Abel to Yzerman

GDT - WCQF Game 2: Red Wings (0-1) at Ducks (1-0) 10:00

Tuesdays game was pretty damn ugly.  One goal, on the powerplay, and just 22 measley SOG.  Of course, you can't shoot if you don't have the puck to begin with. Damn near the whole game was spent in the Wings end.

When the Ducks did not have the puck in the DET end, their aggressive forecheck caused DET turnovers or puck dumps to neutral ice - - so ANA could gather the puck and attack again.  DET had very limited sustained attack in the Ducks end;  the Wings were one and done - if they coiuld get through the neutral zone at all.  It seemed to me that ANA won the majority of the 50-50 puck battles - they were almost always coming off the wall with the puck.

Said Uncle Mike:  “We didn’t execute very well coming out of our own zone. We didn’t have a lot of speed, therefore we didn’t have attack time. I thought we forechecked real poorly. I didn’t think we had much energy on our forecheck. When you get a chance to go back for the puck you want to execute the first time and get moving. And if you don’t, you spend too much time in your own zone and when it’s time to forecheck you’re changing your line. You never spend any time in their zone.''

Only 2 GA (discounting the EN), so there is that.  Coulda been a case of the jitters for the young "D".  But the #1 line were out-played.  Gotta show up tonight.  LGRW.

FINAL REGULAR SEASON RECORD:

DET:  48 GP,  24-16-8,  56 pts, (7 in Conf, 3 in Central), 124 GF, 115 GA, Last 10 5-2-3,  WON 4

ANA:  48 GP,  30-12-6,  66 pts, (2 in Conf, 1 in Pacific), 140 GF, 118 GA,  Last 10 5-4-1, LOST 1

DET Road:  11-9-4 (10)

ANA Home:  16-7-1 (7)

REGULAR SEASON TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.583 point% (14), 2.54 G/G (20), 2.29 GA/G (5), 1.10 5-5 F/A (7), 18.4 PP% (15), 81.7 PK% (12), 30.1 S/G (10), 27.5 SA/G (7), 50.8 FO% (10)

ANA:  0.688 point% (3), 2.79 G/G (8), 2.40 GA/G (11), 1.28 5-5 F/A (5), 21.5 PP% (4), 81.5 PK% (13) 28.1 S/G (21), 27.9 SA/G (9), 47.5 FO% (26)

Goal Differential/Game:

DET = +0.25

ANA =  +0.39

PLAYOFF TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.00 point% (9), 1.00 G/G (7), 3.00 GA/G (13), 1.00 5-5 F/A (4), 25.0 PP% (6), 50.0 PK% (11), 22.0 S/G (11), 27.0 SA/G (9), 51.8 FO% (4)

ANA:  1.00 point% (1), 3.00 G/G (3), 1.00 GA/G (6), 0.00 5-5 F/A (10), 50.0 PP% (1), 75.0 PK% (11) 27.0 S/G (7), 22.0 SA/G (6), 48.2 FO% (9)

PLAYOFF PLAYER STATS:

C Andrew Cogliano 1 0 0 0 0  16:48
C Kyle Palmieri 1 0 0 0 0  10:27
R Emerson Etem 1 0 0 0 0  9:07

ANA Goalies:

Jonas Hiller 1,  1-0,  1.00,  0.955

THE HOCKEY NEWS - TOTT:

(No players listed for either team.  The players below are from end of regular season)

DET - HOT:

Helm, Darren  Back injury  injured reserve
Miller, Drew  Broken right hand  remainder of the regular season
Samuelsson, Mikael  Pectoral Injuries  sidelined indefinitely

ANA:

Sbisa, Luca  Lower body injury  day-to-day

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The diggers hint that there may be a serial killer sighting tonight:  After the Red Wings' off-ice workout, coach Mike Babcock said he hadn't decided on potential lineup changes for Game.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

dougie's avatar

But the #1 line were out-played.

That is all you need to know about how this series resolves itself.

Posted by dougie on 05/02/13 at 07:08 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Tonight’s the real litmus test.  If DET looks offensively flat like they did in Game 1, I can’t see it going more than 5 games.

However if DET looks much better in the offensive end (even if they don’t win) we may have ourselves a series.

Too bad a lot won’t get to see past the first period or so.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/13 at 07:33 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Okie.

I think the Wings showed up.  And worked hard.  They simply got outplayed.  And yes, the mistakes on D could have been young guys just getting introduced to playoff hockey.  So… the Wings just have to work harder and play smarter.  They need to be the team they were in that magical last week of the regular “season.”

I don’t like the idea of inserting Bert.  Could he really be ready to skate hard for an entire game?  I say leave the lines alone.  They have good chemistry going.

Jimmah needs to be a shut down dong.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/02/13 at 07:41 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Bingo. Transition game and time in the ANA end will tell if we’re going to give them a run this series or not.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/02/13 at 07:49 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Helene St. James does not think there will be any line-up changes for tonights tilt.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/02/13 at 08:11 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/02/13 at 08:33 AM ET

They’ve been offensively flat all year. I don’t really see that changing in the playoffs of all places.

