Abel to Yzerman

Make Your Best Offer For Pierre-Luc Dubois

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

I would love to land Dubois, with he and Larkin we’d have our top two center spots nailed down for the better part of a decade.  My gut feeling is that he would cost too much to acquire, if we even have the type of assets that Columbus wants.  My guess is that they would want something we don’t have to offer, namely another center to replace Dubois since they aren’t exactly deep at that position.

Posted by MikeO on 01/22/21 at 01:19 PM ET

My guess it will take at least Larkin, so no.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/22/21 at 01:21 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Wings have recalled Givani Smith from the taxi squad.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/22/21 at 01:25 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Frank Seravalli of TSN,

The question now: Might the optics of Dubois’ shift give suitors a moment of pause? The answer to that is “no,” and resoundingly so.

“That didn’t change anything for me,” one NHL GM said Friday. “I don’t love the look of it, I’ll be honest, but those who know the player say he’s a great kid. He’s a great player. Lots of players are unhappy in their situation. Some wear that on their sleeve and I’m okay with that.”

In a hockey world with few guarantees, there is one: GM Jarmo Kekalainen’s phone is lighting up like a Christmas tree Friday with calls from other managers trying to pry Dubois loose.

It would be easier to list the teams that don’t have interest in Dubois, the No. 3 overall pick from the 2016 draft, or likely don’t have the assets to pull it off: Carolina, Chicago, Edmonton, Florida, Nashville, Toronto and Vegas.

That leaves 20-plus teams – more than two-thirds of the league – with varying degrees of interest and intrigue in the 61-point centre.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/22/21 at 01:30 PM ET

Kuks isn’t getting another teams best player.  PLD is good but he’s not even the best player on his own team.  And he’s disgruntled.  And as I hear won’t sign an extension before the trade.  Kuks has no leverage now that its turned into what it has.  Caps are tight too.  Better to get picks or prospects so at least you’ve got a chance at a player with a ceiling as high or higher.  Play Texier in the top spot.  Laine hasn’t been moved and I imagine its a lot of the same teams interested in both.  No ones bit.  Doubt PLD goes for what cbus wants.

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/22/21 at 01:33 PM ET

Also, id keep every wing they’d want vs trading them for PLD

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/22/21 at 01:36 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

I’m with MikeO.  The Wings do not have the Center (or prospects down the middle) to swing a likely trade with CLB.

So, then the question becomes what do the Wings have “too much” of, that they could free up to make a play for this player?  The obvious answer is “nothing”, with deficiencies at Center, Center prospects, Wing, Defense, and Goaltending Prospects.

PLD would help alleviate the Center deficiency, but not without a significant organizational rearrangement.

I don’t think timing is right for the Wings to start moving futures to bring in tangibles, so even something like Mantha + next-two-First Round picks doesn’t seem to align with the overall team timeline.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 01/22/21 at 01:45 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Mantha for PLD - maybe then they’d both develop some work ethic.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/22/21 at 02:18 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

Dubois has some commitment issues…but if SY is interested its because he knows he can fix it..

Looking at Big MO recently, floating around, scoring goals without any reaction..i’d swap him for Dubois right now..

This is a new season, Mantha is healthy, new contract. But instead he shows no interest, no passion, no intensity..most of the time.

Its time to make a move with him, everybody on this team is working as hard has i ever seen…except Mantha..

So go for it !

...you can include Helm and Nielsen in the deal if you want ! lol

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 01/22/21 at 02:22 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

It’s interesting to me because it’s the opposite side of what SY experienced in Tampa with Drouin and Marty St. Louis.  I am surprised he’d be interested in having a guy like this on the roster, too.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just tire kicking, but I just don’t see Y bringing someone like PLD in without some serious veteran leadership on the Wings.  If this team had Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Draper - I could see it.  But this team is in such a different spot just from a leadership, mentoring perspective.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/22/21 at 02:29 PM ET

Best offer for PLD?

Blashill, Svech, Nielsen, Helm and how about cholowski. That should get it done.

Not real interested in him if you can’t tell. Doesn’t want to be in Columbus…not sure if it’s the market, the state, torts or something else. Not what would change in a move to Detroit. Can’t deny he’s got a damn high potential ceiling, but having watched him in a few games this season i’d rather he be someone else’s project..

