Abel to Yzerman

Local Reaction To The 2020 NHL Draft Lottery

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

The Red Wings didn’t win much during this past regular season and added one more loss Friday.

The team failed to win Friday’s NHL Draft Lottery, and will wind up pickingfourth whenever the actual NHL Entry Draft will be held (probably in October).

But let the conspiracy theories begin, as a team who will be playing in the qualifying round in July/August will be picking first overall.

Despite a 2.5% of being drawn, the placeholder team from the qualifying round won the lottery, beating the odds for sure.

continued

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

The league announced in late May the lottery would feature the seven teams that were at the bottom of the standings at the time of the shutdown, plus eight qualifying-round losers. Since Friday’s Phase 1 saw a play-in team land the first pick, there will be a Phase 2 drawing after the qualifying round to determine the team’s identity.

What it boils down to is that a team the NHL deemed good enough to compete for the 2020 Stanley Cup can also win the right to draft Alexis Lafrenière, the consensus top pick. Meanwhile the Wings, who have fallen from 25th in 2016-17, 27th in 2017-18, and 28th in 2018-19 to rock bottom, got shafted.

“They have to do what they have to do,” Yzerman said. “Anything I say is going to be self-serving. They have to do what they have to do.”

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Center Quinton Byfield of Sudbury (OHL) and left wing Tim Stuetzle of Mannheim (Germany) are widely expected to be taken second and third, in either order. If that is the case, the Red Wings will have the opportunity to select Jamie Drysdale of Erie (OHL), rated the top defenseman in the draft.

Other possible picks at No. 4 could include defensemen Jake Sanderson (U.S. National Team Development Program), center Cole Perfetti of Saginaw (OHL) and Swedish forwards Alexander Holtz (Djurgardens), Anton Lundell (HIFK) and Lucas Raymond (Frolunda).

Yzerman was not surprised the Red Wings dropped, noting they had only an 18.5 percent chance at the top pick and a 50.6 percent chance of falling to fourth. They finished 23 points behind the NHL’s next-worst team.

“Realistically, I’m prepared to be sitting here today not talking about the first pick,” Yzerman said during a media Zoom call. “The eight playoff teams (that lose in the qualifying round) had a 24.5 percent chance combined of getting the top pick. So, the odds were better that the first pick went to (one of) the bottom eight than to us.”

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

“I am not surprised,” Wings general manager Steve Yzerman said Friday night, after finding out the results of the Phase 1 draw. “We had 18.5% chance of winning the first pick. The eight playoff teams had a 24.5% chance combined of getting the pick, so the odds were better that the first pick went to the bottom eight than to us.”

I am glad Stevie cooly got this dig in for another *#$%@& up NHL transaction. That’s why there are in the basement of the major sports leagues.

I am not surprised either by where the Wings ended up. It’s so predictable when it comes to the Wings and the NHL. BIG FROG looked into his Bettman crystal ball and read us the future.  He was correct in his assertion.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/27/20 at 10:50 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

*their

Hung over some

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/27/20 at 12:00 PM ET

It’s so predictable when it comes to the Wings and the NHL.

Exactly, because as we all remember, when the Wings were a perennial playoff team, MOST teams that missed the playoffs moved up in the draft, right? And it’s only been the Wings who have ever moved down in the draft.

There’s never been an organization in the history of professional sports that has been more screwed over than the Detroit Red Wings have been in the last few years.

Posted by BaromirBragr on 06/27/20 at 12:09 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by BaromirBragr on 06/27/20 at 12:09 PM ET

Please do me a favor and not respond to my comments. You bring nothing to the commentary here. If it was my site you would of been bounced long ago.

Thanks, have a great weekend!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/27/20 at 01:27 PM ET

Grrr, argh, the Wings were clearly screwed by the NHL because the most likely outcome happened!

Waaaaa, waaaaa, waaaaaaaaaaa!

Better?

Posted by BaromirBragr on 06/27/20 at 01:52 PM ET

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/27/20 at 01:27 PM ET

Please do me a favour and not respond to my comments. You have no obligation to do so, and it just makes me laugh. If this was your site, I wouldn’t be giving it my traffic because I have no interest in conspiracies or playing the victim

Posted by BaromirBragr on 06/27/20 at 01:54 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Baromir…, if you are here just to stir things up, well it will end very soon.

The decision is up to you, otherwise I will make it myself.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/27/20 at 01:55 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by BaromirBragr on 06/27/20 at 12:09 PM ET

Nice to have Char Dee back

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 06/27/20 at 05:28 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Wish I was wrong with my prediction, but I have seen Gary Bettman’s past moves concerning the Red Wings. sick

Posted by bigfrog on 06/27/20 at 07:55 PM ET