Abel to Yzerman

Hey Wake Up

I know the 19 have better things to do during the off-season, but if you can put down your beverage for a minute, I have one question for you.

What UFA do want want to see in the winged-wheel next season?

No trade involved, just strictly one signing or do you feel the Wings should stay the course and let it play out during training camp.

But if you do think they should make a trade, go ahead and make the offer.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’d like to see Niskanen.  Maybe Stastny.  If were living in fantasy land wink

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/30/14 at 03:56 PM ET

awould's avatar

Ehrhoff on a 3-4 year deal.
Niskanen on as short of a deal as possible.
Boyle no more than 2 years.

Then if they could trade Kindl for some picks that would be nice. Move up a youngster.

I’ll generally be happy if they acquire any real help on D, no matter the price, which assumes Holland isn’t going to allow himself to get fleeced. Doing nothing is a mistake.

Posted by awould on 06/30/14 at 03:59 PM ET

Paul, I assume you’ll be meeting with Ken Holland tonight to pass these ideas along to him, correct?

How about Niskanen at $6.25M for 7 years? And then Kindl to EDM or BUF for some extra water bottles and pucks.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/30/14 at 04:00 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Believe it or not BL, Holland does read KK but not sure if he is browsing the internet right now.

I will come out with the old joke again…  Maybe he plans to stop at every gas station tomorrow starting at noon, hoping to receive a phone call.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/30/14 at 04:02 PM ET

Holland confirmed to you that he reads KK?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/30/14 at 04:07 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Oops, VL, sorry for the BL last comment.

Yes, he has caught us NHL Home Ice too.

Not to beat our own drum, but many people from owners to staff to media read KK on a regular basis.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/30/14 at 04:11 PM ET

Boyle on a two-year deal and a short deal for Gilbert would be nice. Kindl to anyone for a conditional 7th rounder.

Posted by Lidstromfan on 06/30/14 at 04:11 PM ET

Soupsnake's avatar

I wouldn’t be suprised. Didn’t George get a call from Shanahan last year at the behest of the Wing’s organization on a suspension ruling?

Posted by Soupsnake from Canton, Mi on 06/30/14 at 04:13 PM ET

Soupsnake's avatar

spelling fail on surprised.

Here’s the link

Posted by Soupsnake from Canton, Mi on 06/30/14 at 04:14 PM ET

Paul's avatar

There is some breaking trade talk that Jeff Petry may be on the trade block.

Right handed shot and local guy.

Just putting it out there.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/30/14 at 04:14 PM ET

Iginla is pretty much all I want.

Posted by bababooey on 06/30/14 at 04:15 PM ET

Paul, I am aware about the media referencing KK - actually, I’ve found some media members consider KK to be a primary resource because of your guys’ great work.

I was not aware that members of team management read the site. Although again, with the quality of your guys’ work, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/30/14 at 04:19 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Thomas Vanek

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 06/30/14 at 04:24 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

Preferably, we let Quincey walk and trade Kindl (and potentially Lashoff, though I’m fine with keeping him as the #7 guy).

I’d sign Ehrhoff to a 4 year deal, Boyle to a 2 year deal, and bring up Marchenko.  That’s two right handers to add to the mix, even though Marchenko really would be nothing more than the #6/7 guy. I’d look at Gilbert as a fall-back, 2 year deal, for either of Ehrhoff or Boyle.  If he didn’t shoot right, I’m not sure I’d give him a second thought.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 06/30/14 at 04:29 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

Iginla.  Put him on a line with Abby and Cleary and you have the rebirth of Iggy and the Stooges.

Ehrhoff
Boyle

No NIskannen.  We have a couple in GR that will be as good and less costly.

Posted by Colquhoun on 06/30/14 at 04:40 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Ehrhoff first
Niskanen second
Boyle never

And if they are looking at forwards still with the cap the way it is:

Stastny first
Iginla second
Johansen offer sheet third

Posted by Hootinani on 06/30/14 at 04:48 PM ET

von Awesome's avatar

I would prefer if we signed no one, because i’m not a fan of this era of the free agency-signing period where players are over-valued and speculated on way too much to the detriment of the players themselves. So if it’s all well and good, I’d rather stay the course with what we have, and wait til the trade deadline for any moves in case we are too close to the bubble for comfort. In this scenario, we at least give an opportunity for the younger kids to get some sunlight, which may work to help boost their trade value whenever we may have to move one of them.

