Abel to Yzerman

The Detroit Red Wings Have Made An Offer To Mike Green

from Craig Custance of The Athletic,

Green is the second-best defenseman in the free agent Class of 2018. At least if you’re looking for offense. Whether you like his overall game or not, that’s just the reality.

“He had a good season. Teams are always looking for right-shot defensemen. And he’s not 40 years old,” said one NHL source. “If teams are looking to improve themselves on defense this summer through free agency, there’s not much out there.”

And right now, Green is facing a decision. The Red Wings have made him both a one- and a two-year offer to stay in Detroit.

more (paid subscription)...

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

It’s great that Ken Holland is finally embracing a rebuild.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/13/18 at 10:49 AM ET

SHOCKING!!

Offered 1 and 2 year deals, any bets on the o/u for the AAV?

I’m guessing $6.75 on the 1 yr and $6.25 of the 2 yr deal

Got my fingers crossed someone else offers a three year deal while KH’s cell phone battery is dead and he can’t counter…

Posted by MZ2215 on 06/13/18 at 10:52 AM ET

Based on previous things I’ve read, I would wager the AAV is around $4.75M - $5M. He’d probably take less for more security with the 2 year. Hopefully there is no unnecessary NMC or NTC attached to either offer.
That being said we already have 6 defencemen signed for next year, 5 if Ouellet is truly already out the door. So then unless the plan is to play Kronwall as the 7th, what roster spots are open for prospects? If he does resign, that gives the guaranteed spots to Kronwall, DeKeyser, Ericsson, Daley, Green. Does that make the competition only for the 6th spot between Jensen and Cholowski/Hronek/Hicketts? I thought they would only play if they played consistently. This doesn’t even take into account if we draft a defencemen next week.
By 2019 there are only 3 defencemen on the roster now that are signed. Wouldn’t it make more sense to roll this year’s defence as 65, 52, 83, 3, and two of the Cholo/Hronek/Hicketts/6th OA, and Kronwall as the 7th? This way some of our prospects gain NHL experience so we aren’t running into 2019-2020 with 3 NHL defenders and having to hear “None of them are ready and we’re trying to be competitive” while Ken signs more vet D.
Nothing’s happened yet, but I sure hope he doesn’t sign here.

Posted by Manthanasiou87 on 06/13/18 at 12:03 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’m guessing they made the offer at about $5mil a year.

He was without a doubt the best dman on the roster last year, and it would certainly be beneficial to have someone steady on this team the next season or two - especially with Kronwall’s contract expiring next season.

Does he take up a roster spot?  Yes.  But outside of Jensen, who is pushing to be on D on this team?

Posted by TreKronor on 06/13/18 at 12:04 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

I’d say Hicketts and Sulak deserve a pretty good look at this point. But I’d rather see them replacing DK or Ouellet than Green.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 06/13/18 at 12:25 PM ET

But outside of Jensen, who is pushing to be on D on this team?

Hicketts, Hronek, Saarijarvi, maybe whoever they pick with #6.

Man, it baffles me how little people understand what a proper rebuild is supposed to look like.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/13/18 at 12:26 PM ET

Sulak is a stay at home guy and we need offense off the back end.  I’d say it’ll be hicketts or hronek.  Would like to see both.  Would like to see a vet in the pressbox if hes being outplayed.

Posted by ThatGuy on 06/13/18 at 12:59 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Sulak is a stay at home guy and we need offense off the back end.

I don’t know…the Czechs used him on their 2nd PP unit during the Worlds (I know, Hronek was on the 1st). He’s got a pretty big shot. And he’s quite a bit older, so I’d rather see if he can play right now vs. some of the younger guys who could still use some development.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 06/13/18 at 01:34 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Fine if Green is resigned, then they have to find a way to dump Kronner, DDk and “big” E (in that order). Yes, I know E wasn’t as bad last year, but he really not a good d-man.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/13/18 at 02:11 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 06/13/18 at 01:04 PM ET

I agree with you but I wouldn’t say he was our “best dman” he was our best PP dman, but remains a defensive liability.

But I agree with you, 1-2 years in my opinion is not a big deal at all, and again, its an asset that we can flip for future.

There is no NHL ready dman in our system right now, those that people think are, can battle with Jensen, if they’re that good, they should have no issue taking the spot of a 3rd pair guy.

From there, Kronwall is done this year. Ericson and Daley can be trade bait next year, and the deal cap is 2 years.

Not to mention, again, 82 games is a long season, and we have some older legs back there, they aren’t going through the season healthy.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 06/13/18 at 02:22 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I was thinking about it some more.  If the Wings can manage to get Green signed WITHOUT a full NTC/NMC, that’s like a guaranteed additional draft pick or two in the next draft.

