Abel to Yzerman

Ryan Kesler - Yes Or No?

Let's say the Vancouver Canucks do indeed trade Ryan Kesler, would you be interested and if so, what would you give up?

Kesler's cap hit (capgeek.com) is $5M thru the 2015-16 season.  He is a natural center but has been on the wing this year and reports are he would prefer to play center.

Of course a local player from Livonia and he is 29 years of age.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Ryan Kesler is a miserable shitstain.  He grew up in Livonia rooting for the Avalanche because he hated Red Wings fans.  Everywhere he’s gone, he’s been a precious contrarian snowflake with a chip on his shoulder if everything isn’t going exactly his way.

Mike Babcock would eat Ryan Kesler alive. He wants out of Vancouver because they don’t have a coach who gives a shit about how broody he is. You think Tortorella makes him unhappy, wait until he gets a coach that treats all of his players like actual adults. Kesler is so used to acting like a child that he wouldn’t know what to do.

No thanks.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/27/14 at 11:58 AM ET

Paul's avatar

How do you really feel J.J.?!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/27/14 at 12:00 PM ET

SK77's avatar

For a second there I thought you were describing a few of the regulars around these parts.

Posted by SK77 on 02/27/14 at 12:10 PM ET

I really cant top what J.J. just said regarding Kesler. He lacks the class required to play for the Wings. D is the real need. A PP quarterback and a Brad Stuart type solid shutdown guy would give a healthy Wings the opportunity to be contenders.

Posted by scottytooshotty1 on 02/27/14 at 12:28 PM ET

He was, what, 11 when the Avs won the Cup?  He was a Sakic fan.  I’ve had occasion to work with a lot of 11 year old boys, so I find it hard to hold it against him.  I agree with a lot of what JJ says (I pretty much always do) but I also kind of love it.  He’s a grump and he hates every team he plays against and he plays with a chip on his shoulder.  My roommate is a Canucks fan -currently in despair about all this- so I’ve watched about 90% of their games this year, and Kesler is far and away my favorite.  He has the whatever-it-takes attitude I loved about Yzerman and love about Z and Alfie and don’t feel we have enough of right now.  He’s the kind of guy who will kill himself for his team.  I want him in Detroit badly.  Main concern: bringing a guy prone to injury into Detroit is pretty much asking for trouble.

No good at trades (I hear Vancouver wants a young center & maybe Tootoo?  But I hear a lot of goofy things and have no talent sorting sense from nonsense) so I won’t even try.  But yes, please.  I want Kesler.

Posted by flowerdew on 02/27/14 at 12:28 PM ET

If you twisted my arm, I would consent to swapping Franzen, Weiss, and Kindl for Edler and Kesler.

Posted by captaineclectic on 02/27/14 at 12:29 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Is the chip in his shoulder you all keep talking about throwing him off balance?  Is that why he goes flying all over the place at the slightest contact?  I never knew.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/27/14 at 12:39 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Not only is he a Livonia boy who loved the Av’s, but he went to that Ohio school as well.  As the Gunny in Full Metal Jacket said,” The best part of him was left on the mattress”. tongue rolleye . He would probably fit right in in Philly with Hartnell.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/27/14 at 12:53 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Maybe why he tends to div….errr, fall.

He wouldn’t be my first choice, and with a $5mil salary he would be tough to squeeze into the roster.  I think he would put up points, for sure, but I just wonder how he would fit in with the players and coaches, as JJ lamented.

How do I rank him?  If we had cap space, I’d give up Tootoo and Emmerton for him, which isn’t saying much.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/27/14 at 12:55 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Is that why he goes flying all over the place at the slightest contact?

Well he did grow up as an Avs fan, diving’s in his blood

Posted by Hootinani on 02/27/14 at 01:03 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Doug MacLean on Toronto radio says Kesler a fit with the Wings.

Datsyuk 35, who knows about Zetterberg.  Would have to be a dollar for dollar trade though.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/27/14 at 01:11 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

He’d have to bury the hatchet with Kronwall pretty quickly, I imagine too.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/27/14 at 01:14 PM ET

By the sounds of it, he would make a perfect penguin.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 02/27/14 at 01:17 PM ET

JJ - he was able to play with Dustin Brown and Backes in Sochi.  He’ll be fine with Kronner.

Posted by flowerdew on 02/27/14 at 01:31 PM ET

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/27/14 at 01:35 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

I heard he smells bad and doesn’t wear matching socks!

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 02/27/14 at 01:36 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

gimme a d-man or nothing at all(and i dont mean a d-man from the ‘nucks either).

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 02/27/14 at 01:41 PM ET

No, thanks.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/27/14 at 01:58 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I really dislike Kesler. He is not a fit in our system.

Whatever that is these days. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/27/14 at 01:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

not to be glib, but Team USA played all of six games and the narrative with that team was that when the going got tough, the team chemistry came apart.

