Abel to Yzerman

Special Teams Need Work

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

As the Detroit Red Wings try to end a losing skid, one area that’s under scrutiny is their power play.

It’s inefficiency has sunk to 9.5% after going 0-for-6 on the Western Canada trip, which included a 97-second two-man advantage. That came against the Vancouver Canucks, whom the Wings host Tuesday at Little Caesars Arena (7:30 p.m., Fox Sports Detroit).

The Wings haven’t had a ton of power plays – 21 – but they have only converted on two of those. And both goals belong to Anthony Mantha. Only two other players have power play points: defenseman Dennis Cholowski and forward Taro Hirose, each of whom has two assists.

Special teams took up a good chunk of Monday’s practice.

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

from Dana Wakiji and Art Regner o the Wings website,

Ericsson has not played in the first eight games of the season after dealing with more than the one issue that happened during the skate test after training camp.

“I felt it right away and then I didn’t think too much about it.” Ericsson said. “I could finish the test and all that. Then we waited like 30-40 minutes until practice and then in practice it kept getting worse and worse.”

Ericsson has had hip trouble for years and this is all connected to that.

“I think it was after five days it started to feel pretty good off the ice and then on the ice it just felt so much worse right away,” Ericsson said. “My back started seizing up, something in the hip that’s going on. My back started acting up because the hip bone was pulling my back. I can’t really explain everything but there was a lot going on there.”

However, Ericsson did make the western Canada trip and was able to practice with the team.

“I feel close right now,” Ericsson said. “It’s been feeling way better each day I’ve been skating. On the road I was skating every day. I started to feel way better on the ice. Obviously, it’s tough to practice for the games, it’s not the same thing, whatever you’re doing. Practicing is not the same, so it’s going to be a big adjustment.”

more plus more injury updates and goals needed…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/21/19 at 02:54 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Like I said the other day, stop the dump and Chase on the zone entries unless is absolutely necessary.  Carry the damn Puck in and try and set up the power play from that point.
Boy this team likes to work harder than it needs to.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 10/21/19 at 04:50 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Carry the damn Puck in and try and set up the power play from that point.
Boy this team likes to work harder than it needs to.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 10/21/19 at 05:50 PM ET

Just a thought, if you can see this on your TV, don’t you think other team’s coaches can as well, and maybe the reason we have to dump and chase, is the other team playing a 4 and 1 in the neutral zone, with the 1 giving up the rush, to play the back pass?  And if Detroit is unable to establish the zone via the dump and chase, even when the team stacks the line, why would the other team alter and provide the lanes to do so?

Its like football, if a team can not run with a nickel package on the field, why would the defense stack the box?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 10/22/19 at 06:59 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

That’s the point Murray, I haven’t seen the blue line being stacked that often and the Wings are still dumping and chasing unnecessarily IMHO. Especially since their puck retrieval has not been very good.

And yes I am sure other coaches see the same thing I have seen and that is why they are not stacking the line but letting their players drop deep in their own zone for an easy puck retrieval. And Blash sees it too. We must watch the same TV station:
“Our break-ins haven’t been as good’  “Right now, we’ve slowed it down too much and as a result we’ve almost trapped ourselves a few times and then unforced turnovers happen and then you’re back chasing it again. “

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 10/22/19 at 07:49 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 10/22/19 at 08:49 AM ET

Gotcha, I haven’t watched most of this west coast swing myself, but I did see in a few of the games early, where the 4 PK bottled in the neutral zone, and the 1st pressing PK who released was actually just forcing play to one side of the ice, while letting the play pass by to block the lane on the back pass while the other three stacked, I assume that’s not how these teams have played us of late.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 10/22/19 at 08:17 AM ET