Abel to Yzerman

Uncle Mike Asked TPH To Honcho Hike To 12

Ryan Lambert's daddy pointed search engine readers to this a little while ago...

“Yes, he called yesterday and asked if I was keen to come over and play. But I said I'm pretty happy with life and my decision from last spring,” says "Lidas" to Sportbladet.

… “We talked yesterday and the question was whether I was eager to play again. He wondered if his wife was tired of being at home all the time. But she has not tired of me, not yet anyway, haha,” [he said]

"He" is Mike Babcock, who is our Uncle but in a different way than Greg Being Ryan's daddy.  Anyway, Babcock asked Lidstrom for one more run (I don't say "kick at the can"...sorry) and TPH was apparently pretty quick to say no.  PD's story stems from a Sportsbladet piece and Wysh found the translation here.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

MsRedWinger's avatar

Not surprised.  Sad, but not surprised.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/09/13 at 02:41 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

No way would Nick have hung’em up if he’d have had any inclination to play another 1/2 season or full season. He’s no Willa errr Mike Modano.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/09/13 at 03:17 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Well, this makes me feel that Babs and Co are pretty secure and comfortable with our D this year (bites fingernails; teeth chatter)

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/09/13 at 03:38 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/09/13 at 02:38 PM ET

exactly the same what I was thinking, desperation written all over…

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 01/09/13 at 03:46 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

Goodbye 20 some years of making the playoffs. At least we will get a decent draft pick for the first time in 20 some years.

Posted by joedaiceman on 01/09/13 at 03:57 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I think we all knew Uncle Mike wanted more and has wanted more on the D for a few years…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/09/13 at 04:07 PM ET

Posted by joedaiceman on 01/09/13 at 02:57 PM ET

Wow, so the only reason for the Wings making the playoffs was Lidstrom?

Posted by Garth on 01/09/13 at 04:12 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Wow, so the only reason for the Wings making the playoffs was Lidstrom?

No, but you don’t lose Rafalski, Stuart and Lidstrom in a two year time span and expect to make the playoffs.  That’s 3 out of your 4 top defensemen.  Unless someone on D steps up Detroit is probably a sixth to eighth seed in the West at best.  However the short season may be a factor if the Wings get off to a good start.

Posted by calquake on 01/09/13 at 04:16 PM ET

gusoline's avatar

Can someone with more skill at researching contracts (or simply more motivated) than me look up to see if any teams with an excess of defense need to dump salary under the new contract?

Posted by gusoline on 01/09/13 at 04:37 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Wow, I’m worried too, but I’m not that close to throwing in the towel.  I think the deserve a chance to prove they can handle it, after all, they did learn all they could from the best.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/09/13 at 04:37 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/09/13 at 03:12 PM ET

Looking at his TOI, PPG and +/- and comparing it to any other player in the NHL during the last 20 years, the argument that he was the most important reason the wings made the playoffs for 20 years isn’t far-fetched.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 01/09/13 at 05:14 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I look at it as at least they know they are up shit creek without a paddle, and are at least trying to do something about it.  Instead of putting on the rosy glasses and telling everyone how confident they are with their D going forward.

That second pairing of Smith and Quincey is going to be brutal, and not in a good way.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/09/13 at 05:58 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/09/13 at 03:12 PM ET

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 01/09/13 at 04:14 PM ET

That’s true Joe, but he was responding to a flaming and irrational suicidal post.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/09/13 at 07:39 PM ET

wedge56's avatar

gusoline, this year’s cap is 70.2 million which means every team in the league is currently under the cap.  Next off season we will see a lot of movement when the cap contracts to 64 million I think.

Posted by wedge56 on 01/09/13 at 09:56 PM ET

OK, so you agree with me that the loss of Lidstrom doesn’t automatically ensure that the Wings make the playoffs.

So why are you arguing with me?

Posted by Garth on 01/09/13 at 11:16 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Posted by gusoline on 01/09/13 at 03:37 PM ET

Visnovsky was brought into NYI to meet the old cap floor.  Character guy I guess.  Gotta be worth a gamble for a 7th rounder in 2017.

On a serious note, Phoenix is still sitting 6 mil above the floor.  Yandle is a steal at 5.25 for 5 yrs.
This is one hell of a stale debate, but seriously, there must be a way.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/10/13 at 01:28 AM ET

calquake's avatar

So why are you arguing with me?

Posted by Garth on 01/09/13 at 10:16 PM ET

Did not mean to be argumentative Garth.  Rather, I was pointing out that missing the playoffs this year is a real possibility.  Particularly if injuries to Pav, Z or Kronwall were to occur.  And as a normal (irrational) Wings fan, I understand Joe’s panic.

Posted by calquake on 01/10/13 at 03:54 PM ET