Abel to Yzerman

Talking Lines Today

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

So where, and with whom, will the new guys play?

Left wing – center – right wing

Tyler Bertuzzi – Dylan Larkin – Anthony Mantha

This line isn’t expected to be broken apart at this point, and why should it?...

Vladislav Namestnikov – Robby Fabbri – Filip Zadina

A caveat here is the possibility of simply flipping Fabbri and Namestnikov....

LLeft defense – right defense

Danny DeKeyser – Filip Hronek

This is assuming DeKeyser is healthy after missing the majority of last season to a herniated disc.

But the Wings are confident DeKeyser will be able to play, and if he is, it’ll give the Wings a formidable top defensive pairing....

Marc Staal – Troy Stecher

The two offseason additions should help stabilize the defense.

Both Staal and Stecher had good defensive metrics last season and form a competitive shutdown pairing.

a bit more (paid) on each of the above and other combos...

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Kulfan with this too…

An idea of how much deeper the Wings are is the fact it’s tough to see where Timashov fits in easily in any of the four lines. And there’s little doubt Timashov is a credible NHL forward.

Now, if Timashov stays in Europe next season, which he might, that’ll give the Wings the option to keep Evgeny Svechnikov, who is without options and could be exposed or lost to another team.

If Timashov is with the Wings, it’s difficult to find a roster spot for Svechnikov.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/19/20 at 04:26 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

I’ve seen Staal slotted everywhere from 2nd line D to #7 defenseman.  Rangers fans indicate he’s closer to a #7 than a #3.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 10/19/20 at 10:00 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/19/20 at 05:26 PM ET

How’s that “low risk” deal for Sam Gagner and Erne swallowing for ya’all this morning? Pushing out a 1st round draft pick to take chances on players hoping they rebound or we get one more year out of them for a few points in what will be another wasted year.

Yzerholland 2.0

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 10/20/20 at 08:18 AM ET

IMO Staal should be the seventh defenseman. Below average defensively and utterly useless offensively.

I doubt very much he’d be on the second pair as I think DeKeyser and Nemeth are both very obviously superior to him on the left hand side, although it’s possible DDK might not be at 100% after the injury he had. Staal might beat out Merrill for the third pair, even though I don’t think he should.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 10/20/20 at 08:44 AM ET

Yzerman indicated they were still pretty high on Svech. I expect they’ll find somewhere for him in the lineup. Hopefully he’ll earn a spot on the 3rd line. If not, he’ll probably have to play 4th line minutes. I think Timashov would be out before Svech. I don’t think they are ready to give up on Svech yet.

Keep in mind that there is nothing to keep them from dumping one of the more veteran players if need be. There won’t be a cap crunch.

Posted by evileye on 10/20/20 at 10:18 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Yzerholland 2.0

Posted by MurrayChadwick

Jeezus, Chadwick. Give it a rest.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/20/20 at 01:10 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Jeezus, Chadwick. Give it a rest.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/20/20 at 02:10 PM ET

I know I know, I will, just couldn’t be more disappointed he didn’t do more with the cap space but be Ken Holland and sign a bunch of fillers.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 10/20/20 at 01:19 PM ET

Do we know Timashov isn’t playing abroad for this season?
Is there any reason in particular he’s not signed yet?

I’ve got a soft spot for Svechnikov. Granted, we can hold onto first round
picks too long as sort of a credentials bias. But he’s never really gotten a chance.
Knee injuries can still take a long time and it’s got to be especially hard for a guy who isn’t established.

Erne was a guy I could take or leave. And maybe keeping him was a bit of familiarity bias from Tampa/a desire to see if there is more to be had from that 4th round pick. I guess the team could use a bigger body who hits people. And I don’t know if we need all three of Ryan, Namestnikov, and Gagne. Gagne wasn’t exactly a regular in Edmonton even with a less than stacked forward corps beyond the two superstars. But he does bring some creativity and another guy who can play center part time. Veterans could be scratched. I assume Bromé is in Sweden to stay and might be re-signed or come over once his season there ends. And it definitely sounds like Stevie sees a role in Detroit for Smith - just maybe not as much this season.

Seemed like a lot of this was driven by both uncertainty around covid- where are guys playing? And some spending most of the season abroad. As well as, a desire not to repeat having a roster with like five forwards stuck at zero goals at mid season.

Posted by lefty.30 on 10/20/20 at 03:58 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

The Wings just gave up on a first round pick named Perlini. If Svetch is thrown under the bus it will be too bad but thats part of the business.

The cap space wasn’t the issue with Abby.  I think it was roster spot and the NTC for the expansion draft that doomed Abby.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 10/20/20 at 06:47 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 10/20/20 at 02:19 PM ET

I think StevieY will adding fillers (low term/Low $$) as the prospects are ready for the NHL, example Seider will fit in and a Filler will go away.

I actually like what I think he is doing.  The fillers will be extinct if and when the prospects are ready for the NHL.  There are a few that are 2 or 3 or 4 yrs away, aside from Seider who is going to fill a big hole on the D soon (will see).

Seattle and future UFAs will change how many fillers are needed also.

Just my thoughts, pretty happy the way StevieY is building the future.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/21/20 at 11:21 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

The Wings just gave up on a first round pick named Perlini.
Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 10/20/20 at 07:47 PM ET

And it looks like 6-4 200lb 20 year old right handed Alec Regula will be an NHL Dman for the Hawks if not next season, the season following. We don’t need big bodied young righty dmen though so dealing from a surplus I guess.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/22/20 at 12:21 AM ET

I would venture to guess you were kicking and screaming when Holland was doing the same when we had less NHL read prospects, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt your feelings are not changing on strategy because the name on the GMs door is different.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 10/22/20 at 07:06 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar