Abel to Yzerman

Mattias Brome Has A Shot At Cracking Detroit’s Lineup

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

The Detroit Red Wings have not had much success recently with undrafted European free agents.

Steve Yzerman hopes Mattias Brome ends that trend.

The Red Wings signed Brome, a 6-foot, 183-pound left wing from Sweden, to a one-year entry-level contract in April.

“I like his hockey sense, I like his competitiveness,” Yzerman said. “He’s not a Henrik Zetterberg- or Pavel Datsyuk-type of finesse player, he’s a worker with some skills and can contribute and make plays and finish a little bit. We’ll see if that translates in the NHL.

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

So, in other less eloquent and professional words, he has potential bottom-six skill?

Posted by Unhealthy Scratch on 06/02/20 at 12:53 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The Detroit News on prospect Lucas Raymond.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/02/20 at 01:11 PM ET

Gives me Tomas Nosek vibes.

Posted by RyanVM on 06/02/20 at 01:43 PM ET

I don’t think so.  Im not expecting much, but defensively responsible with good hockey sense and can chip in offense are very valuable on the top two lines… Even the third line. I hate bottom six…. I prefer top 9 with a speedy checking line, not even checking, but just a high energy line.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 06/02/20 at 02:01 PM ET

Posted by DieByTheWing on 06/02/20 at 02:01 PM ET

I agree, just having a little fun with Blashill’s less than glowing recent assessment of Timashov.

Posted by Unhealthy Scratch on 06/02/20 at 02:32 PM ET

We could use more skilled depth in mobile, defensively sound
mature players. Ehn offers virtually no offense.
Rasmussen if he makes it at center isn’t really that
type of player. Veleno is a ways off. One or even both of Helm
or Glendening could be gone after next season.

Seemed like Rybar played fairly well in Grand Rapids.
I didn’t see him - just based on numbers and some write-ups
in Red Wings Central. I guess some guys have a shorter window
in which they’re looking for an opportunity and if it never comes
and they’re past the age of being a prospect, even for a goalie, they might as well
play at home rather than the AHL. Too bad. But again, no idea
what Rybar’s game looked at from a scouting perspective and if there
were holes in his game that would be exposed in the NHL.

Posted by lefty.30 on 06/02/20 at 03:14 PM ET

Ya, I mean, taking out whoever we get this year…
But Larkin/Mantha/ Bertuzzi, Ras, Veleno, Zadina… maybe Givanni and Brohm if he pans out, we start getting the semblence of a skilled, gritty, defensively sound top 9 eventually if things go well…. we really need Zadina to be a true elite offensive player though, and hopefully Veleno to at least be as good as Larkin, but we could really use another legit star/superstar… but a colleciton of really good players will be good too, the Boston model so to speak.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 06/02/20 at 03:23 PM ET

I have no real insight or basis, maybe just a gut feeling or
erring in the direction of caution, but I don’t really expect
either Rasmussen or Veleno to be impact players.
If they can both be top-nine players and part of the solution
for a long time - or who knows, eventually solid NHL players
moved for other positional needs, I’d be satisfied.

Everything is in such flux that it’s hard to project the next season
as a normal developmental year. Maybe we’ll know what Rasmussen
and Veleno are in two years.

But agreed, given how rare picks as high as even 6th have been for us,
and the lack of scoring depth, it’s really important Zadina be closer to great than
good. Not as in superstar, but as in consistent star scoring winger who isn’t a one-way liability. He seems to care and play with effort so I’m hopeful.

Posted by lefty.30 on 06/02/20 at 04:32 PM ET

Agreed Lefty.  Everyone seems excited about Veleno… and I am to a degree, he looked great in the world juniors playing with Laferniere, but more as a dependable hard working C… Im curious to see how his skills translate to the NHL, Im thinking Larkin work ethic, but maybe not quite as skilled?
Ras… who knows.  Right now Im hoping for Jordan Staal like.

But if thats the case for both of them… htat might be enough to have a depth based stanley cup contender rather than a star driven one… so we’ll see.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 06/02/20 at 04:44 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Weird, iwas just thinking of asking Paul last night about Brome. Crazy coincidence. The reason I was thinking of him was this video I was watching:

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/02/20 at 06:04 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Just read Ansars article. He mentioned a name I haven’t heard in a long time: Alexander Kadeykin

He is a big dude with some talent. I would like to see him come in for the preseason and see what he has.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/02/20 at 06:18 PM ET

Kadeykin has popped up in some rumors recently as a guy
the Wings might sign.

If I recall, he moved to a more talent-laden powerhouse a few seasons
ago and in a lesser role his minutes and points declined. But more recently
on a different squad he’s been putting up better numbers again.
Maybe that and overall maturity as a player has put him back on the map.

Posted by lefty.30 on 06/02/20 at 11:02 PM ET

Bröme looks like he has pretty good hands and decent speed and some vision and sense at least. He likely won’t ever have the same time and space in the NHL, but if he’s an energetic enough checker he might get enough opportunities to get some scoring chances.

I’m still faintly traumatized by the highlight video of Oliwer Kaski
this time last year consisting of nothing but slapshots overlaid
with goofy sound effects. Might have been a little bit of playmaking
in the offensive zone…but mostly just slapshots.

Bröme looks like he takes the puck to the net a lot
and has some creativity.

Posted by lefty.30 on 06/02/20 at 11:16 PM ET

I think what you just described Lefty is another Erne.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/04/20 at 05:37 PM ET