Abel to Yzerman

A Change For Dylan Larkin

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

The Meal's avatar

Looking forward to the same announcement from Mo.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 05/26/22 at 12:55 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Now let’s keep in mind I’m an idiot here…

But what’s the deal with KO management?

Not a good rep?

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 05/26/22 at 02:14 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Bob Duff of Detroit Hockey Now,

Detroit Red Wings captain Dylan Larkin is going to be cashing in this summer. And he will be doing so under new representation.

News leaked late Wednesday night that Larkin is switching agents. He’s dropping KO Sports, Inc. the agency headed by Kurt Overhardt. Larkin is moving to Pat Brisson and the Creative Arts Agency.

Overhardt’s company was the one handling representation for Larkin in every contract negotation since first turning pro and signing with the Red Wings in 2015. The choice to switch agencies clrearly is catching Overhardt by surprise.

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/26/22 at 02:30 PM ET

Oh oh, to me this is not a good sign. Be ready to hear about a 10 million a year contract negotiation. I know most don’t want to hear it but maybe a trade is in order. Larkin isn’t even a first line centre on a lot of teams. I will await all hateful comments directed this way lol.

Posted by Stump23 on 05/26/22 at 02:59 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Ouch! Larkin’s next contract won’t be considered team friendly to the Wings (like his last one) with the new rep’s recent negotiations.

Lets all just hope Larkin wasn’t trying to send a signal that he wants/is willing to leave….and the old agent wasn’t hearing that.

Between that news and the article in the Athletic on: “How far are those teams from championship caliber?” showing Detroit only has two pieces that are either “in line with the average Cup winner or Passable, below average relative to average Cup winner but within range.”

Those pieces: elite d-man (Seider) and “non-elite” top line winger (which wasn’t Raymond—it was Vrana).

Note: They had ‘lil Bert in the “elite winger” slot and he was passable this year, but projects under that next year (but changing slot from “elite” to “top line” winger would cause him to go to exceeds expectations/right in line with category instead).

And DeKeyser (top pair d-man) and Staal (even in 2nd pair d-man) roles got crushed so bad by the metric they ended up negative—-as did Zadina (in top 6 role) plus Ned as a top goalie.

....hope the Wings don’t add to the days bad news with a Mike Babcock announcement or something.

Posted by d ca on 05/26/22 at 03:11 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Posted by Stump23 on 05/26/22 at 02:59 PM ET

I don’t know about that 10M number…but I do think having to explore all possibilities (including both hockey and deadline rental trades) IF Larkin wants 1st line “elite” centre money as he’s approaching his walk year as an UFA next July. You can’t let him walk for nothing (like Tavares) if he’s not going to re-sign before the trade deadline: you have to move him by then at least.

The article I mentioned in the comment above shows him just below “top line centre projections” for next year (his 2.0 vs 2.2 average) but far below “elite centre” projections 2.0 vs 3.6 required) for the average Cup winning team....and I totally agree Larkin would be a 2nd line centre on a strong Cup contending team.

Posted by d ca on 05/26/22 at 03:23 PM ET

I think it’s a tad presumptuous to assume that changing his agent is tied to outrageous contract demands. It could just as easily be the opposite where the agent want the bigger number since his commission will be bigger. I think I’ll wait to see it play out.

I fully expect the Wings will announce an agreement with Larkin shortly after an extension is possible. But I do agree that if they cannot reach an agreement, all options must be explored. Yzerman clearly isn’t as sentimental as Holland but he also knows how valuable Larkin is to the team.

Posted by evileye on 05/26/22 at 03:59 PM ET

d ca's avatar

FYI some good and some bad…..

The good: Brian Lashoff re-signed with Grand Rapids.

He’s played 580 games there (not including the Calder Cup playoffs) and could break Travis Richards’ team record of 655 games by season’s end if he plays in every single game next year.

Richards played for the Griffins during the IHL years (with both no NHL club affiliation and during the Ottawa Senators affiliation years) plus the AHL years (with the Wings as the affiliate)—so he’s not in the AHL’s record book for his numbers. He was there during the days when I got a season’s worth of free tickets via an Applebee’s bartender in GH (when they had that promo)—which caused my name to appear so often in their raffle drawings email/phone list that the club’s ticket office called me up and offered me season ticket packages the next year….saying it would save me money over the 40 some games I attended the previous year. Last I heard Richards was partial owner of an ice rink and private coach near Holland and would play on the beer leagues as a sub with some of my buddies.

But as for Lashoff: he’s got the 4th most games for one team in the AHL ever. This means there is some serious experience for prospects like Edvinsson (though hopefully not), McIsaac (again hopefully not), Sebrango, Johansson, or possibly Eemil Viro to learn from (and less of a need for a guy in that roll in Detroit—-looking at you Staal).

The bad: Yzerman has stated his preference to bring up a d-man with experience rather than give the young kids a look if an injury or illness occurs. Lashoff’s got 136 games of NHL experience—-even if he wasn’t utilized the past two years in that role.

Posted by d ca on 05/26/22 at 04:46 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Surprised this warranted a public statement but whatever.

Let’s be real. He signed with this group when he was a kid. Maybe he’s grown up a bit and has different perspectives and priorities.I know I sure have changed since I was 17. This statement just seems petty.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/26/22 at 06:42 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

This is what I was referring to.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 05/26/22 at 08:34 PM ET