Abel to Yzerman

So What Do You Think?

My first question would be, why would Tavares come to Detroit at this stage of his career?  He will get paid wherever he decides to go.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Probably a Wings scout.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 05/23/18 at 02:12 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via Newsday in mid-April,

“Obviously, it’s a big decision,” Tavares said. “It’s not an easy decision. I want to give myself the best opportunity to win the Stanley Cup, and I obviously want to do it here (Islander). So I hope it works out.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/23/18 at 02:17 PM ET

I mean, outside of the money (which he will get ANYWHERE), what exactly is the draw to coming to Detroit a season and a half into a half-assed “rebuild”?

I find it hard to believe an “NHL Scout” was able to say that and keep a straight face

Posted by MZ2215 on 05/23/18 at 02:22 PM ET

And put the Wings in top 2!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Right.

Anyway, I would be highly suspicious of any free agent who looks at the league and says “yep, I’m going to sign with a team that is going absolutely nowhere soon”.

A guy like that doesn’t care about winning. Ask Frans Nielsen if he signed with Detroit because he wanted to win, and watch him try to keep a straight face.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/23/18 at 02:29 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

I love Tavares’ game, but Detroit is the wrong fit unless we can expel 2 of Abby/Helm/DDK, which obviously is not happening.

For Detroit, it makes way more sense to play the youth through the next season and hope for some Carolina luck next draft cycle for Jack Hughes.

Posted by duhduhduh on 05/23/18 at 03:20 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Apparently even NHL scouts are trolling Holland now.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 05/23/18 at 03:44 PM ET

Because he knows KH can deliver!

Posted by SlimChance on 05/23/18 at 04:06 PM ET

Weren’t we in the “running” for that Stamkos guy too?

Posted by murph1jj on 05/23/18 at 04:41 PM ET

Primis's avatar

To play Devil’s Advocate for a second…

After spending time with the Gong Show that is the Isles, it’s not impossible that Tavares could highly value a traditional, stable market with a good fanbase, a pretty stable front office/ownership group, and a low-key media presence considering the fanbase interest.

Detroit would tick off each one of those things.

I have no idea at all what he wants though, and it’s possible that he doesn’t either, just like Stamkos didn’t.

Posted by Primis on 05/23/18 at 04:58 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I forgot to add:  Detroit isn’t far from home Toronto, with the added benefit of being Not Toronto I guess.

Posted by Primis on 05/23/18 at 05:00 PM ET

awould's avatar

Depends on how long he thinks he has left to contribute to a Cup winner. He’d obviously speed up Detroit’s timeline on that, but realistically it will still be years away either way.

Posted by awould on 05/23/18 at 05:26 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Primis’s devil’s advocate makes some interesting points, but, I don’t know, it just doesn’t make sense overall. He has to know Detroit is 5-7 years away from potentially being a legit Cup contender.

Does he know Blashill? Like him?

Has he had clandestine talks with people in the Detroit organization who have told him “Blash is gone next year,so is Kenny; you come here and you pick our next coach / GM” ?

The mind wanders into strange ‘what ifs’ trying to make any sense out of this.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 05/23/18 at 06:08 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

My heart says yes.

This is a legit #1C and Hart trophy nominee. Who is to say winning and winning the Cup is his #1 priority?

I dont think its wrong to assume so. It probably is at or near the top. But we don’t know.

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/23/18 at 06:46 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

My heart says yes.

Plus where would the Red Wings fit the money under the Cap? confused

Posted by bigfrog on 05/23/18 at 07:32 PM ET

Please no, if he signs, he will be good, and will slow this rebuild process down, way down. and We might even “sneak” into the playoffs. Bad move if he signs here for this org.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 05/24/18 at 07:17 AM ET

Ajax19's avatar

lol no

Posted by Ajax19 on 05/24/18 at 07:26 AM ET

To play Devil’s Advocate for a second…

Detroit would tick off each one of those things.

The problem with that concept is that there are other teams that fit that same mold but are Stanley Cup contenders or closer to being Stanley Cup contenders including just about every original six team.

I really cannot see any reason he’d want to choose Detroit unless he or his family want to live in the area.

Posted by evileye on 05/24/18 at 10:05 AM ET

He will end up in Tampa, Pittsburgh, Chicago or LA in my opinion. Yes, I know they probably do not have cap space, but they seem to find ways to sign whoever they want anyway.
As to us, it would be great to have at least one star player on our team, but all it will accomplish really is that we will finish 18th instead of 28th.

Posted by VPalmer on 05/24/18 at 02:49 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I should add:  I personally don’t think there’s much chance at all Tavares ends up in Detroit.  And I don’t know if Detroit should want him, just from the standpoint that he’s one of about 43854305435 missing pieces right now.

However, there is a solid argument in Detroit’s favor if he had interest.

Most likely he ends up back with the NYI though.

Posted by Primis on 05/25/18 at 07:36 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Interesting market dynamics for a guy like Tavares, where does he go? He’d be a fantastic fit in Nashville just what they need, unsure how they would make it work cap wise. Las Vegas? Dicey proposition for a Canadian boy to go to an expansion franchise in the desert who knows what direction that goes long term.  Other powerhouses can’t afford him, Pitt Tampa Washington Sharks unless Thorton goes away, Jets all have LT Cap tied up.

With all that being said, Detroit is in about the same situation as Islanders, just with a better arena more stable ownership and fanbase, if he’s leaving the Isle, he’s not coming here.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 05/25/18 at 07:42 AM ET