Abel to Yzerman

Sergei Fedorov Back In The Wings Organization?

from Evan Jankens of 97.1,

The sub plot to Yzerman being hired is that there is a possibility that he could bring Sergei Fedorov back to work for the Red Wings. He and Sergei remain close plus these is a belief that Sergei is not completely satisfied in his current hockey position in Russia and could be very interested in coming back.

Fedorov's current job status is in question, but a source familiar with Segrei's situation believes he’s not completely satisfied with his current employment situation.

Could bringing back Fedorov to the Red Wings pave the way to have his number 91 raised to the rafters?

a bit more

thanks to a KK member for the pointer

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

dougie's avatar

Ok, I feel like someone is just messing with my head.  wink I know nobody in the world watches Game of Thrones but me, but this would be like the final season having none of the major characters die in a gruesome manner, and a happy ending for all involved. Therefore, it cannot happen.

Posted by dougie on 04/23/19 at 12:14 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Paul - saw this video posted this morning on Winging it in Motown - another interesting bit of news (not the playoff format bit)...

Hope you’re on the mend!

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 04/23/19 at 12:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks HD, still tired but feeling better.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/23/19 at 12:25 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Dumb idea, this is Stevie’s show now, next….

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/23/19 at 12:47 PM ET

Temo's avatar

Dumb idea, this is Stevie’s show now, next….

Why? Not that I disagree I’m just curious about your opinion.

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 04/23/19 at 12:57 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

I think Stevie being GM has totally paved the way for 91 to head to the rafters. As far as bringing Sergei in to the organ-Y-zation, I don’t know how good an executive he is, so I can’t comment on that, as cool as it would be purely on a visceral level.

Posted by Steeb on 04/23/19 at 01:06 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

A lot of years have passed and Sergei was a great player.  If Stevie Y thinks it is a good idea, fine with me. They are good friends,right?

Bury the hatchets!

Yes, I am a 60 yr fan of ONLY the Red Wings.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 04/23/19 at 01:43 PM ET

Dumb idea, this is Stevie’s show now, next….
Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 04/23/19 at 12:47 PM ET

My gut tells me the same thing. I could see him wanting Verbeek or Shanny but Federov…...I feel these two would be too competitive with each other.

Unless…..Federov brings Anna Kournikova with him…..

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 04/23/19 at 02:12 PM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

Id like to see #91 hanging from the rafters one day… but I just don’t see how he’d fit into the organization

Posted by SauceBoss on 04/23/19 at 02:49 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

If hes not good enough to lock down fulltime employment in the KHL, it makes me question his ability to manage at the NHL level.

Maybe as a scout? They’ll let anybody do that, apparently.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 04/23/19 at 02:53 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 04/23/19 at 12:57 PM ET

What would he bring to the table that some other professional out there could not provide, but with less media circus?  At best scout in Russia?  Would he want that considering he’s a GM of a team over there? Do we really need the same media jackholes dusting off their drama stories about who was really second fiddle?

Jersey up there, I’m all for that

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/23/19 at 04:01 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I just don’t see the reason.  My guess is this is just someone’s thought that, hey, this could happen.  And sure, it could.  But more than likely it will not.

Next story line: “Nick Lidstrom could return to Detroit as Assistant General Manager”

Posted by TreKronor on 04/23/19 at 05:20 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Holland just bringing in the ole boys club. Sad.

wait…

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/23/19 at 06:33 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Holland just bringing in the ole boys club. Sad.

wait…

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/23/19 at 06:33 PM ET

Haha Tip of the cap to you sir well played

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/23/19 at 07:44 PM ET

Fedorov could be huge in recruiting Russian players to Detroit. But if given a choice, I would prefer Larionov.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/23/19 at 10:08 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Totally agree. I am pretty sure Sergei would make a good scout in Russia.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/24/19 at 01:50 AM ET

I find it pretty unlikely Larionov would give up his job as a player’s agent for such a role.

This whole speculation on Federov seems like media driven nonsense to me. Yzerman is going to need space to operate and rebuild the team in his image. He’s already going to have Holland giving his “advice”. I think adding Verbeek would be better than adding Federov to the front office. But adding Verbeek would seem to step on Draper’s toes.

Regardless, 91 needs to hang from the rafters and I’m hoping Yzerman can push that issue a bit.

Posted by evileye on 04/24/19 at 09:14 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Jeff Riger tweets that he heard something.  OK let’s not get carried away.
There was also the rumor that Y is interested in bring Datsyuk back…. as a player.  Nope.

Posted by RWBill on 04/24/19 at 09:51 AM ET

Paul's avatar

All I know is this… Yzerman doesn’t leak unless he wants something to leak.

Learned that from Scotty Bowman.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/24/19 at 09:52 AM ET