Abel to Yzerman

Yzerman’s Work Begins

from Joh Niyo of the Detroit News,

...then it’ll be up to Yzerman and his front-office staff to make the decisions that'll shift this rebuild into its next phase.

That starts with Blashill's expiring contract, of course, a topic Yzerman politely tabled until after the season when asked about it Monday.

But like Bertuzzi, Vrana is scheduled for restricted free agency this summer as well, giving Detroit the option of re-signing him to a short-term contract before deciding whether to extend him on a deal similar to the one Mantha signed last November.

Detroit also took on Panik’s remaining contract in the trade, giving Washington salary-cap relief in exchange for more draft compensation. But that also helps the Wings in this summer’s NHL expansion draft for the new Seattle franchise. Now Yzerman can leave Panik exposed along with Frans Nielsen, if he chooses, and protect a player like Vladislav Namestnikov instead.

As for all those draft picks? With a dozen in his pocket, including two first-rounders and seven over the first three rounds, Yzerman has more to work with than any of his peers heading into this summer’s entry draft, whether he gets lucky in the lottery or not. That could add more leverage in a year where the class of prospects is more of a mystery than usual, thanks to a pandemic that wreaked havoc with junior hockey in North America and Europe this season.

“It probably is more unpredictable this year,” said Yzerman, who also owns 10 picks in the 2022 draft at the moment. “You can look at it two ways: You may get really lucky, or you may get really unlucky.”

But with all that draft capital, the Wings will be in a position to move up to grab a prospect they really like who's sliding, whether that’s in the middle of the first round or early on Day 2.

more ($$$)

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today reassigned right wing Givani Smith to the American Hockey League’s Grand Rapids Griffins from the team’s taxi squad.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/14/21 at 10:05 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

If he were re-signing Blashill, why wait until the end-of-season conversation?  My tea leaves show a new boss behind the bench in Detroit next season.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 04/15/21 at 06:51 AM ET

I also predict a new coach next year, but I think in the last month or so Blashill is doing the best job of his whole 6 year tenure here.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/15/21 at 07:28 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

I don’t disagree with that, either.

But leaving a coach with lame-duck status to wind down the season seems pretty indicative to me.  I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a handshake deal with an established-but-currently-out-of-work coach already in place.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 04/15/21 at 07:40 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Whether you think Blashil does a great job with what he has, terrible job, or so-so job (my vote), Blashill was always going to be fired at the end of this season in my opinion, unless there is just no viable coaching options available.

The timing was made for it, over 1/2 of our roster is turning over, we should have a full offseason, full camp, full pre-season. Moreso, he’s been here for a long time, a new voice is needed for the sake of change, and to show a cultural shift to be competitive vs. treading basement water to stock up for a rebuild.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/15/21 at 07:50 AM ET

Pretty much agree. The team seems to be playing better of late and Blashill hasn’t done anything egregious enough to get canned before the season ends. Yzerman could have easily extended him for another year or two but I believe he agrees it’s time to get a new voice in the room.

Posted by MZ2215 on 04/15/21 at 07:59 AM ET

the ongoing consensus appears to be, a new man behind the bench.

time to get your crystal ball out, who’s it going to be?

Posted by rickytarr on 04/15/21 at 08:21 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I think a coaching change will be dependent on how much Yzerman wants to be involved. Yzerman ask Blashill to change his scheme mid last season. Those changes were slow to evolve but the last ten games or so that season we started seeing a difference. I think we saw more of this evolution this season with better talent Yzerman acquired. I have no idea of how much Yzerman has been involved this season but i am sure he is very close to the coach’s development.

I will not be shocked if Blashill is back.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 04/15/21 at 08:31 AM ET

time to get your crystal ball out, who’s it going to be?

I’ve never been much of a betting man, but if there’s someone out there who wants to lay down money AGAINST it being Gallant well then you just let me know how much of your money you’re willing to hand over.

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/15/21 at 08:43 AM ET

The new coach will be a total surprise to most of us I think. SY does things not many can foresee (Seidel pick, Mantha trade, etc)

Posted by VPalmer on 04/15/21 at 09:12 AM ET

BladesOfSteel's avatar

If you look at Yzerman’s history of hiring coaches from his time in TB, he hired Guy Boucher and Jon Cooper, who had no NHL experience at the time.

Don’t be surprised if Yzerman picks someone from left field and surprises people with a name out of nowhere.

Posted by BladesOfSteel on 04/15/21 at 09:17 AM ET

I called the mantha trade a month or 2 ago.  I also wouldn’t be surprised to see blashill back. I think he’s going to be replaced but Yzerman went through something similar with cooperand he kept him.

Posted by ThatGuy on 04/15/21 at 09:23 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I do think Blash will get another year to be honest.  If Yzerman wanted to make a change, he has had plenty of chances to do so.

What is amazing to me is, as bad as the Wings have been (and as lucky as we are to not have an 82 game season to suffer through this year), it’s amazing there are 5 teams below them in the standings.  Granted, Vancouver doesn’t really belong there since they’ve played quite a few less games.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/15/21 at 09:32 AM ET

to suffer through this year),

With the exception of Nashville games and maybe another one or two, the games are watchable lately imo. It’s pretty exciting to see how Ras and Zadima are rounding up into complete players.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/15/21 at 10:30 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I watched most of the games until about halfway into the season, then just quit because it was a waste of time for me personally.  I have caught a few minutes here and there of the last few games and what I have seen has been much better.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/15/21 at 10:34 AM ET

This could go either way, Yzerman has dismantled Hollands core here in short order, now (seasons end) would be the time to make the change before Raymond and Sieder get here.  Although, you could argue the same for Blash to keep his job. Next season feels like the start of a new era

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 04/15/21 at 10:34 AM ET

valid point JD,

surmise there’s respect at the top for the way he has conducted himself.

possibly another job in the organization?

would a strong finish to the season change perceptions?

Posted by rickytarr on 04/15/21 at 11:12 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I agree with others, he’ll be looking to someone up and coming, someone without NHL experience, unless Ilitch lets him break the bank on Coaching MVP Rod Brindamore.

Why would you come here knowing you would not win for 2 seasons minimum? This roster is still void of elite talent, the Mantha trade tells us Yzerman believes the competitive window for this team isn’t opening for another 2-3 years, and we have so many picks, I just don’t see Stevie making real substantive improvement by way of adding an elite UFA or trading for a higher end player either to improve us to the point of diminishing that pool.

I don’t think there’s a chance in hell that he takes another job in the organization, he’s too young in coaching terms to “retire” in a front office role. He’ll look to get behind a bench with elsewhere.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/15/21 at 11:45 AM ET

I think/hope that you have it right, but PTSD ya know.

At least he didn’t add the “I think he’s been doing a real good job”, which I think he was offering up around this time last year.
If he starts floating this message I might have to curl up in a ball and take a nap for another year.

*******

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/15/21 at 07:50 AM ET

Posted by Ventr on 04/15/21 at 01:09 PM ET