Abel to Yzerman

Bertuzzi In COVID protocol

From Ansar Khan of Mlive,

DETROIT – Detroit Red Wings forward Tyler Bertuzzi will be in COVID protocol for 10 days and miss a total of five games, coach Jeff Blashill said.

The Red Wings placed Bertuzzi in COVID protocol prior to Wednesday’s 4-3 shootout victory over the Seattle Kraken at Little Caesars Arena.

He will be eligible to return Dec. 14 against the New York Islanders

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

ilovehomers's avatar

Im assuming he is otherwise healthy and of course is young, so he should do just fine despite his vax status.

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/02/21 at 03:32 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Waah waaaah

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 12/02/21 at 03:37 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

This was bound to happen, there’s really two outcomes a) you get vaccinated which may or may not lead to getting Covid,  or b) you don’t get vaccinated and eventually you will get Covid.

You will get this in some form, nobody is going to “skate” in today’s world without picking this up, unless you really live in a bubble.

Bertuzzi will be just fine, he’s a 99.5%‘er, he’s not in the age/weight/co-morbidity class, and with the over-testing, he’s probably already received some form of treatment which is key.

What this should mean now, is that he’ll be immune for a period, at least the rest of the season, and better protected that those simply vaxed. I doubt the league believes in all the science to just let him play after he tests negative, and he’ll be subject to the same rigor as he was before because “science”

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 12/02/21 at 04:07 PM ET

MurrayChadwick - You nailed it exactly how it is.

Posted by Anderj8 on 12/02/21 at 04:15 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

The league has protocols based on science, and they won’t break them for one guy.

Posted by Steeb on 12/02/21 at 05:17 PM ET

Hopefully he doesn’t end up with myocarditis like Josh Archibald.

Posted by RyanVM on 12/02/21 at 05:30 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

The league is following protocols based on US political science.  Real science has proven there is natural and lasting immunity from Covid recovery, the problem is that a) its free and b) its not traceable/controllable, and that’s not science. That said, Bert belongs to the PA, and the PA agreed to the league’s rules for everyone, it is what it is.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 12/02/21 at 05:31 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

The only unvaccinated player in the entire league is now on COVID watch and will be lost to his team for 10 days and five games.  That’s not just selfishness, it’s unbridled stupidity.  What we have In Bertuzzi is your basic, garden variety cement head…a guy who is more than willing to jeopardize 20 or so other guys in deference to his own crackpot protocol.  Not that anyone would want him, but if it was up to me, I’d have him on the trading block so fast he’d think he’d been Kronwalled.

Posted by WingDingy on 12/02/21 at 07:32 PM ET

I am 59 yo, no physical problems beyond a worn out vertebrae. My wife is 58, no physical problems, just mental;)
We lived under the same roof with TWO nurses (ER and ICU) for the first 9 months of China virus, including before it had a name.
Their first masks came out of my toolbox because their hospital did not have enough for everyone. They used those masks for 6 weeks. They have worn their own scrubs to/ from work since the beginning.
We also had 2 grandchildren in the same house under the age of 2. We have another son with 2 kids under the age of 4. At no time did we shelter from the others.
To date we have not had a single positive test.
Forgive me for not cowering, and for standing with Bert and anyone else who isn’t buying what Fauci is selling.

Posted by pnwwing on 12/02/21 at 07:40 PM ET

780k dead Americans don’t really care if you’re buying it or not. Nevermind the doctors and nurses in the massively over-capacity ICUs all over Michigan at the moment.

Posted by RyanVM on 12/02/21 at 07:49 PM ET

Islanders just had 8 players on Covid and they are all vaccinated

Posted by VPalmer on 12/02/21 at 08:10 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

“Islanders just had 8 players on Covid and they are all vaccinated.”

Apples and oranges.

Posted by WingDingy on 12/02/21 at 08:13 PM ET

Apples and oranges.

