Abel to Yzerman

Welcome To Bally Sports Detroit

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Because they’ve made their brand toxic

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/27/21 at 11:08 AM ET

Bent's avatar

I don’t care what they call the stupid channels, just make them available to me so I can watch them somehow.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/27/21 at 11:25 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Hirose and Smith back to the taxi squad and to save the Wings some cap money.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/27/21 at 11:25 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Boy, I would love to have been a fly on the wall at the meetings that decided they needed an operation for Okla-effing-homa, but could ditch the Carolinas and Tennessee!

Posted by dougie on 01/27/21 at 11:46 AM ET

but could ditch the Carolinas and Tennessee!

Would you love to re-read the article which states that they aren’t “ditching” either one?

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 01/27/21 at 11:50 AM ET

Paul's avatar

PresidentJoeByzerman, please stop with the finding of what you consider flaws from other KK/A2Y members.

It’s not your job here unless that is your intent and it won’t last long.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/27/21 at 11:53 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Gambling is just taking over

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/27/21 at 12:01 PM ET

Gambling is happily irrelevant to me.
I’d be bad at it anyway if I tried.

I know some folks on here indulge in it
very occasionally and are smart about it.

But I do worry about people especially desperate maybe
to make up some money they’ve lost in the past year.
The Hockey Guy (YouTube channel) did an extended
run through of the Evander Kane situation and talked about
how his family was seriously impacted by a gambling addiction.
It was pretty thoughtful and down to earth.

I’m not Mr. “Ban it Because Some People Have Problems”

But it’s like weed or anything - even if you favor it being legal, it’s common sense
that having it available starting at low prices on every corner with advertising everywhere is not only going to be obnoxious - it’s going to make it almost unavoidable for all but those who really don’t like it and aren’t interested.
You could insert any semi-controlled substance or activity.

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/27/21 at 12:23 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

This is a joke, right?

Please tell me this is a joke.

Man, reality is weird.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 01/27/21 at 01:11 PM ET

Primis's avatar

This is ridiculous.

So within what, a week of the news that a prominent player in the league has enormous gambling debt because of his major addiction/problem… we get THIS, rights-holders to the sport openly changing their branding to promote gambling?...

All of this while every.  Single.  Time.  I turn on a game I get bombarded with “HeY gUyS SpOrTs BeTtInG iS NoW lEgAl iN mIcHiGaN…” blah blah blah…

The tone-deafness is absolutely *staggering*.  Only the NHL…

Posted by Primis on 01/27/21 at 01:49 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Ken Daniels on The Word On Woodward today said the name change will take place once MLB starts.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/27/21 at 01:53 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/27/21 at 01:53 PM ET

Did he say whether he and Mickey be presenting games from the Dank Buds Press Box, HIGH above the ice at the LCA.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/27/21 at 01:59 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Daniels did talk about how different it is calling the games this season. Scroll to the 1:26:40 mark of the show today.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/27/21 at 02:08 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Sinclair is also closing FOX Sports Carolinas and FOX Sports Tennessee (or Bally Sport Carolinas/Tennesee) and merging them into Bally Sport South/Southeast. This impacts Predators and Hurricanes games on where they’ll be found

That really does stink for fans in those areas.  It’s bad enough when the Wings/Pistons have gave coinciding games and one gets knocked to FSD+.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/27/21 at 02:53 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

This reminds me of Biffs World from Back to the Future 2:

You all should watch. Sadly Prophetic!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/27/21 at 06:41 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Sports betting is apparently the Borg. It assimilates everything. This morning I got a notice from The Athletic that they were associating with a sports book, and is starting a column to advise subscribers on
their betting strategies.

I am not really interested in starting a discussion about the topic, but I see a conflict of interest in this situation.

They are providing strategies for gambling, and will earn money from a cut of the profits from the losers.

I unsubscribed on the spot. Sad, I thought that The Athletic was the best thing to happen to sports in a long, long time.

Posted by dougie on 01/28/21 at 10:25 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

their betting strategies.

Posted by dougie on 01/28/21 at 10:25 AM ET

I love the Borg reference! Spot on. And good for you for dropping The Athletic!

If this world is not weird enough gambling will take it to another level. My grandpa who died last march at 102 told us kids Greed will destroy our country and world. I hope eventually he will be wrong.

Be aware and well all! Much hockey love!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/28/21 at 01:23 PM ET