Abel to Yzerman

Time To Relax A Bit

In case you don't visit the KK Hockey section, it is break time for me.

Feel free to post anything worthwhile related to the Wings in the comment section.

If big news breaks on the Wings, I will pull myself out of the hammock and post.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

stonehands-78's avatar

do’n it right, PK

?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/11/19 at 09:47 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Enjoy your well-deserved relaxation time Paul! thank you for what you do!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/11/19 at 11:35 AM ET

Let’s enjoy some Zs while you are out….

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 07/11/19 at 01:39 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Tyler Wright out as Red Wings amateur scouting director

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/11/19 at 02:01 PM ET

Tyler Wright out as Red Wings amateur scouting director

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/11/19 at 02:01 PM ET

Kinda expected that.  This video seems to show that he has limited time under Yzerman.

Posted by SYF from Jackie Redmond's blue eyes on 07/11/19 at 03:10 PM ET

It’s over a 100 deg F here in Vegas, Boss.

Posted by SYF from Jackie Redmond's blue eyes on 07/11/19 at 03:11 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Rest up Paul. cheese

Posted by bigfrog on 07/11/19 at 09:41 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Rest up old friend.  Lots of hockey fun to behold next season.

Question…..If I sends a little sumthin, sumthin to that PayPal address…will ya get it??

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, I can see Yzerman from here...... on 07/11/19 at 11:59 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Well the first day of R&R is almost complete.

Thanks everyone and yes Rumbear you can.

Why am I up so late?

The last time I binged watched was a few years ago with Leave it to Beaver and Bonanza.

Switching it up with something very different to me, Designated Survivor.

Want to go to bed but after one more episode, I’ve said that 4 times now.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/12/19 at 12:43 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Enjoy Paul, we and the NHL and hockey will still be around next month.

Posted by RWBill on 07/12/19 at 11:16 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Edmonton press release today…

The Edmonton Oilers have hired Archie Henderson as Director of Pro Scouting and Tyler Wright as Director of Amateur Scouting, effective immediately.

Archie Henderson, 62, brings over 20 years of scouting experience with him and most recently spent the last four seasons as a pro scout for the Detroit Red Wings. Prior to working for Detroit, he also worked as a pro scout for the Washington Capitals for nine seasons (1995-2004) and spent four seasons (2007-11) as a pro scout for the Ottawa Senators. Following his playing career, Henderson also served as a coach at both the major junior and pro ranks in North America and Europe.

A native of Calgary, Alberta, Henderson played hockey professionally for 11 seasons before joining the scouting ranks. Henderson was drafted by the Washington Capitals and spent time with the Capitals, Minnesota North Stars and Hartford Whalers from 1980-83, appearing in 23 NHL games. The long-time minor leaguer is regarded as one of the toughest of his time, topping 200 penalty minutes seven times before retiring in 1988. During his minor hockey career, he made stops in Port Huron and Saginaw in the International Hockey League (IHL), Nashville and Fort Worth in the Central Hockey League (CHL) and played 439 regular season games in the American Hockey League (AHL) with Hershey, Binghamton, New Haven, Nova Scotia and Maine.

Henderson was also a teammate of Oilers General Manager Ken Holland when the pair suited up for the American Hockey League’s Binghamton Whalers in 1982-83.

Tyler Wright, 46, joins the Oilers after spending the last six years (2013-19) as the Detroit Red Wings’ Director of Amateur Scouting. Prior to joining Detroit, Wright spent six years with the Columbus Blue Jackets, serving as Director of Player Development for three years (2007-10) and assumed the Director of Amateur Scouting role for three years (2010-13).

A former first-round draft selection of the Edmonton Oilers, 12th overall in 1991, Wright was selected by Columbus in the 2000 expansion draft and played 309 games as a Blue Jacket, registering 57 goals and 51 assists for 108 points with 436 penalty minutes. He also served as an alternate captain during the 2000-01, 2001-02 and 2003-04 seasons. His best campaign was the Jackets’ inaugural 2000-01 season, when he posted a career-high 16 goals and 16 assists with a team-leading 140 penalty minutes. He was traded to Anaheim for former Red Wings’ star Sergei Fedorov in Nov. 2005.

The Kamsack, Saskatchewan native appeared in 613 games over 13 NHL seasons, accumulating 149 points (79G, 70A) and 854 penalty minutes with the Blue Jackets, Anaheim Ducks, Pittsburgh Penguins and Edmonton Oilers. Wright also represented Team Canada at the 1992 and 1993 (gold medal) World Junior Hockey Championship and 2002 World Hockey Championship.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/12/19 at 12:06 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Done.

Get oot and enjoy yourself.

If ya run into Stevie Y….buy him a Rum & Coke!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, I can see Yzerman from here...... on 07/12/19 at 01:36 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks Rum…

The only way I see Yzerman or anyone else, is if the stop by for a visit and find me on the couch.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/12/19 at 01:41 PM ET

Why am I up so late?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/12/19 at 12:43 AM ET

NCIS and America Says are my late night binge TV.

Posted by SYF from Jackie Redmond's blue eyes on 07/12/19 at 01:48 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Why am I up so late?

Switching it up with something very different to me, Designated Survivor.

