GIF- Evgeni Malkin’s Match Penalty

5 for illegal check to the head and a match penalty.

added 9:50pm, video below.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: evgeni+malkin

Comments

Paul's avatar

Oshie did leave the game but has returned.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/07/18 at 10:07 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Twitter reaction seems about 50/50.

Oshie skated into Malkin, or Malkin hit him.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/07/18 at 10:18 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

just wow ...

first, Oshie was going after Malkin ... not smart but Malkin had the puck and Oshie was thinking defence.

second, because Malkin is so much bigger than Oshie, it looks like Oshie has his head down,

Malkin had nothing else to hit.

Oshie pulled a Dallas Drake .. he led with his face.

If Malkin gets blamed for this its just wrong.
If I were Malkin I’d break my contract and go back to Russia.
Screw Bettman and his pussification of the NHL.
If a player can’t defend himself….

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 11/08/18 at 06:16 AM ET

Remember how pav used to hit people hitting him?  He would do something similar in the corners from time to time.  I think this is a case of Oshie being a little smaller but it’s def 50/50 on fault- eitherway I wouldn’t say it’s a “dirty” play and I don’t like Malkin at all

Posted by SevensForTed on 11/08/18 at 06:33 AM ET

Wow, what a joke of a penalty.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/08/18 at 08:50 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Oshie pulled a Dallas Drake .. he led with his face.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 11/08/18 at 06:16 AM ET

I’m not a fan of Malkin.  I think he’s dirty more often than not.  He doesn’t play with an edge like Ovechkin does, he’s just dirty and takes cheapshots at people after whistles and stuff.

In this case however.. I think I agree.  Why exactly is Oshie leading with his face?  Malkin *does* move his arm…. barely.  If he doesn’t move his arm though, I’m not convinced Oshie doesn’t hit him anyways.

I’m all for protecting the players but… at a certain point the players also need to protect themselves.  there’s no excuse for Oshie leading with his face.  And as much as I dislike him… Malkin does, in fact, have a right to protect himself and his space.

Needs to be a learning moment for Oshie.

And BTW Hockeytown Wax…. wow, someone else remembers the whole “Dallas Drake coming into the league leading with his face because he was so used to having the full cage in NCAA” thing.  I thought that was just me that always remembered that weird anecdote.

Posted by Primis on 11/08/18 at 09:04 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

The thing is though, Malkin has NO NEED to throw his elbow up to Oshie’s head.  He could lower his shoulder if he wants, which is going to be better because he’s not thrusting a part of his body.  In this case though he moves his elbow up and purposely into Oshie’s face.

Another thing.  Malkin passes the puck, then proceeds to hit Oshie.  If he casually “subtly” interferes with him, that is okay.  But to actually hit him is not a legal play; neither of them were engaged with the puck at that point.

Regarding Oshie’s head being down.  Heads being down is my biggest pet peeve against players getting hit along the boards.  However - in this case Oshie is skating forward (not standing stationary at the boards), and it’s tough if not impossible to skate forward without your head leaning forward and being slightly down.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/08/18 at 10:30 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 11/08/18 at 10:30 AM ET

I totally agree. Malkin has had some dirty hits over his career and the league mostly turned their head. He didn’t need to throw the elbow.

If this was a non-star player would this conversation be happening?

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 11/08/18 at 11:02 AM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 11/08/18 at 10:30 AM ET

I’m on the same page. I’ve watched this over and over and though I agree the contact was probably unavoidable, Malkin does raise his shoulder.
I’m 50/50 on this one.

Some of you can complain all you want about game going soft, but hits to the head are not necessary and are completely avoidable 90% of the time.

Posted by George0211 on 11/08/18 at 11:03 AM ET

So much bigger? Malkin is 6’3 and Oshie is 6’1. I would not call it so much bigger.

Posted by George0211 on 11/08/18 at 11:06 AM ET

The thing is though, Malkin has NO NEED to throw his elbow up to Oshie’s head.

I guess it’s good that he did absolutely nothing of the sort then.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/08/18 at 11:12 AM ET

Paul's avatar

No further discipline for Malkin.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/08/18 at 11:17 AM ET

No further discipline for Malkin.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/08/18 at 11:17 AM ET

No one had any doubt

Posted by George0211 on 11/08/18 at 11:18 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

He gets away with another questionable hit. In another year he’ll do the same thing, and no punishment.

If Wilson does this it is a 5 plus game suspension.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/08/18 at 11:20 AM ET

I’m all for player safety, but this looks like soccer.

Posted by leftwing on 11/08/18 at 12:43 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’m all for player safety, but this looks like soccer.

I missed the part where Oshie wasn’t actually hit but proceeded to fall, roll around, and scream in complete agony while trying to work up some tears.

Sorry…couldn’t resist.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/08/18 at 12:45 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

No further discipline for Malkin.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/08/18 at 11:17 AM ET

Of course. If this was a low level player there would have been disciplinary action.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 11/08/18 at 12:49 PM ET

Uh huh. Sure.

He shouldn’t have gotten a penalty in the first place, was that some concession that Malkin got because he’s a superstar?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/08/18 at 01:44 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Seems like a real double standard on discipline in the NHL.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 11/08/18 at 02:25 PM ET

First contact was shoulder to the head. Elbow came later, I think elbow hit chest.
I don’t know why this was even penalty. Malkin didn’t change his trajectory, Oshie hit Malkin. Players should be able to brace themselves for impact. In this case, it was on Oshie to avoid headshot, since he is the one throwing a bodycheck.
I think optics played a part here. Oshie hit Malkin’s shoulder with his head, and that should be completely legal. However, Malkin raised his elbow so it seemed he hit Oshie with elbow. That would explain 5+game, and why there is (correctly) no additional discipline.

Posted by Davor on 11/08/18 at 05:38 PM ET

When I look at it full speed, it reminds me of the hit Smith threw in a pre-season several years ago when he extended elbow to catch a player he would have otherwise missed (against Chicago, I think). Only on slow replays it is clear that Oshie hits Malkin fully in the shoulder, and Malkin is making no move to hit Oshie.

Posted by Davor on 11/08/18 at 05:42 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

If you watch the video when you see Malkins number from behind you can see he did cut tword the net to make the contact. It’s not a big move but it’s there.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 11/08/18 at 06:35 PM ET