If you put a gun to my head, and say “pick” I’m going with Boyle on a two year deal for 9-11 million.

Posted by von Awesome on 06/30/14 at 04:49 PM ET

BettmenSucks79's avatar

One guy: Probably Boyle.

Perfect world, move Kindl and get Stralman.

Posted by BettmenSucks79 on 06/30/14 at 04:50 PM ET

BettmenSucks79's avatar

Move kindl and get stralman along with boyle is what i meant

Posted by BettmenSucks79 on 06/30/14 at 04:51 PM ET

defense - ehrhoff & volchenkov - you want a right handed shot - trade smith-kindle-lash for whatever you can get…next years draft is supposed to be deep - or trade them to a team that needs to get to the cap floor and let sproul, marchenko and oulette battle it out. Even robidas maybe

forward - stastny (dreaming - I know) - richards - penner - Cammalleri - ott (terrible +/- though) - morrow - depending on the salary and if you can move a guy out - like abdelkader or franzen or weiss - otherwise nothing probably

boyle looked really slow in the playoffs, the games I watched - I’m personally not interested.

niskanen had one good year where he got points being on one of the most stacked teams in the league - thats risky business sending him a 7 year contract. I have been a fan of him even before the pens but that is a crap shoot.

Posted by diesel44 on 06/30/14 at 05:04 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

A defenseman who can reliably get the puck to the forwards from his own zone.

Erhoff
Niskanen
Del Zotto
Piktanen
Glibert
Stralman
Boyle -1 year only
Robidas

In that order.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 06/30/14 at 05:21 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

LeBron James.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/30/14 at 05:21 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m sorry I’m going to have to change my stastny to an iginla.

And the fact KH reads KK explains everything about GMs fervent defense’s of all the front office.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/30/14 at 05:37 PM ET

Niskanen or Ehrhoff, preferably Niskanen just so Babcock can have his right.  I don’t care about the term because I would rather make the kids earn their spots on the roster instead of having their spots gifted to them like Smith, Kindl and Lashoff did.  Competition will make everyone better.  I would love for, in three years, people to actually be nervous playing the Wings because they have guys on the third pairing who could be on the second or even the first pairings.

Boyle, Stralman or Gilbert on shortish deals would be a (distant) Plan B for me.

Dump Kindl and let the kids battle it out for his spot (and hopefully two of them can emerge and platoon the #6 spot, allowing the Wings to let Lashoff drop down to GR).

Iginla would be awesome but, as with Alfredsson, the idea that we’d have to be using next year’s cap space in order to fit him is concerning.  I would love to have him though.

Posted by Garth on 06/30/14 at 05:58 PM ET

If I can add to the wish list: I hope the Wings spend to the cap or very close, because I don’t want them to even be able to sign Dan Cleary to a two-way contract…

Posted by Garth on 06/30/14 at 06:04 PM ET

Garth, I’ve been wondering if the lower-than-expected salary cap may have been the death knell for Danny boy.

Let me rephrase: I’m hoping the lower-than-expected salary cap will be the death knell for Danny boy.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/30/14 at 06:07 PM ET

Niskanen.

Honorable mentions: Ehrhoff, Boyle, Iginla, Pouliot.

Posted by Dont Toews Me Bro on 06/30/14 at 06:10 PM ET

This is hard, Boss.  My knowledge of the CBA is about as existent as a T-Rex dancing a Tchaikovsky ballet in a meadows full of blue bells and daffodils.  However, if I had my druthers, I’d like the Wings to find a top four defenseman to take some pressure off Kronner.  If they do nothing (which I wouldn’t put it past them), I’d like 65DD to step up and absolutely dominate the second pairing.

But above all else, I’d put an onus on the training staff to be better at anticipating and helping our guys stay healthy.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 06/30/14 at 06:10 PM ET

The_Firebird's avatar

I would love it if the Wings could get something of value in return for Kindl; if the press out of Edmonton was trying to drum up some interest in the possibility of signing Kyle Quincey, perhaps Kindl would better suit them, and EDM could throw a 2015 3rd or 4th round pick Detroit’s way in return.

Posted by The_Firebird on 06/30/14 at 06:11 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Drew Doughty. Whoops, not on market.

