Abel to Yzerman

lines at the skate:

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Glendening-Athanasiou-Hirose
Filppula-Ehn-Erne
Helm-de la Rose-Abdelkader
Kuffner (extra)
Athanasiou skating like he’s ready to play. Eligible to come off IR any time.

defense pairs at skate:

DeKeyser-Hronek
Nemeth-Green
Biega-Kaski
Looks like Bowey still the extra, but not for sure.
If so, Biega (No. 3) and Kaski will be making their Wings debut tonight.

Svechnikov also skating but might be an extra. Didn’t see him skating on a line.

Correction: Cholowski with Bowey.

added 10:55am, Khan who also noted Howard in the starter's net.

power play units:
1.  Bertuzzi (net front), Larkin (slot), Hirose-Mantha (half walls), Cholowski (point).
2. Erne (net front), Filppula (slot), Hronek-Athanasiou (half walls), Green (point).

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Khan…

Athanasiou said he thinks he’s playing tonight.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/08/19 at 11:05 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Khan again…

Bowey said he’s in tonight, with Cholowski.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/08/19 at 11:09 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Athanasiou said he thinks he’s playing tonight.

So, Svech gets sent back down, then?

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 10/08/19 at 11:13 AM ET

So, Svech gets sent back down, then?

That’d be unfortunate. I’d rather have him on roster than Ehn/dlR/Erne.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/08/19 at 11:20 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Khan…

Blashill said everyone who skated today is available tonight. Sounds like the four recalled last night (Svechnikov, Kuffner, Kaski, Biega) aren’t playing. One must be sent back to @griffinshockey because Athanasiou is playing tonight.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/08/19 at 11:52 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

This is so funny.

All those kids called up:

dont rest on your laurels!

!

...and they are all sitting. Lol.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/08/19 at 12:38 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

I’d rather have him on roster than Ehn/dlR/Erne.

Agreed, especially DLR. To me, if you’re not playing on either the PP or PK, you better bring something to the table at 5 on 5. Be it speed, physicality, the ability to chip in or set up the odd goal…something. It’s the same gripe I had with Sheahan.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 10/08/19 at 12:39 PM ET

Would have been nice to see Svech get a chance here.  I’m really pulling for him.  Would be great to see him develop some chemistry with the other young guns and actually turn our second line into a scoring threat too.

Someone has to score some goals here besides Mo and the top line.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 10/08/19 at 01:14 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 10/08/19 at 12:39 PM ET

de la Rose last year brought some good stuff at the faceoff dot.  This year he’s only 33.3% so far.  I don’t know if they’re having faith in him still for that or what.  He was a nice add when Larkin was still trying to get his Faceoff % up and so Glendening was the only dependable faceoff guy, but now I think he’s losing his place.  I like him, but unless they’re going to jettison some of the other deadweight at forward I’m not sure there’s much room for him anymore.

Someone has to score some goals here besides Mo and the top line.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 10/08/19 at 01:14 PM ET

To me it’d make more sense to sit de la Rose though, put Glendening to C the 4th, and then put Svechnikov on the 2nd w/ Hirose and AA (If AA is in fact playing, I’m still not convinced entirely).

Posted by Primis on 10/08/19 at 01:36 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I really like what I saw from Kuffner in the preseason. He seemed to make all the right passes and wasn’t the wide eyed kid that we saw last year. He looked better than Svech from what I saw. Svech does play a bit more physical however.

They need to get Glendenning off the top lines and back on the 4th line. He scored a goal but it wasn’t a corner shot it went off the goalies chin and in. It was a shot right at the goalies chest that missed a little high.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 10/08/19 at 01:56 PM ET

Seconded.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/08/19 at 01:57 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

If you stick Svech on a line with Hirose and AA, who plays defense, because I’m not counting on 2 rookies to do that.    Do you want AA to overthink his defensive responsibilities, or give him a player he can play with that will cover him to take chances? 2nd lines tend to play other teams 2nd lines unless your going to limit their ice looking for matchups, you have to have some balance.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 10/08/19 at 02:08 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

All I know is, these vets better watch out because Yzerman isnt playing around. If you get injured, he’s gonna call up a waiver exempt player to sit in the press box, maybe even play a game before you get healthy.

Then he’s gonna send them back!! Because Steve Yzerman has stones and nooooo loyalty!

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/08/19 at 06:02 PM ET