Not that Kesler is shouldering blame for that happening. Just saying.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/27/14 at 02:11 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

GIven how much the rest of the 19 seem to hate him, and how much they hated Bertuzzi before he got here, I’m kinda sold on Kessler as a Wing. Kessler will come in with something to prove. That’s almost always a good thing.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/27/14 at 02:17 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

No thanks.

Posted by

J.J. from Kansas

on 02/27/14 at 10:58 AM ET

Everything J.J. said. Kessler is an A#1 toolbag.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 02/27/14 at 02:31 PM ET

And it’s fair to say that about the Canucks this year, too.  I imagine Kesler isn’t the most fun guy to hang out with, and his sound bytes are comically unpleasant.  His line was one of the best in Sochi, though.  To be fair, Dustin Brown was bumped from it in favor of Parise midway through -  I assume that was for performance reasons and not personality, but I have nothing to back that up.  If it was personality, though, Kesler was the one who got to stay, for whatever that’s worth.

I’ve gotten to watch a lot of his play this year from a quasi-fan-of-the-team perspective, as opposed to a fan being victimized, annoyed and infuriated by him, and this is what I see:

- He plays hard minutes in all situations & no matter how he feels - he led the USA forwards in icetime with a probable broken somethin somethin in his hand, and has played ungodly minutes in Vancouver
- He plays smart & responsible hockey
- If he’s been disgruntled this year/hated his coach/whatever, it hasn’t affected his play negatively - but I suspect he’s the kind of guy who plays best when he’s a little disgruntled.  He’s been just about the only heart and soul player for the Canucks this year
- He is a complete unpleasant jerk to play against

I also remember that I wanted nothing to do with Shanny before we got him - I’d heard all the stories and I didn’t want that anywhere near the Wings’ locker room.  I came around.  So I have to say, a little surliness doesn’t bother me overmuch.

I really really like him.  I would be thrilled to have him here.

Posted by flowerdew on 02/27/14 at 02:43 PM ET

Sorry, that was in reply to JJ.  I’m bad at this anyway and am replying on my phone to boot, apologies for the ugliness.

Posted by flowerdew on 02/27/14 at 02:45 PM ET

J.J. is right. He hates the Wings and Michigan in general. He’s never been too shy about the fact he roots against the Wings. And I’ve always heard he is not a source of good will in the locker room, to put it lightly.

Posted by teldar on 02/27/14 at 03:40 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Shanny came into a locker room that had Yzerman, Larionov, Fetisov…  and Bowman.  I think those guys commanded such respect that even a hothead had to step back and think a bit.  I think Z is that way in the room, but I think something about his Swedishness, or how frustrating his style of lockdown defensive play is to those he’s matched against, that leaves him not quite as respected around the league as those guys were.

I’m not saying Kesler would necessarily be a problem; just that I don’t think he can rightly be compared to Shanahan when the situation is so different, and the man behind the situation as well for that matter.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/27/14 at 03:55 PM ET

Primis's avatar

When did Kesler become a d-man?

Posted by Primis on 02/27/14 at 04:02 PM ET

Fetisov and Larionov were respected with the Russians, definitely, and probably nearly as respected within the team.  Leaguewide, though, I don’t agree - the way they were hacked and the anti-Russian sentiment in general was pretty gross.  I feel like Z gets way more respect leaguewide than Fetisov and Larionov did at the time Shanny joined the team.  And the attitude towards Stevie was totally different before the Cups.  Bowman, sure, but Bowman wasn’t really popular.  The way everyone sees them now is light-years off how they were in 96.  There was a lot to feel aggrieved and disrespected about as a Wings player or fan at the time.

But I was also referring to other stories, ones that I considered far worse than the hothead ones.  I had a lot of steam built up for Shanny as too classless to join my team, way more than I could muster for a diving grouch.  But like I said, I came around.

teldar - he comes home to Michigan each summer, he can’t hate it that badly.  If he does, though, he’ll refuse to waive to come here, and you have nothing to worry about.

Posted by flowerdew on 02/27/14 at 04:13 PM ET

When did Kesler become a d-man?

When one of Detroit’s two best two-way forwards had surgery and became unavailable for two months.

Posted by Garth on 02/27/14 at 04:41 PM ET

Trish's avatar

He was GREAT at faceoffs in Sochi.
But if he hates the Wings then piss on him, we don’t need him.

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 02/27/14 at 04:59 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Kesler is so used to acting like a child that he wouldn’t know what to do.

No thanks.

That pretty much sums up what many Red Wings think of Kesler. Now that I said it, watch the Red Wings pick him up.

Posted by bigfrog on 02/27/14 at 08:55 PM ET

He’s in Michigan because his parents live here and they don’t want to leave the State.  Otherwise, Michigan is an inconvenience to him.

No.  Don’t want him in the Wings sweater.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/28/14 at 02:18 PM ET