How so? You are vilifying Bert for not getting vaccinated and blaming him for getting Covid because he is not vaccinated. I am not going to argue with you about the vaccines as pro vaccine people become too emotional and irrational in those discussions, but I am just giving you a perfect example with 8 Islanders vaccinated players to show you that the very reason you are vilifying Bert for has no ground. NBA players same thing, almost all vaccinated and still constant issues with players missing 10 days with covid.

Posted by VPalmer on 12/02/21 at 08:30 PM ET

Preach VP

Posted by ThatGuy on 12/02/21 at 08:48 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

If you don’t see the difference, you’re on your own.  I can’t help you.

Posted by WingDingy on 12/02/21 at 08:58 PM ET

Additional info observed since the beginning (in the Pacific Northwest only)-
90%ish of the patients that are admitted to the ICU (usually ventilated) have at least one of the following:
Overweight by >100 lbs
Diabetic
Preexisting lung/ breathing issues

Age is a factor, but only when combined with the above.

Posted by pnwwing on 12/02/21 at 09:19 PM ET

By the way DK also has covid and he is vaccinated, but whatever does not fit the narrative “does not exist” I am guessing.

Posted by VPalmer on 12/02/21 at 09:23 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

In the history of medicine, no vaccine has ever been 100% effective.

Posted by WingDingy on 12/02/21 at 10:35 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Last updated Nov 8th, so it is old. But:

You can see a bunch of players have missed a multitude of games, including David Rittich who missed more than 5 games.

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/02/21 at 10:50 PM ET

with the testing and protocols that Tyler had to follow without the “vaccine’, the actual problem is “vaccinated” thinking they are immune.

The FDA had to literally change the definition of “vaccine” for the rDNA treatment to meat the the threshold.

Posted by akwingsfan on 12/03/21 at 03:07 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Well, since we’re polarizing around this issue, let me toss my hat in the ring! Let’s just eliminate the hot button Covid/vaccine topic all together.

I am a firm believer that the good of the many outweighs the good of the few, or the individual, no matter the topic.

I would have traded Bert before the season started. You are either all in, or you are gone from my team.

Period. I apply the same principles to my small business. That is why “my” people don’t leave, and I have a 2 deep bench for every position in my business, should someone place himself above the culture of “team”

Posted by dougie on 12/03/21 at 09:37 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by dougie on 12/03/21 at 09:37 AM ET

With all your wise business acumen, you would’ve traded a quality asset this team invested in and will be a foundational block, whether its him or the assets we get for him via trade in the future, when that asset was at its lowest value?

For what is a one season issue, and something that despite your views, and views of others, some people do have beliefs otherwise.  Its not like Bert was like, hey I like blow, beating women, or skipping practice, so i’m just gonna do it.

Glad you are not our GM.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 12/03/21 at 09:52 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I stopped visiting and participating in one of my favorite detroit sports blogs on discord because regular posts and memes and images and gifs on vaxxing kept coming up, so I hope this is the last and only thread on A2Y that gets bent sideways on the issue.  It’s bound to come up with Bertuzzi being unvaxxed, so when it does I hope that’s where the “discussion” ends - you can see it quickly degenerates out of actual discussion -.

You can find a lot of posts on the internet to further your point of view, many not actual data.  For instance, the state of Florida has one of the least restrictive policies on wearing masks in the US, yet week after week they have the fewest incidence of covid per 100,000 population in the continental US, this according to the CDC web site. Usually FL is between 50 and 90 cases per 100,000.  This week Michigan is 2d highest at 477/100,000.  Also low every week the states of Texas, Alabama, with pretty much no mask requirements, and also below 100/100,000 again is California, with more restrictive mask requirements.  And Florida is about #18 in fully vaccinated per 100,000.

So what does CDC data ( “follow the science!” ) show?  There’s little or no relation between mask policies and active incidence of covid cases - at this point in the pandemic.

You can also see from hospital data that 95% of covid hospitalizations and ICU cases are unvaccinated people.  Yet people insist, and use your best Boomhauer voice here, “dang ol’ vaccine, tell ya’ what man, dang ol’ Fauci, I tell ya’ what, dang ol’ vaccine don’t work man.”

