Abel to Yzerman

Detroit’s Salary Cap Picture

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Travis Yost of TSN says Detroit’s defense is under performing.

Detroit: Another group with plenty of upside, like Buffalo. Mo Seider was well deserving of last year’s Norris Trophy in a tough environment. It will be fascinating to see what Seider’s puck movement and awareness can do on a team with more attacking threats up top.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/10/22 at 11:01 AM ET

What about Robert Hagg? Why isn’t he up on the roster?

Posted by Anderj8 on 08/10/22 at 11:10 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Edvinsson was pulled early from the last pre-tourney game but he says he is ready to go for today’s game.

George Malik has the story in a translated article.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/10/22 at 11:17 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

“ Mo Seider was well deserving of last year’s Norris Trophy”

Wow, that’s quite the upgrade!

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 08/10/22 at 01:01 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Max Bultman of The Athletic answers some mail…

Do you think there’s any chance we trade Pius Suter (who’s gone at the deadline anyway) prior to the start of the season? It opens up a spot and I do believe Michael Rasmussen deserves a shot to start on the third line after his hot finish. — Kasper is Hockeytown

I don’t think so. Detroit just isn’t in the business of clearing paths for players.

That being said, I do think it’s possible for Rasmussen to win the third-line center job over Suter — or to start the year next to him on the wing. Rasmussen was one of the bright spots of last season’s final month, with seven goals in his last 16 games. He turned 23 in the middle of that stretch, still young enough that it’s entirely possible that was the start of a breakthrough. (That’s right around the same age Tyler Bertuzzi was when he became a full-time Red Wing, though the two are certainly different players.)

Rasmussen is most valuable to the Red Wings as a center. But if they like the look he gives them on the wing, and feel confident in Veleno as a possible fourth-line center, then they could play Rasmussen out wide on the third line. Or, if he’s just better than Suter down the middle, I don’t see any reason Detroit wouldn’t play him accordingly.

But what I can’t imagine is the Red Wings limiting their options by trading away Suter before the year even begins. That would be very out of character.

How “on the hot seat” is Filip Zadina? Seems like the additions of David Perron, Dominik Kubalik, and the emergence of Jonatan Berggren makes his hold on a roster spot extremely tenuous. — Starlino

I get what Starlino is getting at, because as we sit here today, it’s already hard to find a spot for Zadina on the power play, with Perron, Kubalik, Raymond and Jakub Vrana figuring to lock down spots on the flanks, Larkin and Copp presumably in the bumper, and Bertuzzi and Rasmussen around the net. From that standpoint, yes, there’s certainly some pressure on Zadina this season. You only get so much time to solidify yourself as a key piece, even in a rebuild.

I do think some perspective is helpful when comparing him to Berggren, though. The two were part of the same draft class, and Zadina has played 160 NHL games, compared to none for Berggren. Their paths have been different, and Berggren had a nice season in the AHL last year, no doubt, with 64 points in 70 games. But the difference between the AHL and NHL is steep — in Zadina’s last AHL stint, way back in 2019-20, he had 16 points in 21 games. Which is all to say, Berggren may well make his way into the NHL picture this season, and in time, maybe he ends up better than Zadina. But as of now, I’m not ready to say Berggren’s emerged in a way Zadina hasn’t.

The fact Zadina’s had more NHL opportunities means fans — and likely management — have had more time to grow impatient with him. He does need to have a breakthrough under Derek Lalonde, or a change of scenery could very well be in order. But in terms of losing his roster spot outright? I’ll need to see eight wingers on this roster be better before I’m ready to go there.

more ($)

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/10/22 at 01:30 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I just don’t see us walking into this season with $9ml in available capspace, I don’t think Yzerman is done yet. Maybe opportunities do not present themselves, but with Kadri sitting out there to be signed by someone, and teams already needing to shed some cap, I don’t see us just being idle, we’ll see.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 08/10/22 at 02:50 PM ET

Lmao Meal, thought the same.  Didn’t know MO was The Norris last year

Posted by ThatGuy on 08/10/22 at 03:33 PM ET

Ataris18's avatar

I absolutely Hate Kadri….. but what if we sign him for 1 year at the 8 mill price tag and if hes not driving us to playoffs we dump him at the deadline?  I don’t love the player crunch it creates.  I’d love to see some players moved for someone better (wouldnt we all?) i doubt this would happen but the arm chair GM in me says sign kadri for the year and trade him for first rounders at deadline.

Posted by Ataris18 from House on 08/10/22 at 05:33 PM ET

Ataris18's avatar

Posted by Ataris18 from House on 08/10/22 at 05:33 PM ET

Nothing from very reliable sources, but there is a lot of chatter on various websites that SY might be interested in trading for Barzal.

Posted by VPalmer on 08/10/22 at 06:13 PM ET

Barzal would be very nice…...

Posted by pnwwing on 08/10/22 at 07:18 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I personally hope we don’t use our cap space this season.  It would be nice to maintain a cushion should an opportunity present itself.

Well I don’t see Kadri coming to Detroit on a one year contract, and I don’t like the idea of us hobbling into the playoffs only to lose in the first round.  This is not a playoff team yet…we don’t deserve to be there.

I’m also looking at the roster and someone’s got to go.  Whether that’s in a 2 for 1 package deal, or just being dealt off for future considerations…the issue is so few teams can take on extra players at this point, especially if they are OUR sloppy seconds.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/11/22 at 09:08 AM ET

I wouldn’t be opposed to see the cap space weaponized. There are a lot of teams in tight situations where tough decisions still have to be made and if the Red Wings can take advantage of a cap casualty or two then so be it.

Would ideally like to see the Larkin and Bertuzzi contract situations settled before adding a guy like Kadri or Barzal, but really wouldn’t be opposed to either if the deals were right. Need to figure out if Zadina is still in the plans for the future, but wouldn’t be heartbroken if they moved him, Smith and/or Erne.

Regardless, it’s going to be interesting to see how the rest of the off season and training camp shake out.

Posted by MZ2215 on 08/11/22 at 10:14 AM ET

I like Barzal but I wouldn’t be in much of a rush to acquire him, since he’s got to be qualified at $10M next summer and we already (probably…hopefully?) will have Larkin and Bert on new deals next summer with Seider, Raymond, Hronek and Rasmussen all coming up RFA the following year.

Posted by GMoney on 08/11/22 at 11:20 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I’m not on the Barzal train myself, he will need to be paid, and he’s really a 2C on a cup contender IMO, and we got plenty of those.

I think Yzerman can and should weaponize the cap space while clearing some log jams. For example, in this is just fictional but move Pius Sutter who is a good defensive PK guy for a cup contender, retaining 1/2 his salary to a cap strapped team like say Tampa for Kilhorn, and taking one of their better prospects or a future pick. He can even get more creative and include one of our logjammed younger Dman, and improve the return.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 08/11/22 at 12:07 PM ET