Niskanen.

Posted by MoreShoot on 06/30/14 at 06:21 PM ET

Me too, though my worry is that the lower cap might mean they can’t make a competitive offer for someone like Iginla, then if Alfie isn’t healthy, we suddenly have Cleary on a three-year, 35+ deal…

Posted by Garth on 06/30/14 at 07:02 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Niskanen.

Honorable mentions: Ehrhoff, Boyle, Iginla, Pouliot.

Niskanen would e too expensive to pay for a one year performance. The others are good possibilities.

Posted by bigfrog on 06/30/14 at 07:03 PM ET

Niskanen would e too expensive to pay for a one year performance

I wonder if people just don’t have access to previous years’ stats on a Niskanen.

He’s gotten better and better numbers in each year since he was traded to Pittsburgh.  This year he played his most minutes and his toughest minutes because of Letang being out of the lineup for so long.

The reason everyone wants him is that he’s just entering the prime of his career.

The idea that anyone would not want to pay a guy who is instantly your #2 guy -at least- and your power play quarterback just boggles my mind.

Posted by Garth on 06/30/14 at 07:17 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Cause they drinknths KH koolaid hespits when signing our own guys.  People forget he covered down for letting an GOT BETTER

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/30/14 at 08:05 PM ET

Surfer Ken's avatar

Hello Kenny
Hi Coach Mike wink

Posted by Surfer Ken from San Clemente on 06/30/14 at 10:30 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

There is some breaking trade talk that Jeff Petry may be on the trade block. Right handed shot and local guy. Just putting it out there.
—Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/30/14 at 05:14 PM ET

I’d be willing to investigate this and if all they want is picks I’d be willing to offer next year’s 4rh and “maybe” next years 2nd. I’d rather give a 4th or our 4th and one of our 4th-7th round picks this year, or something else similar.

Iff Gilbert is willing to take a 2-3 year deal he’s my option-A, else it’s Boyle on a 2-year deal. Gilbert is a fine example of a team not developing it’s own player properly(Edmonton). When Edmonton signed Gilbert for 6yrs/$24m it made him that city’s number 1 target for disappointed fans and he kinda crumbled under that pressure. Gilbert bounce back ast year and I’d be happy to see him try to continue his re-emergence with us.

Basically, I don’t want us to sign anyone who is a UFA for 6 years or something. My hope is that Marchenko uses up his rookie eligibility next year… playing 30-40 games.

For the forwards it’s either Alfredsson or play kids.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 06/30/14 at 10:34 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I want Pitkanen if he’s cleared and healthy again, and have wanted him for months.  If he is, he’s the only proven 1st pairing UFA out there.  His camp being mute seems to indicate he’s not/won’t be ready though… so I’ve stopped championing him so much.

Failing that, only really acceptable other UFA d-men are Ehrhoff or maybe Stralman.  Ehrhoff could eat minutes still I guess, and Stralman would simply be as a 2nd pairing guy to replace Quincey (but doesn’t slot Ericsson down, so his help would be minimal).

I actively don’t want Boyle, Gilbert, Meszaros, Del Zotto, or Robidas.  And I’m not 100% sold on Niskanen at the ridiculous price point he’s going to get.

I have no interest whatsoever in the Forward market.  D-man or bust.

Posted by Primis on 06/30/14 at 10:50 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I’m sure that’s due to the high level of intellect you find here. (Ahem)

Posted by calquake on 06/30/14 at 10:59 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

In the dream world, Ehrhoff is the first choice at something in the $4 million cap hit neighborhood. Vanek is second but not particularly realistic or even necessary with all the young top 6 forward talent. Going after Vanek almost means you have to find a dance partner to take Franzen off your hands.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/01/14 at 07:16 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

My thoughts echo somewhere between von Awesome, SYF and Primus. I don’t really see an defensive upgrade available, but the team needs defensive help. Anybody brought in is going to bar the way for someone coming up. I’m thinking the best option is to go short-term to lower the risk and keep roster flexibility. I like the Pitkanen idea were he healthy; not Boyle, that guy is looking for a last payday, effectively going ROAD. No use crying over spilt milk, but Suter was the guy. Missing out on that signing… just develop and go with what we’ve got unless we can trade some of the asset stockpile for a game-changer / budding future HOFer.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 07/01/14 at 07:44 AM ET