Abel to Yzerman

I NOW Consider Damien Cox A Hall of Fame Writer

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  Paul pointed it out in a comment over on KK Hockey and it's got me conflicted and a little teary.

But what’s really interesting is that the Wings beat the Bruins three times this year. Henrik Zetterberg might show up partway through the series, but if Gustav Nyqvist keeps scoring (18 goals since Feb. 2) Detroit might have enough scoring. Jimmy Howard against Tuukka Rask is a compelling goalie matchup.

AND THE WINNER IS: Wings in seven

Quirky.

I agree with one point and disagree with another.

I, personally, believe the season series means exactly nothing.  But Nyquist?  Yes.  That would be a key.  It would seem, with no statistics to back me up whatsoever, that he tailed off when Datsyuk came back.

If he and Datsyuk are both scoring, or at least both dangerous, there is reason to hope.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

I’m not sure how I feel about this.

This is really playing havoc with my intense need to disagree with anything Cox says.

Posted by Garth on 04/16/14 at 11:43 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I was silently hoping all the pundits picked the B’s.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/16/14 at 11:48 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

This. And the possibility of the Ass turning back into the Mule is there too.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/16/14 at 11:51 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I’m shocked.  I never agree with Cox…wow.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/16/14 at 11:52 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Nyquist will be targeted for physical abuse by the Bs.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/16/14 at 12:05 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Nyquist will be targeted for physical abuse by the Bs.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/16/14 at 12:05 PM ET

Him among all the other kids…...  and lil Gary’s flying monkeys won’t see a thing

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/16/14 at 12:15 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

After many hours of data entry and dawdling with these the last two months, I have to put in a couple of Final Standings POS graphs.

This is the Eastern Conference last 1/4 season, I think.

Conf Long Final Apr 14
Back in mid-March I targeted 92 points as the minimum hurdle the Wings would need, and the record they would need to get to 92 points from Game 67 ->.  I doubted they would match that record, they actually exceeded it.

From March 20.  Note TOR was nearly on my “can’t miss group”.  Nearly.
POS 20 Mar 14B

And how the one-time contenders finished.

POS Final Apr 14

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/16/14 at 12:19 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

They will never see us coming, never take us seriously - I love that position

Posted by joedaiceman on 04/16/14 at 12:24 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The other day, Babs said that Gus needs to stop “deferring” to Pavel and just shoot the puck more. I’m sure they’re putting in a lot of practice time this week working on that very thing.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/16/14 at 12:33 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I have analyzed the series. All that needs to happen is the Wings have to score more goals in 4 games than the other team.

What’s the big deal?

I like the 40,000 foot view. Leave the pesky details of how to accomplish that to the players and coaches. That’s THEIR job, not mine.

Posted by dougie on 04/16/14 at 12:40 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Who is Damien Cox? What Pharmacology school did he go to?

Indeed OTC. Since Pavs return Nike seems more focused on setting up the perfect pass instead of shooting. Watching Nike on the line with Pavs left me screaming at the TV just shoot the da#*  puck!

How will the Broonz deal with the Wings?  Look for the low skilled assembled Massholes to go after Nike, Tartar, Pavs and anybody else they can ding up.  If Z makes an appearance, they might as well just put a target on his surgery spot.

That being said, Dougies scientific analysis is spot on.  I suspect that 9 out of 10 Dentists would agree with him. (and I hear that 10th Dentist is a contrarian prick)

I like this team.

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 04/16/14 at 12:52 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

When Mule sat the other night, and Abby played with Pav and Gus, the line was much better. I’m glad to see that Uncle Mike liked it too.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/16/14 at 12:54 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Sorry, I should have explained that Paul put up the practice lines on Malik’s blog.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/16/14 at 12:57 PM ET

I, personally, believe the season series means exactly nothing.

Damien Cox should have figured that out, too.  That’s why I don’t believe him.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/16/14 at 01:09 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“The margin for victory between all the teams is very slim and mistakes made by players and officials are magnified at this time of year. Simply put, mistakes can be the difference between a team and an official from going on in the playoffs or going home! ... “

(bold emphasis mine)

“injuries and officiating”

16 to 12

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/16/14 at 01:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I will confess to this Band of Bitches that I have no eFFing clue who Damien Cox is, but I DO know who Damian Lewis is.

image

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/16/14 at 01:40 PM ET

I have no eFFing clue who Damien Cox is

Consider yourself lucky.

He’s a hack POS writer for the Toronto Star.

Posted by Garth on 04/16/14 at 01:58 PM ET

Garth, I think you’ve spurred a good Summer topic - Who are the worst hockey writers/media?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 04/16/14 at 02:28 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Adrian Dater

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/16/14 at 02:50 PM ET

Nyquist has 14 SOG in the 6 games since Datsyuk came back. 2.33 a game.  For the whole rest of the year Nyquist has 139 SOG in 51 games.  2.72 a game.

In order to get from 2.33 to 2.72 Nyquist would have had to take around 2-3 more shots over the course of 6 games.

The smaller point here is that given the small sample size it’s entirely possible Nyquist’s shot selection hasn’t changed at all, or that even if it has we’re talking about so few shots over enough games to make it a pretty tough thing to designate as a trend.  With such a small sample it could literally be a difference in number of shots, but not shot attempts.

The larger point here is that, speaking generally, Nyquist doesn’t hardly shoot anyway.  Telling him to shoot more would be entirely appropriate advice regardless.

Who are the worst hockey writers/media?

Go for the shorter list and find three that don’t suck.  Hockey writing is the Inkster of sports media, which is the Inkster of major media, which is the Inkster of life.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/16/14 at 03:10 PM ET

awould's avatar

The Inkster of life. That’s awesome.

Posted by awould on 04/16/14 at 04:15 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

The Mick speaks…....all hail.

Mickey Redmond
50 mins ·

Hey Gang… Been doing a little research and got a great stat for you… Of the past 8 President’s Trophy winners, 4 of them have been eliminated first round of the playoffs. (including the Wings in 05-06)
Let’s go Wings and bring on Boston!

Actually, he meant to say “Let’s GO Red Wings !!!!!”

Put that in yur stat pipe and smoke it…......

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 04/16/14 at 09:01 PM ET

Patrick Marleau looking like Joe Thornton just bit him in the peeper.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/16/14 at 09:28 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Patrick Marleau looking like Joe Thornton just bit him in the peeper.

I was thinking Joe must’ve just scored 4 goals.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/16/14 at 11:08 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I was thinking Joe must’ve just scored 4 goals.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/16/14 at 11:08 PM ET

Clearly not a playoff game then.

Posted by Primis on 04/17/14 at 11:36 AM ET