Are You Ready For Sign And Trade Deals?

from Kevin Allen of USA TODAY,

The 95-day-old NHL lockout has come down to a few issues, but each is very important to both parties. From a fan standpoint, the issue that will change the game the most is the owners' request for a five-year limit on free agent contracts or seven years from teams re-signing their own players.

Although no one can be sure exactly how that would play out, the educated guess is it will mean even fewer stars entering free agency and more sign-and-trade situations.

"You are going to exactly what you see in the NBA," said former NHL general manager Craig Button. "You will sign your player for the longer deal and you will trade for assets."

If a team was planning to try sign Suter last summer as a free agent, and these rules were in place, would it have been willing to give up a first-round pick, or another player, to Nashville to have the Predators sign him for the two extra years and then trade him?

"I think you would do that," Button said. "But what the players really lose here is the ability to go out and really have people compete for their services. This would be a big loss for players."

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Big loss for players? So what… “You did not build that!!” - I’d say to them.

Posted by 94now on 12/20/12 at 03:00 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

There is no “THAT” without the players. But then again,  you didn’t build it, either. Neither did ANY of the current owners. Neither did Bettman. So much for the bumper sticker answer to the complex problems of the day.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/20/12 at 03:04 PM ET

I pay to play. I pay to watch the game.
In my opinion love of the game has a value that has to be substaracted from paycheck towards those individuals who made the players the stars they are. I disrespect those who always credit a success to themselves. If club gets more out of the player they have grown, it is well deserved in most instances.

Posted by 94now on 12/20/12 at 03:56 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Am I ready for “Sign and trade?”

I’m ready for that, “2 for the price of 1,” “Buy 2, get another for 50% off,” and anything else they want to do, as long as they DROP THE *#$%@& PUCK ALREADY.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 12/20/12 at 04:00 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

City and state governments build facilities for sports organizations which are owned by billionaires, and raise taxes as a result.

When a city government spends $10 million or $100 million on a stadium, where do you think the money came from?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/20/12 at 09:05 PM ET

1. As long as owners spend money on hockey I have absolutely no problem with them.
2. All the money there is comes from people. However to think that someone spends people’s money is silly. No one asks the plumber how he spends money collected for fixing the sink. Government is not exactly your plumber, but they provide the services that have to be paid for often very same way. People can change the plumber they use or government they have.
3. Hockey league cannot be a free market enterprize. Market has no need for losers. Hockey league cannot fundamentally function w/o losing clubs. Hence loser must be supported or the league will not live. Therfore NHL is a wealfare establishment and there is nothing wrong with it. The argument is who is to carry out the financial burden for it, players or owners. I think - both. Therefore players salaries cannot be detrmined by the free market rules as players want. The redisdtribution should eventually take place.

Posted by 94now on 12/21/12 at 10:34 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

on point two - not true. I work in the public sector and how I choose to spend the money I earn has been a point of political talk radio fodder for years.

on point three - US Labor Law is not framed that way because the league is not one entity, it is many (supposedly competing) entities who are illegally colluding to one end, which is a cartel operation that limits competition and sets prices. As far as the “OUGHT” aspect of your post, I can’t say I disagree with your argument. It doesn’t fit the “IS” of the law, though.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/21/12 at 12:01 PM ET

I agree with OUGHT vs. IS point of veiw you posted. They try to stick square peg into round hole. What is next, then? New hockey league based on OUGHT?

Posted by 94now on 12/21/12 at 12:52 PM ET