Basically, Howard and the D has to win this game and this series for them. Giving up anything more than 2 goals a game going forward is probably going to mean a loss.

Howard has to have his best game of the year tonight. He needs to pitch a shutout or only give up a goal. Time for him to start making a name for himself in the playoffs.

If the Ducks score 3, we’re going home 0-2.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/02/13 at 08:21 AM ET

bdos's avatar

Well, I’m hoping for a little more offense tonight. Let’s see if the $5 million dollar man shows up. I’d also like to see the serial killer back, but who knows what Babs is gonna do.
So I’m going to be late for the live blog, due to band practice, so if someone wants to dig up the HD stream, they post it in the gameday thread over at Reddit.
I should be back by the second period.

Posted by bdos from Columbus, OH on 05/02/13 at 08:24 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Basically, Howard and the D has to win this game and this series for them.

DET could help themselves immeasurably, on this point, by playing at least some of the game 200 feet away from Howard.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/02/13 at 08:27 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, bdos, I may check that out tonight.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/02/13 at 08:38 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Won’t be able to stay up to watch tonight’s game, got to be up early Friday. As such, I will be a bundle of nerves tomorrow morning as I turn on the radio for the sports. If the sports guy says That What Must Not Be Said, vomit will hurl profusely into the toilet.

We cannot go down two games, we are not a team made to accomplish such a thing.

Win. Tonight.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/02/13 at 08:47 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Basically, Howard and the D has to win this game and this series for them.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 22 on 05/02/13 at 09:27

Both are valid points, but, we need more offense. The fact is, goals win games, and we need to produce.

Thanks OKie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/02/13 at 08:48 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I wouldn’t count out the Wings if they lose tonight.  next two games are in Detroit…and that gives Babbles the last change.  that seems to always make an enormous difference in the playoffs…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 08:52 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

When I say “the D”, I’m including the forwards in that as well. I thought Detroit’s defensemen actually played pretty well in Game 1 (with the exception of a couple of Ericsson giveaways). It was their forwards who let the team down defensively, I thought.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/02/13 at 09:09 AM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

I read someone on another blog say “it’s not a playoff series until someone loses at home.” I’m hoping that “someone” is the Ducks tonight. GO RED WINGS!!!

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/02/13 at 09:11 AM ET

Primis's avatar

If the Ducks score 3, we’re going home 0-2.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/02/13 at 09:21 AM ET

Howard only gave up 2 in Game 1 and they still lost.

If you’re expecting it’ll take 1 GA or less, you can write the series off as a sweep right now.  That’s not realistic.  I’m not Eeyoring or anything, it’s just not a reasonable thing to expect of any team at all in the playoffs.

It’s not on the D and Howard.  It’s on the offense.  2 GA is acceptable from Jimmy and the blueline.  1 Goal For is not acceptable from the offense.  DET cannot win this or any series scoring only 1 goal a game.  Jimmy cannot win the series if the forwards won’t score.  He’s not going to put up 4 shutouts.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/13 at 09:21 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Biggest decision of the day: which jersey?

A blank road white. #19. #43. Thoughts?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/02/13 at 09:26 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Oops #19 and #43 are home reds.

Primis's avatar

Biggest decision of the day: which jersey?

A blank road white. #19. #43. Thoughts?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/02/13 at 10:26 AM ET

#firstworldproblems

Seriously though, my jersey decision comes down to “Wear, or not”, because there’s only one and since it’s a #11 lately I’ve been deciding a lot of “not”...

Posted by Primis on 05/02/13 at 09:38 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Okie, I haven’t said this in a while - thank you for the GDTs.  I rarely comment, but I always read them and your hard work is appreciated.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 05/02/13 at 09:39 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I know it ain’t finding a cure for cancer, but Primis, I’m going to the game. I have to represent. Even though he’s hurt, I’m thinking #43. Or the road white.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/02/13 at 09:49 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

It’s not on the D and Howard.  It’s on the offense.

I say both Primis.  The “D” played well enough insofar as GA is concerned.  But the 5 man unit as a whole spent entirely too much time just trying to get out of their own freaking end.

IMO, because the Ducks were way harder on the puck - - DET didn’t win nearly enough puck battles.  Play in the DET end reminded me a lot of their early season struggles.

That has to change, or this is going to be a short series.

Thanks Forlorn. Just doing my bit.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/02/13 at 09:49 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Thank Okie!

Last game is in the books. Seriously, you thought the Kids were gonna fly to the left Coast, start their first playoff game EVER at 10:30 PM and play like champions? Not to mention meybe the DuhUcks had a little axe to grind after the two game butt whupping last time and the hype for this matchup.  The Wings worked hard, stayed in the game and showed the DuhUcks they are for real. Tonight’s another opportunity, ripe for the picking.

Capt I got an e-mail from DuhUck high command.  Apparently some team named the Angels has a game starting at the same time. Traffic will be a mess.  Also, the “NHL Experience” is in town.  Maybe they will have a Jacketorium with Lil Gary hanging aboot! Let’s GO!

