Abel to Yzerman

“1957 and Counting…”

That's the tail end of a text exchange between our Emperor and me, just minutes ago. As he's want to do on game days, Paul will send me a text gently reminding me that the Wings play tonight. I'll typically respond with, "with your permission, Emperor, I'd like to host a live blog, keeping in mind the restrictions you've placed on me not to pick on Ken Holland, the Diggers, George or Darrel  Evans' base running blunder in the '87 ALCS."

Tonight he granted that permission and felt the need to needle my sensitive transplanted underbelly, my soft spot for all Detroit sports teams. "They'll be on just as the Lions are about to lose."

I responded mildly, to which he quoted the title of this specific Live Blog.

The Lions. Oh, the Lions.  Oh, how they need this game tonight and oh how horrifically they'll lose it.  It's well underway now (at 9pm when this will post) and I'm certain we'll be ahead, but only to see it slip disgustingly away.

Thankfully, we still have the model of Detroit muscle and consistency.

Winners of one in a row and a mere two points out of the wild card on 6 November.

While the Wings were embarking on yet another prolific streak, NHL GMs were wheeling and creatively dealing. Three teams. Three GMs. Six players. Three draft picks. A six year extension for Turris in Nashville. Duchene leaving the hockey hotbed of Denver for Ottawa. GMs calling one another, exchanging text messages and emojis, patting tummies and sipping Frescas. Trading.  Dealing.

I guess that's allowed, eh Kenny?

I mean, it's not allowed in Detroit. But, hell, Joe Sakic can do it, eh?

Anyway, the Wings are westward and the Lions are the Lions, just as Kenny Holland is the same old Tick Tock.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.

LGRW and FKHASAP.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Alan's avatar

LGRW!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 11/06/17 at 09:05 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

SOL ... same ‘ol Lions.  If there is a way to lose they’ll find it.
I will not be surprised nor will I be disappointed.
The last time the Lions disappointed me was 1970 ... Dallas ... the playoffs ... the now infamous “Mud Bowl”.  I quickly became a Vikings fan because of the Purple People Eaters.

Howie in net tonite ??
Say it ain’t so !!
Pull a goalie after a shutout ??
I don’t care if it is a back-to-back game .... Mrazek is 24 and finally in sync.
Any smart coach will tell you to ride the hot horse ‘til he drops.
I sure hope Blash can hold his breath for 2 hrs. +

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 11/06/17 at 09:14 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I thought the 1957 in the blog title was a reference to the last time the Lions won a game in Green Bay…...

Posted by Down River Dan on 11/06/17 at 09:29 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

1957 ... the last year the Lions won a championship ... and later that year the Fords bought the team and Frk’d them up and haven’t won dick since.

Some Lane guy was quarterback.

Was it Ray Lane ?  No ... he did sports at Ch. 2 .. I went to H.S. with his daughter.
Was it Denny Laine ?  No ... he was in Wings and the Moody Blues

Ahh .. Bobby Layne ... probably the best QB we’ve ever had.
People that think Stafford is better need to quit drinking the blue Kool-Aid

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 11/06/17 at 09:55 PM ET

calquake's avatar

It’s a great night for a hockey game.  L.G.R.W.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/06/17 at 10:00 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Hola bitches. Sorry I missed yesterday’s game. Sounds like the best game of the year by our team.
Why no Razor? Ya always ride the hot goaler. LGRW

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 11/06/17 at 10:11 PM ET

LGRW

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/06/17 at 10:11 PM ET

calquake's avatar

HELMER!!!!

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/06/17 at 10:16 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Helmer 1-0. grin

Posted by bigfrog on 11/06/17 at 10:16 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Wow,Helmer.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 11/06/17 at 10:17 PM ET

What’s with this first period scoring nonsense?

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/06/17 at 10:17 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Canuck broadcaster says we are 6-1 when we score first. Keep er goin.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 11/06/17 at 10:19 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Lurking tonight. Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 11/06/17 at 10:52 PM ET

calquake's avatar

With 14 comments it’s looking like a Lurker Live Blog.  cheese

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/06/17 at 10:54 PM ET

Got a bit pass happy towards the end of the period.  Gotta put pucks on net.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/06/17 at 10:59 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

It’s 11:00 pm and I’m still awake. Today’s goal has been accomplished. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 11/06/17 at 11:01 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

They are winning battles along the boards and clogging up the neutral zone much better. LGRW

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 11/06/17 at 11:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Nice kill.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/06/17 at 11:09 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

It looks like half the overhead lights are working.
Kilt it.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 11/06/17 at 11:09 PM ET

kilt it

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/06/17 at 11:09 PM ET

I don’t think trying to make a play in the offensive zone involving Ericsson is a that good of an idea.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/06/17 at 11:18 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Jimmah!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 11/06/17 at 11:19 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Vanek gave us a break on a dumb play by Kronner.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 11/06/17 at 11:22 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Mantha!!!!

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/06/17 at 11:37 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Mantha!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 11/06/17 at 11:38 PM ET

Needed that….Z’s goal?  off his butt.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/06/17 at 11:38 PM ET

Needed that….Z’s goal?  off his butt.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/06/17 at 11:38 PM ET

No, guess that hit a Vancouver player, not Z

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/06/17 at 11:39 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

We’re due to lose one of these unfortunately.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 11/06/17 at 11:39 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Ruh roh.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/06/17 at 11:39 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Hmmmmmmm. Frk?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 11/06/17 at 11:39 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

hey, gng

just saw our Lions wrap-up a win in Green Bay ... in Green Bay?

yup

and our Wings go up 2-zip ... 2-zip?

yup

L.G.Detroit

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/06/17 at 11:40 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Frk!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 11/06/17 at 11:40 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Stand corrected.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 11/06/17 at 11:41 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

2-0 after 2 ...

the dreaded 2 goal lead?

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/06/17 at 11:52 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

2-0 Frk. I will take it. smirk

Posted by bigfrog on 11/06/17 at 11:52 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Someone needs to nut up and knock some teeth in.

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/06/17 at 11:53 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Time for “Skate to Throat”.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/07/17 at 12:17 AM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Crap 2-1. One of the Sedin Sisters. mad

Posted by bigfrog on 11/07/17 at 12:20 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

‘LH’H'OB

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/07/17 at 12:20 AM ET

ugh