The problem is, it seems like Green genuinely likes it in Detroit and doesn’t want to leave, so I don’t know if he’s going to take a full NTC.  Maybe a limited NTC, but as we saw a few months ago, that can limit things at the deadline.

But if they can get him signed with a full NTC, I’d do whatever it takes to get him signed for a year.  It’s like the Kovalchuk idea - guaranteed picks at the deadline (as long as they are healthy…which means Blash can’t be playing these guys 23 mins a night).

Posted by TreKronor on 06/13/18 at 03:10 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 06/13/18 at 04:10 PM ET

Do you mean withOUT a full NTC? Bkz I that’s what I was going to say. I wouldn’t hate signing him for 2 years max at $4-5mil, but I wouldn’t give him any kind of movement protection at all, even if we have to raise the dollar amount. And I’d only do that if we’re pretty sure that the youngsters are not ready for the big show and would just get hammered. Otherwise I’d bring up Hicketts/Hronek/whoever’s ready instead.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 06/13/18 at 03:28 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Yeah, I guess I said it both ways (don’t tell my wife: she always says I give mixed messages!).

So yeah, don’t give him a NTC.  Sign him.  Get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for him at the deadline wink

Posted by TreKronor on 06/13/18 at 03:32 PM ET

The Wings were going nowhere while Green was making $6mln per year, he is not going to get us in the playoffs, he won’t fill up any seats so all he will do is decrease our chances for a top pick.

Posted by bababooey on 06/13/18 at 05:13 PM ET

The best thing happened to KH was when Smith rejected his offer. I hope Green rejects KH offers too. If not, sign Green, Kovalchuk, Plecanec and Kunitz and let the rebuild begin!

Posted by VPalmer on 06/13/18 at 06:25 PM ET

——that’s like a guaranteed additional draft pick or two in the next draft.
—— I would not be using the word guarantee here after last year trading deadline.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/13/18 at 06:28 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Holland thinking of offense since the Red Wings lost so many one goal games last season. It does hinder the rebuild. The old catch 22. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 06/13/18 at 07:19 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

If Green was he best dman on the team why wasn’t he on the first PP.  Go for it Kenny sign him for too much money and term and then have problems signing your RFA players in August. ” But, but all they money is gone”. Broken record.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/13/18 at 07:45 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

first of all ... Daley would have been our best Dman if he didn’t have to constantly clean up after Ericsson.

second ... I don’t see how they can justify Green’s offencive output as being a positive feature of his game while his D is so bad.

Sure he can carry the puck thru the neutral zone effectively, but once he hits the blueline he brain-farts ... can’t make a good pass ... can’t find a good place to take a shot.

He’s a sloppy mess. His game is so chaotic it harms more than it does good.

I didn’t like when we signed him 3 years ago and I hope like hell Green rejects any Detroit offer this time around.

I would much rather see Hicketts, Hronek, and Sulak get a shot to stick than have to tolerate Green’s mess for another season or 2.

Hopefully, this is just an offer in good faith not meant to be accepted.  Maybe more teams will step up and take intrest now that Holland has made an initial offer. Someones gotta prime the pump ... LOL

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 06/13/18 at 09:54 PM ET

So, would you rather see: DeKeyser, Daley, Ericcson, Kronwall, Green, Jensen

Or see: Hicketts, Hronek, Cholowski, McIlrath, Saarijarvi, Pick #6

I would choose option #2

However, resigning Green is not so bad if he can once again be traded at the deadline. If this season ends with Nyquist, Howard and Green on different teams and a couple of 1st round 2019 picks coming back, it is a big hit and the team is setup for success in the year 2020 (+) which is not too far into the future after all.

Posted by mtta on 06/13/18 at 11:27 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

If Green is a sign & trade I can deal with that as long as the trade happens before Christmas.

I’d be happy with the following pairs:

Daley / Hronek
DeKeyser / Sulak
Kronwall / Hicketts
Jensen rotating in (if someone needs a shift off or is having a bad night use him)

McIlrath is a bigger pylon than Ericsson
Saarijarvi needs 1 more year in GR
Cholowski may out-play Sulak ... we’ll see what happens in camp.

That’s right ... no Ericsson in my lineup ... I’m smart enough and brave enough to bite the bullet and buy out his contract.

The only way to find out if our prospects are any good is to play them in actual NHL games that count.  If they suck, send them packing .. we got more where they came from.

We’ll never know if they’re good or not by playing dead weight like Ericsson and/or re-signing sloppy messes like Green.

