Abel to Yzerman

Quick Recap- Detroit/Columbus

One thing about this team after four games is they don't quit.

You can see the determination from this team, especially from the youngsters.

Tonight, they get rewarded with a 3-2 OT win.

Be patient folks, this team is starting to gel slowly but surely

Goals are below.

Team stats

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

So far I very much like what I see, And we are getting very solid goaltending, which is huge.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/19/21 at 10:12 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

WE WON AGAIN !!!!! TWO IN THE SAME WEEK !!!

euh…sorry..

Another great game..cohesion was interesting to watch, Bernier gave up 2 bad goals but still manage to play a good game…not great. The first one he lost his angle, the second was bad, he wasn’t bother by anyone he just blew it.

I still believe Stetcher is our best D on defense

To completely mix up the lines was probably not a good idea. We look messy early. Larks, MO and Bert belongs together. The rest our beloved coach can have fun with it bANDAND

Big Mo still needs a kick in the butt…didnt i hear he wants to be part of the rebuild ? He plays like he wants to be trade.

2-2 folks…and on to Chicago now..

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 01/20/21 at 12:19 AM ET

I’m not here to kvetch.  Maybe Columbus isn’t too good themselves, but we earned that win and could have won the night before.  It’s still early but this team could be a lot better than last year’s edition (it could be a lot better and still be below average, but that’s not the point—trajectory is the point).

Posted by captaineclectic on 01/20/21 at 07:00 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Extend Blashill? Too early?

Sorry I forgot we only talk about the impact of the coach when they lose. smile

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/20/21 at 08:25 AM ET

I don’t have, and don’t plan to get any TV programming this year so the only game I have seen was Monday and I thought, well I’ll be damned Blashill has his gang ready to go, better than Torts.  Good job.

However, if two wins is enough for you.., well it’s going to take more than that to wash away the last 5 years for me.

I also think that Torts may find his way to the open market sooner rather than later if he doesn’t get his crew on the same page soon.

Posted by Ventr on 01/20/21 at 08:50 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/20/21 at 08:25 AM ET

Or would you rather talk about YzerHolland’2.0’s retreads/garbage heap he brought in??? hmmm

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/20/21 at 09:54 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/20/21 at 09:54 AM ET

Funny, no matter how many times I say it in drawn out plain English, some of you don’t understand the criticism is not really directly at Yzerman.

Yzerholland2.0 is sarcasm to this fanbase, grab a mirror.  If we collected and froze the amount of tears that have flooded the forums over Holland signing washed up pluggers to take the roles of young kids, we could play both a game after we took a warmup on our practice rink.  Yet when Yzerman does it, well then its the captain, good shrewed moves, etc. big difference. We signed Holland Jr. Holland2.0.

I did and still do take issue that he resigned Adam Erne and Sam Gagner blocking young players from this roster, up front, we had kids who could play (neither of which have done anything productive to date, albeit four games), and that he started this season out with the most cap space in the league when many teams needed to shed.  My criticism on that last point changed when we saw what Ottawa was returned for helping out.

Never said Yzerman assembled a garbage roster, never, not once. I understood all the moves he made, just as I did when Holland made the same moves, the only difference is this year, there was a player out of options in Schevy, unlike the times Holland was accused of the same.

PS just to be clear, my post above on Blashill was also sarcasm.  I fully expect a new coach to be behind the bench in 2021, and support that regardless of the outcome, the same voice is long in the tooth.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/20/21 at 10:18 AM ET

I am so glad that Jimmy Howard is gone.  He was not good.

Posted by wonderwings on 01/20/21 at 11:03 AM ET

——-Larks, MO and Bert belongs together
——Maybe, but I have to say imo Mantha played his best game of the season yesterday. Playing on a different line might have been a coincidence, but still.
I also think Bert played a great game on a 4th line.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/20/21 at 11:16 AM ET

It’s funny that you think you can rewrite history, as if nobody hear read what you’ve written for the last five years.

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 01/20/21 at 12:12 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 01/20/21 at 12:12 PM ET

How have I been criticizing Yzerman for 5 years when he’s been GM for 2? Yeah, thanks try again.

I’ve been consistent.  I’ve always said Holland was an ok GM, he wasn’t the circus clown folks think he was, nor was he some great deal maker.

I was and remain worried when we hired Yzerman.  I knew he was a good GM, wasn’t worried about that, but more worried about the ticker tape parade the fanbase tossed on him like nothing but good times ahead from Day 1 out, the return to glory for the Winged Wheel.  Worried that at some point this fanbase takes a legend and chews him up and spits him out the way Detroit did with Dumars and Trammel.

I said from Day 1 he was going to continue with the rebuild that Holland started, the NHL remains the most difficult of any major team sport to rebuild, and that is true here, there’s no pixie dust, this will take time.  My hope has always been, that the difference in the two will be in the draft and we won’t know that for a while, but looks good to me so far.

Go ahead and look back, find some quotes that say otherwise.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/20/21 at 02:45 PM ET

Murray, you are much better when you stick to hockey instead of putting you above “the fan base”. When you talk about players, draft, coaching, your posts are great to read. When you are bickering about “hey hey hockeytown”, “yzerhollland”, you are really wasting your knowledge imo.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/20/21 at 03:01 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Murray,

I was just busting your balls bud.

Be well!