I know a lot of people are frustrated with mantha 4 games in but i’m willing to be a little more patient. Agree that his play has left a lot to be desired. Would rather work with the devil we know than the one we don’t.

Posted by MZ2215 on 01/22/21 at 02:46 PM ET

I’d move Mantha and a 2nd without thinking twice about it, but I don’t think that’s enough to get it done. Another team will offer more than that, and I’m not sure he’s worth more.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 01/22/21 at 02:49 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

If the Wings decided to go this way i would take Laine over Doob Wa.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/22/21 at 03:06 PM ET

You know, i bet the guys already on the team are gonna play like world beaters to show Steve they dont need another center.  Could be some trademark Bowman level mind games.  Fingers crossed.

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/22/21 at 03:30 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

If the Wings decided to go this way i would take Laine over Doob Wa.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/22/21 at 03:06 PM ET

Yes sir, x2 from me.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/22/21 at 03:46 PM ET

Laine is apparently expecting at least $9m per on his next contract, that alone would make me steer clear of a deal for him.  Not to mention, Winnipeg would only be trading him for a top six center or a top pair defenseman, neither of which we can part with since Larkin and Seider aren’t going anywhere.  If the Wings were willing to part with Hronek plus a pick and/or a prospect, Winnipeg might be interested, but I don’t know that the Wings would be any better off if they made that swap.  Defense is the biggest weakness when I look at the Wing’s roster, moving the best defenseman currently on the roster to get a streaky scoring winger doesn’t make much sense, in my opinion. If Winnipeg were willing to deal Laine for futures it might make sense if the price is right, but I hear Winnipeg wants established talent if they are going to deal him.

Posted by MikeO on 01/22/21 at 04:04 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I was waiting for the Mantha bashing…...

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/22/21 at 04:16 PM ET

I was waiting for the Mantha bashing…

Cool story.

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 01/22/21 at 04:53 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Mantha good trading chip if he doesn’t step up.  Best market is Montreal of course.  Steve could feel them out.  Maybe we can get whats his name back!

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/22/21 at 05:24 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by MikeO on 01/22/21 at 04:04 PM ET

I do not think either player makes sense at this point but Laine is a step up from Dubois. Both these kids.seem like a pain in the ass at this point. I cannot believe that so many of these kids are requesting trades.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/22/21 at 05:42 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I cannot believe that so many of these kids are requesting trades.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/22/21 at 05:42 PM ET

You’re right about that. It’s only 4 games into the season, and, not much is certain or normal by any measure. Probably won’t be for some time to come. Maybe these players need an attitude adjustment. Maybe not. I know a change of scenery can be a plus, but, that is unlikely until you prove you can cut it as a player and teammate.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/22/21 at 05:57 PM ET

Agreed we probably don’t have the piece(s)
Columbus would want. Especially since Domi
is struggling so much at center so far.

It’s not a bad idea to inquire and perhaps get a sense
of the market for future moves.

Dubois at his best is that big, strong, two-way
top-line center every playoff team could use.
But that’s a really demanding job and role for
any young player. Part of me understands him
bristling occasionally at being ridden hard to be
that guy every night. But there’s no reason to believe
it’s because the coach doesn’t like him or is singling him out.
It’s more likely because he has a chance to be great
and to help lead a team that could possibly win it all.

I saw someone comment that Dubois had similar issues in junior,
making it clear he didn’t want to play for Cape Breton.
I have no idea if there’s any truth to that. And would take
any account about a player that young with a grain of salt.

But if Dubois doesn’t like being pushed by a Cup winning coach like
Tortorella, would he respect Blashill or whomever is hired next?
If he doesn’t like Columbus, would he want to play in another city
that’s not quite NYC or LA or Toronto or Montreal? Detroit of course
is a true hockey city in a hockey region and has all the history and
heritage a player could want. And our GM is a great asset and recruiter, in and of himself.  But weren’t not close to the playoffs yet.
He could probably help us get closer. But it makes me wonder what exactly it is
he’s craving or is so dissatisfied with. What if he wants out of whichever team acquires him, too?

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/22/21 at 11:30 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I would trade Rasmussen and something for um. The wings have the same player in Solderblom in waiting so make the move.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 01/22/21 at 11:48 PM ET