Oh ... one more thing ... when management says we need more scoring from our defence they really mean “we know our forwards suck so we have to find a way to cover that up”.

Relying on your D to produce points is like the Pistons relying on winning games with 3-pointers on a nightly basis.

Ain’t gunna happen ... yer gunna lose.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 06/14/18 at 01:44 AM ET

For those that think signing Green is a good idea for trade bait, not if he has an NTC or anything modified to allow him the choice of where he can or cannot go

Posted by bababooey on 06/14/18 at 10:05 AM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 06/14/18 at 02:44 AM ET

“Tie goes to the vet.” And by “vet” we mean “guy who’s making more than you”. And by “tie” we mean, “the person who is making more money.”. You’d have to have a Larkin-like camp to make the opening day roster on this team.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 06/14/18 at 10:43 AM ET

I don’t think Green gets in the way of promoting a prospect. Ouelett is probably gone. The best of Jensen, Hicketts, Russo, Hicketts, Chowolski, Hronek, Sulak or first round pick can take the 6th roster spot and if 2 of them are worthy, Ericsson slides can slide to #7.

Ideally it would be a 2 year deal with Kronwall done after this season. Must be a tradable contract that could be moved either of the 2 years.

I’d expect the contract number would be around $5M especially considering the injury concerns.

BTW, buying out Ericsson now makes no sense. Do you really want to drag his contract out 4 more years instead of 2?

Posted by evileye on 06/14/18 at 11:02 AM ET

I don’t think Green gets in the way of promoting a prospect.

Objectively Green (or any UFA vet) would 100% be in the way of promoting a prospect.

Ericsson slides can slide to #7.

Bull.

There’s not a shred of evidence that Holland or Blashill ever have or ever would even consider that option.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/14/18 at 11:36 AM ET

Posted by evileye on 06/14/18 at 12:02 PM ET

^This.  I’d sooner waive him and eat the $3M than buy him out.

Posted by EthrDemon on 06/14/18 at 11:43 AM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Posted by evileye on 06/14/18 at 12:02 PM ET

^This.  I’d sooner waive him and eat the $3M than buy him out.

Play him or waive him. I’m sure GR could use a big… guy with a high number.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 06/14/18 at 11:57 AM ET

Ericsson slides can slide to #7.

Sorry, but going from never missing a shift after awful play to being #7 just won’t happen.

Posted by Manthanasiou87 on 06/14/18 at 12:16 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

There is no way Green gets signed without a NMC. And Kenny will give him one.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/14/18 at 01:18 PM ET

Ericsson slides can slide to #7.

Posted by Manthanasiou87 on 06/14/18 at 01:16 PM ET

Just like the narrative going into last year about Kronwall playing less minutes and taking the second half of back-to-back’s off. Followed by him missing the start and then playing 70 in a row. If 52 and 55 can put their equipment on and hobble to from the room to the ice they’ll play every damn night.

Posted by MZ2215 on 06/14/18 at 02:53 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

There is no way Green gets signed without a NMC. And Kenny will give him one.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/14/18 at 02:18 PM ET

The NM/TC is the downfall of the Detroit Red Wings. I don’t know why Ken Holland thought that giving them out like candy was a good idea.  They’re SUPPOSED to be a tool to get less money or term. NOPE! Helm untradeable, DDK Untradeable, Niel, Goose, Abby… Just a litany.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 06/14/18 at 03:27 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I’m okay with a Green signing, so long as we’re not giving him more than $5.5mil per.

While it’s probably Green would end up taking a kid’s spot, I’d rather Green take it than someone older and slower… or just slower.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 06/15/18 at 01:42 AM ET

^This.  I’d sooner waive him and eat the $3M than buy him out.

Oh good, another option that’s never, ever going to even be considered by the Wings.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/15/18 at 07:25 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

You guys crack me up, Ericson was one of our more consistent defenseman last season. Ericson doesn’t produce offense, he makes a gaffe about every 10 games that’s just mind boggling, he makes a pass at least once a game that is also a brain fart that results in a no harm no foul play.  The hatred of him paints that picture to be some turnstile at Cedar Point to a Carnival game that just gives pucks to the opposition for trying, and that’s not reality.

The reality is that he’s on the 1st unit PK, and plays against the top lines night in night out, 2 different NHL coaches, and a pile of assistants continue to have him hop over the boards.  In reality Ericson is a league standard #3 dman in today’s NHL tops, maybe a #4 on a contender, and we just don’t like his contract and that he never amounted to more.

When we reach the last year of his deal, he can be traded for more return than we got for many of the departed favorites like Vanek.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 06/19/18 at 06:48 AM ET