s what we do. We stress. We second guess. We excel at it.

Our expectations are set at nothing less than the very best.

We are Wingaholics.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/14/13 at 08:42 PM ET

monkey's avatar

But we take one in that yuppie shit palace? It’s on, Monkey.  On. On. On.

*#$%@& a, man.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/14/13 at 09:14 PM ET

Seriously, Kickstarter?

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/14/13 at 09:15 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Holland is ensconced, man, he’s a fixture.  He may as well be a 50 ton statue.  Guys like Nill and Yzerman, if they want to be a GM, they have to go somewhere else.  So they did.

It’s hardly a knock on Holland that two former proteges are now both running their own clubs.  It’s a ringing endorsement.  The only question is, who’s he gonna break in next?

What I noticed about Nill leaving was that it was almost exactly one season after Lidstrom retired.  Holland has half-joked for a while now that when Lidstrom retired he would too.  I wonder if Nill didn’t wait around to see if Holland really would retire, because this is the job Nill really wants, and when Holland didn’t budge he decided it was time to fish.  It’s not like he’s never gotten some really nice offers before this.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/14/13 at 09:24 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Win one in Chicago, that’s all we need.

LGRW!!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/14/13 at 06:11 PM ET

Fuch that, let’s sweep the bastards.

All I’m asking is for Franzen to be the Franzen of ‘08. God he was good. Fiery good.

Geebus, don’t be goin’ all pharmacy tech on us.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/14/13 at 09:26 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/14/13 at 07:59 PM ET

The problem with that Jim Nill quote from 2010 is that Sheahan had never, ever actually been a proven scorer.  He never scored double-digits for goals in his 3-year career at Notre Dame (20G total in 3 seasons… as a point of comparison Abdelkader had 44 in 3 seasons), and many considered his offensive output in the CCHA disappointing for a Notre Dame team that was pretty good.  He was a bigger scorer for 2 seasons junior, but still not a really big-time one.

Now, the kid had a pretty good year in GR just this year finally.  We’re going to need to see a bigger sample size of him showing he can score though.  I’m still kinda’ indifferent on him, I think he might get lost in the shuffle of so many younger forwards.  I don’t know that DET will need so many 3rd and 4th liners, someone needs to emerge from that group as claiming Top Six spots.  It’d be nice if one of them was a bigger body for sure because otherwise the top six guys look to all be on the smaller side.

Posted by Primis on 05/14/13 at 09:46 PM ET

monkey's avatar

But we take one in that yuppie shit palace?

Game seven would be nice.  Overall I love the idea of burning down the Western Conference on our way out the door.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/14/13 at 10:04 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

I’m with ya monkey.  As we used to sing in running cadence with the jarheads, “burn the western village, eat the babies, rape the women “. No offense to the ladies here. grin

One game at a time. We can.do this.

Go.Wings.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 05/14/13 at 10:22 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

ZETTERBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU….......................

Posted by pgoody on 05/14/13 at 10:50 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Towes impressed the hell out of me during the lockout. That kid is a real captain, and even though I am officially required to hate the blackhawks, I do wish that kid were the face of the league instead of Crysby.

That said, I’m looking forward to the wings OBLITERATING the bandwagoneers in the windbag city. To be fair, people can say the Wings fans are bandwagoneers as well since we’ve only been fully supporting the team for the last quarter century that they’ve been in the playoffs.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/14/13 at 11:22 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I think the “problem” with Sheahan is that he’s so good defensively, that he was used in that role at Notre Dame because that’s what they needed. And that’s also true in GR. Here’s what Blashill had to say about him…

“He’s a good two-way hockey player. He has very good offensive ability, but an outstanding defensive player. Most nights he’s playing against one of the team’s top players. So, as a first-year pro, we couldn’t ask for more.” — Grand Rapids Griffins head coach Jeff Blashill (January 2013, MLive.com

Maybe Abby fell into that same “trap.” My original point was not to bash Abby, but to point out that Babcock tends to “pidgeon-hole” players into one category and then never look at them any differently. Hopefully, the success that Abby has had this year when given a chance will pay dividends for players like Andersson and Sheahan in the future.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/14/13 at 11:25 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I’ll just say this.  After watching the last 16 games, hell, after watching the Wings for 20 years, Abby belongs on that line.  He earned that spot and I’ll be the first to call for heads to roll when he goes off it.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 05/15/13 at 01:02 AM ET