And I did state earlier in the season that Bertuzzi should take it for the team if for nothing else, but I’m confident there would be not shortage of teams willing to trade for him.

Posted by RWBill on 12/03/21 at 10:18 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Yes, I absolutely would have. That’s just me…... In my business, which is not hockey, I want my kind of players to run my system. I am a big fan of Darryl Sutter and his “school of thought”.  No need to be snide, Murray. I like your posts better when you state your point of view without all the snark.

Posted by dougie on 12/03/21 at 11:04 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by VPalmer

Waving off anyone who disagrees with you as “too emotional” is the most childish thing I’ve ever read on this subject. And that’s saying something. But since you’re “guessing” at what other people think, I shouldn’t be too surprised.

Posted by Steeb on 12/03/21 at 11:32 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Vaccinated people can not only get COVID, they can spread it to others. When you’re dealing with an unvaccinated person, the only one at real risk is that unvaccinated person. In the simplest of terms, you get vaccinated to protect yourself, not to protect others.

If you want to be upset with Bert because he put himself at greater risk by not getting vaccinated, so be it. But please don’t spread the falsehood that he put others at greater risk by refusing to “get the jab.”

After all, maybe Bert got COVID from DeKeyser. And I don’t hear anyone jumping all over DK for testing positive. He’s under the same restriction as Bert is. So let’s try using some common sense here, folks.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/03/21 at 11:41 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

With a vaccine, your viral load is a LOT lower if you contract covid than it is without one. You don’t get as sick, or for as long, and are not nearly as contagious.

That’s why a vaccine exists to protect other people around you, also.

Posted by Steeb on 12/03/21 at 11:51 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

That’s why a vaccine exists to protect other people around you, also.

Posted by Steeb on 12/03/21 at 11:51 AM ET

But if you believe in the value of getting vaccinated, you shouldn’t have any fear of the unvaccinated. As you say, even if you get it, you don’t get as sick, especially if you aren’t in the high-risk group.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/03/21 at 12:00 PM ET

@Steeb
Thank. Came here to say the same thing. I’d only add that getting vaccinated causes the body to create immunity.

@pnwWing as a fellow PNWer. I’ve been looking for that data and cannot find it for Seattle, King County nor WA. Could you please link you information so I can be better educated on our region? Thanks!

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 12/03/21 at 12:05 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/03/21 at 11:41 AM ET
Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/03/21 at 12:00 PM ET

This is 100% x2

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 12/03/21 at 12:15 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

I’m with Bert on this one, a person has got to do what they think is best for their self and family.  I’m over here in Ontario and I have come to believe we are going to live with this scourge for years.  If government wants everyone vacinated they should make it a law, no exceptions only medical grounds.  Now that is the only way to kill a pandemic, but if you want to make it optional then the two sides will continue to battle.  I do think that Bert should forfeit pay for not being available

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 12/03/21 at 12:15 PM ET

Posted by VPalmer on 12/03/21 at 12:20 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I do think that Bert should forfeit pay for not being available

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 12/03/21 at 12:15 PM ET

Because he’s unvaccinated, he does not get paid for the time he’s on COVID protocal. That’s five games or 6.1% of the season. He also doesn’t get paid for the eight games he can’t play in Canada. That’s an additional 9.8%. So, he loses 15.9% of his $4.75M salary. That’s a total of around $755,000.

Hell, I’d take a second round of jabs for him for just 10% of that.  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/03/21 at 12:23 PM ET

As you can imagine, I do not care about personal attacks from an incognito forumist, but it’s pretty clear to everybody that pro-choice people (I am talking about vaccines here) are absolutely calm about vaccinated people. Yes, I do think, taking a vaccine that loses half of it strength in 6 months and probably does not work against all future mutations of covid is unreasonable and borderline stupid, but I have absolutely nothing against the people who took a vaccine, I totally respect that choice. I do think we will all be mandated to get a booster every 6 months for quite some time and maybe after shot #10 some people will wake up. Data shows that in many most vaccinated states, there is the highest number of people getting covid.

