KK Members Blog

Detroit Red Wings Trade News/Rumo(u)rs Open Thread

What will the Wings do?

What do you hope they do?

Who are you following or listening to and what are you hearing?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Members Blog | Permalink

Comments

TeamDub's avatar

Accurate source so far; claims Wings pursuing Zidlicky.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 03/01/15 at 03:14 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I really like our team.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/01/15 at 03:16 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

If the Sharks become sellers could Brent Burns become available?

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 03/01/15 at 03:17 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

I am terrified that Holland will choose this, of all years, to make a “big move.”

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 03/01/15 at 03:17 PM ET

Soupsnake's avatar

Why? This is the best team we’ve had since 2009. If he thinks we have a chance to go to the Final, why not make a big move?

I don’t want to jeopardize the team’s future, but if a “big move” is there to be made, I say go for it!

Posted by Soupsnake from Canton, Mi on 03/01/15 at 03:25 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

If it’s a “big” move that makes sense, sure - but I still have that “Legwand” taste in my mouth.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 03/01/15 at 03:26 PM ET

I would love for him to make a big move.  I like our team but I don’t love their chances of beating two of Montreal, Boston and Tampa as it stands, but adding a piece or two could definitely help.

Posted by Garth on 03/01/15 at 03:27 PM ET

Legwand wasn’t a “big move” though, it was a panic move because Detroit was fresh out of NHL centres.

Posted by Garth on 03/01/15 at 03:28 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Garth, believe it or not, I completely agree. I suppose I’ve just lost faith in Holland’s ability to fill needs in an appropriate fashion without overspending. I’m really pretty torn, actually.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 03/01/15 at 03:29 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Any chance Shane Doan could be traded? He’d be a great fit IMO.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 03/01/15 at 03:35 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 03/01/15 at 03:37 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I really like our team.

I’m in complete agreement with you, Stoney.

Who is out there that is an impact player, makes the Wings much better, and, is not a mercenary? Phaneuf is too used to losing, so scratch him. Zidlicky is 38. Scratch him too.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 03/01/15 at 03:46 PM ET

I like our team too, but I’d also like them to win.

Posted by Garth on 03/01/15 at 03:54 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

“Hearing its John Moore + Zuccarello for Yandle.”

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 03/01/15 at 04:15 PM ET

Zidlicky are you kidding me?

Posted by DieByTheWing on 03/01/15 at 04:17 PM ET

Meanwhile rangers might get yandle
Sigh

Posted by DieByTheWing on 03/01/15 at 04:17 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 03/01/15 at 03:17 PM ET

I don’t understand the logic behind folks who believe Holland would mismanage the team.

What I’m more terrified of is all the posters who will dog whatever move Holland makes and completely flip their shit, as if it’s the end of the world or something.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 03/01/15 at 04:19 PM ET

I find it interesting that Holland and his Lemmings (including Develano & Illitch) all just accept that “if Holland couldn’t find one, there was just no deal”.

How is it that so many other teams find a way to improve their team via trade?  How is it that so many other teams build or rebuild to a level that FA players choose to go to them?  Who cares about the playoffs if a team can’t go deep?  Maybe there really is no deal, this year??  But he hasn’t done anything meaningful in over 7 years.  Loyalty should be rewarded but also matched with performance.  The drafting done by Holland has been impressive.  His inability to supplement his team through trade or free agency is documented and limits the capacity of his team.

I am not saying fire him, I am nor saying he sucks.  I am saying he is struggling in a portion of his job and I hope Jimmy D & Mr I are addressing it.

Is it reasonable to have to wait 10 years to not have Big E as your number 2 D & mentor of a stable of young, promising D on the Griffins.

Where is the media even questioning this?  Gone, just sitting quiet praying he will grace them by answering their call.  Only George has written an honest and objective piece about Holland’s decisions.

I guess Kenny has to wait until he doesn’t like his team to stop resting.

Posted by pondrockit on 03/01/15 at 04:25 PM ET

Ekman-Larsson for Pulkkinen, D-man prospect, and 1st rd pick

Posted by VegasMike on 03/01/15 at 04:37 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

People will lose their stuff no matter what Holland does tomorrow.

Just like the “we have to move some of these prospects because not all of them will make the team, much less ever play in the NHL…oh you mean we should trade THAT one? NOOOOOOOOOOO”.

Phaneuf will vastly improve the defense of the Wings. How you may ask? He pushes an inconsistent Ericsson out of the top pairing, possibly down to the third pairing if Q comes back to playing similar to how he was with DK before he got hurt. He provides some offense, he provides some douche-ness, he provides some nasty cheap stuff that is needed on this d-core.

What would I give for him?

Oh in a perfect world I’d love to see Weiss, Kindl and possibly a 2nd rounder for the guy…and maybe see if the Laffs would eat a million or two of salary (doubtful but who knows). Hell, I’d even throw in Sproul OR Ouellette if that would make the deal move (instead of the 2nd rounder).

Is that above pipe dream gonna happen? I doubt it because it seems like Toronto already found some cap space via trades but who knows?

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 03/01/15 at 05:31 PM ET

Neznarf's avatar

Could Holland not come up with a competitive offer for Yandle?  It seems like we could’ve easily given up players comparable to what the Ranger’s gave up.

Posted by Neznarf on 03/01/15 at 06:31 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Accurate source so far; claims Wings pursuing Zidlicky.

I thought all along this was a good possibility, but strange things happen. LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 03/01/15 at 07:19 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Sooo…. Erik Cole?

This is what I was afraid of. A Holland “big trade.”

Backman and who got coughed up?

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 03/01/15 at 07:40 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Backman and who got coughed up?

Janmark-Nylén

Cole prolly taking Mules spot ... he may be done for the year?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/01/15 at 07:53 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

overall I think a good trade for the Wings.

(not a blockbuster but those don’t happen like they use to)

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/01/15 at 07:55 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

The Detroit Red Wings have landed that big, physical, offensive forward they were seeking, acquiring veteran left wing Erik Cole from the Dallas Stars.

The Red Wings sent prospects Janmark and Mattias Backman (who returned to Sweden earlier this season) and a second-round pick to the Stars. In return, they also acquired a third-round selection.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Cole plays an abrasive style and has good offensive skills. He has 18 goals and 15 assists, along with a plus-4 rating, in 57 games this season.

The 12-year NHL veteran has played for Carolina, Montreal, Edmonton and Dallas. He was part of the Hurricanes’ Stanley Cup-winning team in 2006.

Khan!

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/01/15 at 08:03 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Cole on the trade.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/01/15 at 08:41 PM ET

This is what I was afraid of. A Holland “big trade.”

I actually really like it.  18 goals, 116 hits, basically Abdelkader with even better offensive ability.  A really good rental.

Posted by Garth on 03/01/15 at 10:04 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

OK wise guy put together the Yandle trade with our assets who do we give up in comparison????  Leave the draft choices as is cause we will be right there with the Rangers…. ok who do we give in comparison?????

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 03/01/15 at 10:17 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

So it’s Zidlicky for a conditional 3rd.

Not ideal due to Zidlicky’s age and declining skill/speed, but very low-risk.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 03/02/15 at 01:12 PM ET