Creasemonkey…..I know your out there.  Far end near the Zamboni entrance.

and now…what to wear?  Cap’n…which shoes?!

Let’s go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 05/02/13 at 09:54 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Captain, I was going to suggest #43.  Good decision.  I want the team to do it for god.

Have fun tonight!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/02/13 at 09:56 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Or the road white.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/02/13 at 10:49 AM ET

I’m thinking the road white. It’s not the name on the back of the jersey that matters blah, blah, blah…......Whatever the quote is.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/02/13 at 10:20 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/02/13 at 10:21 AM ET

I agree with you. 2 GA from Jimmy is totally acceptable, but it’s probably not going to win them the series. So in that sense, it IS on the D and Howard. Doesn’t mean it’s fair. It’s the same point I was trying to make yesterday about the Selanne goal. Howard has to stop that shot. Doesn’t mean it was a bad goal or that he did anything wrong, but he has to. There is no other option, because the margin for error against a team that is better than you is zero.

I think Howard has been great this year (giving up on that goal in the CGY game notwithstanding) and the D has been better than anticipated. They’ve both been a helluva lot more consistent than the offense.

That’s what I mean when I say it’s on Howard and the D. Expecting the offense to magically start scoring, in the playoffs of all things, is probably not that reasonable at this point.

I don’t know. I hope I’m wrong. I just don’t see them blowing the Ducks out of the building in any of these games. There just simply aren’t a lot of goal scorers on this team.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/02/13 at 10:22 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

even though they scored 15 goals in the last 4 games of the regular season, and posted two shutouts?

the Wings can beat this team.  8th place, sure…but only what 6 points out of 4th place?  the West is tight this year.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 10:45 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

uhhhh that would be 7th place, of course grin

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 10:45 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

How many of the 48 games did we put up numbers like those? Not many…. the last 4 games were lightining in a bottle. We are offensively challenged in general. Those 4 games proved we are capable of it, but it’s not realisitic to expect this team to play/perform above its pay grade every game.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/02/13 at 10:48 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Oh goodie, Katella and the surrounding Del Tacos will be a traffic mess.

Ducks got physical and were banging us around pretty good in the second period.  The number of errant passes by our D out to the Ducks at center ice was disturbing, and must get fixed.

The Ducks were the better team much of the game but it is not something that can’t change.  Despite our sweep of them one weekend they are a very good team, largely matching the Blackhawks streak early in the year and coasting the second half.

When we did get the puck in their end they outnumbered us in front of their net.  To state coach’s challenge to a certain player or players last year’s playoffs, ” If you want to play in space you’ve got to create your own space, or go play in a different league.”  Did anyone notice Franzen much that game?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/02/13 at 10:56 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I didn’t think Game 1 was that bad.  Yes, we lost but all goals (not including the EN) were on special teams.  D could be better.  We need to be better exiting the D zone and get more shots on net.  Just pepper Hiller.  Everyone blocks shots these days and it seems like the Wings sometimes wait just a moment too long to shoot.  Just fire it at him and go to the net.

I think we will be stronger this game.

And CaptainD?  I second the road white.  I will wear my Fedorov road white tonight.

LGRW!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/02/13 at 10:58 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

then I shall wear my Datsyuk road white tonight!

over top of my Chelios road white!

with the A/C cranked grin

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 11:04 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, DuhUck hunting….whore style on 05/02/13 at 10:54 AM ET

I wouldn’t worry about the Angels. They’re in last place and not drawing well.

It’s still pre-Memorial day, so you can’t wear the white shoes. Red it is.

Meet up at the fan experience or at Schmid’s?

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/02/13 at 11:20 AM ET

I’m listening to Kate and going with the road whites. Though, I’m old enough to remember when they were the home whites. I feel old. Today is the last day of my 40’s. A Wings win would make my birthday.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/02/13 at 11:13 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I’m old enough to remember when they were the home whites

I liked the home white better.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/02/13 at 11:21 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Today is the last day of my 40’s. A Wings win would make my birthday.

Happy Birthday!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 05/02/13 at 11:29 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Today is the last day of my 40’s. A Wings win would make my birthday.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/02/13 at 12:13 PM ET

Happy Birthday, Captain - - and LGRW.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/02/13 at 11:35 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

OK, road white it is!  I’ll wear my #96 road white!

And happy end of the 40’s, Captain!  It’s all uphill from now on!  (At least it has been for me.)

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/02/13 at 11:37 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Wonder if DeKeyser is going to log some time on PP1 tonight?

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 05/02/13 at 11:54 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Wonder if DeKeyser is going to log some time on PP1 tonight?

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 05/02/13 at 12:54 PM ET

I wouldn’t mind…

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/02/13 at 11:57 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Heck I must be really old.  I can remember when they were road whites before they were home whites before they became road whites again.

History lesson kiddies—road whites is actually a real old school, original six thang.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/02/13 at 12:06 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/02/13 at 01:06 PM ET

Old fart!!

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/02/13 at 12:09 PM ET

1 2 3 >       Next »