Want to go to bed but after one more episode, I’ve said that 4 times now.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/12/19 at 12:43 AM ET

We are showing our age, Paul. I have to admit I watch Lassie on Sunday morning.  I am gearing up for season 5 of Poldark this week on PBS, and a rewatch binge of Deadwood so I can watch the movie. My lucky half watches Designated Suvivor so I watch that occasionally. I like Blacklist too…. Lots of comedy for those that aren’t too touchy are Norm MacDonald, and Bill Burr.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 07/13/19 at 01:09 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

There’s one movie I have on DVD and VHS tape (yes, I still use a VCR) and I watch it at least twice a year. It’s the “rock-umentary” The Last Waltz, the final performance of The Band at the Winter Garden Theatre in SF on Thanksgiving Day 1976.

It was filmed by Martin Scorsese and includes performances by Ronnie Hawkins, Bob Dylan, Paul Butterfield, Eric Clapton, Neil Diamond, Dr. John, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Muddy Waters, and Neil Young (among others). It also includes one pre-show studio performance of The Band with a stunning Emmylou Harris.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/13/19 at 01:38 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Well Kate, just watched the first episode of Blacklist I do believe I am hooked.

I don’t watch much of TV except for of course, hockey.

I try to relax and recharge during the summer, so I appreciate the recommendations.

OTC, The Last Waltz is great, hopefully the youngsters will check it out.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/13/19 at 07:06 PM ET

This one, OTC?

Posted by SYF from Jackie Redmond's blue eyes on 07/13/19 at 09:15 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

This one, OTC?

That’s it, SYF. I had the facts wrong before, though. That segment actually was a post-concert production they added to the film during editing.

The Band has always been my favorite group. Clapton even said one time that the greatest disappointment of his career was not getting to be a member of The Band.

Only Robbie Robertson and Garth Hudson survive today. Rick Danko, the bass player (playing the fiddle in the video), died of a heart attack at age 55. Levon Helm, the drummer (playing the mandolin in the video), died of throat cancer at age 71. And Richard Manuel, the organ player (playing the drums in the video), hung himself in a hotel room just short of his 43rd birthday.

They were a multi-talented, multi-faceted group of individuals. After the group broke up, Levon Helm had a 10-year career in films, including Coal Miner’s Daughter (playing Loretta Lynn’s father) and Mark Wahlberg’s film The Shooter.

Robbie Robertson went on to be the music producer for three of Scorcese’s major films: Raging Bull, The King of Comedy and The Wolf of Wall Street. He was a brilliant song writer and musical storyteller. Check out Storyville. His voice is amazing.

Anyway, as Paul says, I hope some of you “youngsters” check out The Last Waltz. It’s as much a history of rock and roll as it is a concert movie.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/14/19 at 03:38 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Speaking of The Band, I was there.

The one thing I remember, the overdose tents set up on the field.

And Clapton is god.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/14/19 at 03:41 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Speaking of The Band, I was there.

You lucky son of a gun.

And Clapton is god.

I agree. But listen to what he has to say about The Band in his speech at their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994.

It’s one thing to be a fan of The Band and to revere them. It’s something quite different to be one of the greatest rock and roll musicians of all time and to feel the same way about them.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/14/19 at 03:59 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks OTC and I see Clapton played with them that night.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/14/19 at 04:04 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

“The Weight” is one of my favorite songs by The Band. Too bad the production quality of that video is so poor. The version they did during The Last Waltz is much better (although it doesn’t include Clapton).

To see what The Band with Clapton on lead might have been like, check out his performance with them in The Last Waltz. It’s almost sad to see how hard Robbie Robertson worked trying to match the effortless playng of Clapton.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/14/19 at 04:24 PM ET

I have a whole lotta new respect for you, OTC:

Posted by SYF from Jackie Redmond's blue eyes on 07/15/19 at 12:09 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Levon Helm is one of my favorite musicians. The Band as a whole was great. Every musician could play multiple instruments at a high level. The were definitely students of music.

Eric Clapton is great guitarist, but the guy is music thief, a racist and overall jerk. End rant.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/15/19 at 09:56 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit

If you’re going to “rant,” dd, at least try to tell the whole strory. There’s a big difference between saying someone is a racist and saying someone was a racist.

Here’s an exerpt from an article titled “Eric Clapton opens up – even on his bizarre racist period.”

Clapton’s mental and physical decline in the mid-1970s is hard to watch. His apparent grasp of racist politics – however brief – is all the stranger when you consider that he worshipped black musicians. It’s not just offensive; it seems slightly mad. Of course, he was heavily medicated at the time. In the film, a repentant Clapton struggles to understand what came over him.

You might also want to read this article as well: Eric Clapton Confesses Shame Over Racist Remarks.

As for Clapton being a “thief,” I’d love to know what you think he stole.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/15/19 at 02:10 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Besides that JJ Cale wrote many of his other hit songs like Cocaine.  We need a side music blog to discuss this stuff. : )

Didn’t mean to rattle you on this. He is a great musician. But Duane Allman was the better guitar player

smile

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/15/19 at 02:49 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Every musician has “borrowed” at least inspiration from other musicians. That’s especially true of songs in the “blues” catagory where the original songwriters and musicians were little-known outside of their local region.

Didn’t mean to rattle you on this.

These days I think it’s imperative that posters be extremely careful about calling others a racist because that word is often used as an “easy” way to criticize someone. In Clapton’s case, the facts show that he’s nowhere near a racist these days. Your original statement made it seem quite different.

He is a great musician. But Duane Allman was the better guitar player

Well, now I know you’re just a crazy person. grin

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/15/19 at 03:10 PM ET