Abel to Yzerman

A2Y Evening Line- Cal Clutterbuck

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Oh man !! Is that a great reply or what ?? “They can come down and I’ll two -hand them above the knee. We’ll see how quickly they pop back up” any want to try lol

Posted by Sign guy on 02/12/18 at 06:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I think some proclamations of Red Wings fans that he was diving should take a full swing to the leg first, regardless if he is a known douchebag.

Posted by RWBill on 02/12/18 at 07:00 PM ET

I’m sure there was some diving, or embellishment. Frankly he could never say if there was or he’d be a target of the refs, and linesman. This is the only answer he can publicly give on the record.

I personally think he’s a liar, and I choose to believe the former players who all said there was a degree of embellishment. Hopefully next time we play the Islanders someone on our team delivers a nice clean check that knocked him into next week.

Posted by RussianRocket10 on 02/12/18 at 07:22 PM ET

None of it would have mattered if the wings didn’t allow 4 goals in the last 6 minutes.  That was more embarrassing than his dive.

Posted by nolan33 on 02/12/18 at 07:27 PM ET

That comment came from the department of redundancy department.

Posted by nolan33 on 02/12/18 at 07:36 PM ET

I don’t doubt that Clutterbuck getting hit hurt to some degree.  I do seriously doubt it hurt to the degree of his reaction.  While I haven’t been hit by a hockey stick in the knee, I did take a baseball directly in the kneecap on the fly that was thrown at me from around 100 feet away while I wasn’t paying attention.  It did knock me to the ground initially, but I was back up limping within a few seconds and not rolling around like a baby the way Clutterbuck did.

A good question to ask Clutterbuck about the whole thing would be if he thought Bertuzzi deserved 5 minutes while he himself got nothing considering he was the instigator.  I’d love to see him try to lie or rationalize an answer to that.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 02/12/18 at 07:43 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

In the video I saw, Bert hit him with the flat part of the blade (not the edge of it) and it sure looked like he caught him square on the knee pad.

But what’s he going to say, “Well, he hit me with the flat of the blade and I felt a little tingling so I immediately fell down to draw a penalty”?  rolleyes

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/12/18 at 07:49 PM ET

Paul's avatar

In other news, Bob McKenzie just said on TSN the most likely player to end up with the Leafs at the trade deadline is Mike Green.  No mention of a return.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/18 at 07:56 PM ET

I looked at the video and saw the stick hit right at the bottom of the hockey pants and slightly above the knee part of the shin pads. There still may have been some padding there, I don’t know. Most players would have just limped to the bench. Clutterbuck fell like he was hit by lightning. Did Clutterbuck miss the rest of the game? Did he go the dressing room? Did he miss a shift? Someone once said it is a man’s league and Bert was just being a man. Next time he will be more careful and pick his chances.

Posted by Mackster from Eastern Canada on 02/12/18 at 08:03 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

It was a dive. mad

Posted by bigfrog on 02/12/18 at 11:13 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Sure it might take a min to get back up. I’m more impressed with the way he went down though. I imagine it was similar to Tonya harding.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/13/18 at 09:33 AM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/18 at 07:56 PM ET

If that’s the case, I will happily take Timothy Liljegren from them.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 02/13/18 at 12:05 PM ET

kowpuck19's avatar

A little late to the party, but, that was a total dive. There’s a difference between getting slashed with the heel of the stick and getting slashed with the flat of the stick. Watch the replay. Not only did Bert not swing that hard, but he had the stick flattened out. Clutterdive may have felt it a little, but it didn’t hurt him.

Posted by kowpuck19 on 02/13/18 at 01:36 PM ET