In the meantime large % of vaccinated people are going crazy when they meet unvaccinated people. And I think the reason for that is that vaccinated people are sure they and only they follow science and unvaccinated people are a bunch of stubborn illiterate idiots. Reality could be much different actually. A lot of vaccinated people took vaccine because they were told/forced to do it while unvaccinated people actually did a lot of research on the subject and decided for themselves they are not comfortable with it while providing no additional risk to vaccinated people (because vaccinated people are protected). Some had covid and think their immunity is stronger than vaccine. Some think 1 year is not enough time to fully understand long term effects of the vaccine. Some possibly looked at data and decided not to take a drug that does not work in 6 months. Some saw thousands of people who died of vaccine and decided for themselves they have better chances to survive covid at its 99.99% recovery rate for healthy individuals. There could be more reasons and at least those reasons have to be accepted and respected in a democratic society imo.

Posted by VPalmer on 12/03/21 at 12:45 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios

First off, I’m not “afraid” of the unvaccinated. But what happens is, unvaccinated people get a higher viral load, and are MUCH more likely to a> spread it to others, including unvaccinated people, and, much more importantly and dangerously, b> become breeding grounds for variants that tend to be more virulent, more deadly, more contagious, and more vaccine resistant.

Posted by Steeb on 12/03/21 at 01:23 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by VPalmer

We’ve had this discussion before, and I explained the actual reality behind most of the claims you make here again. I won’t bother to lay it all out for you again, because you’ve already decided what you believe, and facts are not important in that belief.

If your problem with vaccines is that people were mean to you on the internet, then I suggest you look elsewhere.

Posted by Steeb on 12/03/21 at 01:26 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/03/21 at 12:00 PM ET

Forgot to add this bit, but if you missed it, check out the Josh Archibald and Alex Stalock case. Two young, healthy hockey players, who contracted covid, and it looks like it’s going to end both of their careers.

Posted by Steeb on 12/03/21 at 01:29 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Steeb on 12/03/21 at 01:29 PM ET

According to the article, the danger of getting myocarditis is 10,000 times greater from the virus than from the vaccine itself. So get the vaccine if that’s an important factor for you.

But what really stands out to me in that article is that both Archibald and Stalock may have gotten myocarditis because they returned to strenuous workouts too soon after having gotten COVID.

As the article stated: “Too much effort and too much training after COVID could very well endanger the body of an athlete.” That has nothing to do with being vaccinated or not vaccinated. It’s a result of what an athlete does after they’ve had COVID.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/03/21 at 02:02 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios

Here’s what I’m responding to, which you wrote, “I haven’t heard of any hockey player getting COVID and then ending up hospitalized. So folks demonizing Bert for following his personal beliefs makes no sense to me.”

These are two hockey players who got covid and were hospitalized, and it looks likely to end their careers. They went to strenuous workouts too soon after getting covid, ergo the combination caused them to get myocarditis. Ergo, had they not contracted covid, or if they had been vaccinated when they got it, it’s highly unlikely that they would have contracted myocarditis. They’re likely to have heart problems for the rest of their lives, whether or not they play in the NHL again. And the Oilers don’t have to pay them, at all, bkz they got sick and weren’t vaccinated.

And, again, unvaccinated people are breeding grounds for new variants, are much more likely to contract it, spread it, be hospitalized by it, and have serious and lifelong complications from it. And Bert, AFTER signing his new contract, decided—as a personal (not medical, not even religious) choice—that he was going to sit out 10% of the games this year, and now add on whatever games he misses due to league mandated protocols. Do you think Stevie would have signed him to that deal, if Bert had announced his decision to sit out games based on nothing but a “personal choice”? I have my doubts.

Posted by Steeb on 12/03/21 at 03:44 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Steeb on 12/03/21 at 03:44 PM ET

So two out of about a thousand players (or two-tenths of one percent) who showed up at training camp this year got COVID and then ended up with myocarditis. And if, as you claim, they probably wouldn’t have had that result if they were vaccinated, they took a risk and now they’re paying a price. It was their decision.

At least for the time being, people still have the right to make decisions like this.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/03/21 at 03:59 PM ET