Abel to Yzerman

Checking In And Up On The 19

The 19, AKA Wings fans here at A2Y, haven't had much to talk or cheer about since the last Detroit game was in mid-March.

Just wanted to make sure all of you are doing okay or at least keeping your head above water like I am.

Hopefully our game will be back as we know it but I have a feeling we still have another 4-5 months of what will tomorrow bring.

Check in to say hi, gives us an update or just say Go Wings.  You are missed.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Wings have loaned goaltender Filip Larsson to Almtuna (Swe-2).

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/02/20 at 11:52 AM ET

Cap'n Bill's avatar

Still here, still watching hockey, rooting for and against the appropriate teams (yay, Bolts!).  Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Posted by Cap'n Bill from The Treachery of Hockey on 09/02/20 at 12:30 PM ET

BrendonTO's avatar

Been a long time since I’ve commented regularly but still around, still over the moon that Stevie is back, still hopeful next year will produce some watchable Wings hockey. Thanks for keeping us gathered Paul, all the best.

Posted by BrendonTO on 09/02/20 at 12:40 PM ET

Happy to report that a lot of businesses here in Vegas are open…especially the restaurants as they have implemented some outstanding social distancing protocols and sterilizing procedures.  The bars, however (even the ones in the casinos), are shutdown still.  The majority of this town are fully cognizant of the Wuhan virus protocols and are truly cooperating with State precautions.  Churches are open for services and Masses.  It feels slower, obviously, but I think it’s a step in the right direction…however frustrating it is.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 09/02/20 at 01:33 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

In the middle of all this covid crap I managed to move out of the shitty of Chicago and into Indiana.  Life is good here.  People are genuine, I don’t have to be concerned with being shot or robbed outside my house, and you have more freedom.

I’ve been spending a lot more time outside at the new place and put a TV in my garage so I can watch these games while I tinker out there.  Still have to hang my Wings banners in the garage but it’s a work in process.

Enjoying the current hockey but looking forward to seeing the red and white jerseys back on the ice at some point.  Things have been going too well for me lately so it’d only be fitting to have something to be angry about wink

Posted by TreKronor on 09/02/20 at 02:58 PM ET

Hanging in like everybody.

It’s weird to have decamped from NYC a year ahead of and
not at all in connection to the pandemic or spike in crime and chaos,
but to look back and talk to friends and feel this ambivalent mix of
missing everything unique and wonderful about that place - and like
the place I left has been partly lost or disappeared in that short time.
Good timing having a car again and not having to rely on mass transit
(though not needing more than a train and my feet was a great life, too)

Here’s a funny slice of working class NYC life. I love this man’s attitude.

I’m in walking distance from Blue Jackets games whenever non-bubble hockey resumes, so still a city person for now.

Stay safe, be well everybody.

Posted by lefty.30 on 09/02/20 at 03:39 PM ET

Happy to hear you’re hanging in there Paul. I’ve been super busy in this Covid controlled world. We bought some land on a lake here in Florida. The wife and I were gonna build on it but Covid basically fuct that up. We were planning to build a steel building for the house. Covid pushed the manufacturing date for it til mid next year. We though, don’t have the patience like the guns ‘n roses song has suggested to have a little bit of. Anyway, we ended up finding us a mobile home for a unbelievable price. So we bought it and had it delivered. Since then I have been super busy running electric to our house, well and sheds. Ran the Water lines and our septic poop lines to the house and she’s. I built a 10x14 patio deck yesterday and Installed some French doors for the lake view. Today we got the approval from the building department to move in. Now we wait for the power company to put a meter in and turn on some power. So Life has been very very busy but really good so no complaints. I though, sure am missing some Red Wings hockey. Thankfully, this years playoffs have been really exciting for me, so it’s helping time go by till we get some Wings games again.  Glad to hear everyone hear are doing good too. Hopefully we can get life back to normal soon in this country.

Posted by benzanato on 09/02/20 at 04:22 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

I’m still here too, and happy to report that I’ve stopped drunk dialing the front office at 3:00 every morning and begging them to come back to me.

Well…mostly stopped.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 09/02/20 at 04:22 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Hey Paul! Hey y’all! It’s great to see some old timers here.Still managing to stay outta trouble, but, being a Detroit girl, I don’t know how long that will last.

Thanks for everything you do every day, Paul. Hockey is helping to keep the cobwebs from accumulating inside my head. Hang in there 19, and, all my very best to all of you….. wink

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 09/02/20 at 06:12 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Good point Kate. PK, thanks for manning the site and keeping it active during slow times. I’m sure it had/has to be challenging at times but really appreciate it.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/02/20 at 07:30 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Howdy 19. Been lurking aboot here and really appreciate all you do here Paul. Got a new job doin the same thing, recovering patients from surgery. Much smaller hospital without the really sick patients and all the drama that goes with that. Missing all the 19 and the juvenile banter that goes on.
Hope you all are well. Be safe over the upcoming holiday weekend. LGRW

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 09/02/20 at 08:52 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

You made the right move. LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 09/02/20 at 10:24 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

About the time hockey was suspended, I was supposed to have a pacemaker implanted. But COVID-19 delayed that until June 1st (thanks, China). Then it got delayed again until June 15th (thanks, Gretchen).

Four days before the procedure, my VA referral ran out so it got delayed until late August. On July 4th, my heart stopped long enough to cause me to black out. And when I came to, I discovered I had a broken collar bone.

Finally got the pacemaker on July 27th and life is good again. With all of the other crap going on in the world, especially in the big cities, I feel fortunate to live in a quiet part of G.R. surrounded by great neighbors.

The only thing missing right now is Red Wings hockey. But the reality is I’ll probably start bitching about Blashill as soon as the season starts. At least it’s something to look forward to.

Thanks, Paul, for reminding us every day that hockey still exists.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/03/20 at 12:24 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Anseo, Paul.  Still here watching the world slow down, but I’ve seen worse vistas, so I’ll enjoy what I can of this one.  Thanks for keeping the lights on here.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 09/03/20 at 06:22 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Howdy bitches! Not much has changed for me, I’ve been going to work every day since the world went sideways.. going to stores and restaurants is a bit different but that’s much the same everywhere. It was a nice change of pace to spend 10 days near Douglas WY last month, safe to say the pandemic and craziness of the world was not missed for those 10 days.
Great to see some familiar old faces checking in here.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 09/03/20 at 10:56 AM ET

Still floating around here and I’m grateful I have some hockey and hockey news to keep me occupied. My life hasn’t been affected much by Covid (other than probably contracting it in early March likely at a Predators game). I’ve been going into work everyday. Ironically my wife and I decided earlier that 2020 would be a light travel year so we could save for a big future vacation (New Zealand and Australia) but now that trip is delayed at least a year and I’m eager to get away. Spare time is now focused on making music and planning for move/retirement.

I’m anxious for more Wings news/play but anticipate it’s going to be another difficult season. I am more than a bit worried how the situation could impact prospect development.

Thanks Paul for all the great work.

Posted by evileye on 09/03/20 at 11:41 AM ET

OTC, here’s to your health.  Slainte.

MO, how’s the little dude?  He’s still hunting with you and playing baseball?

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 09/03/20 at 12:44 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Thanks, SYF. At my age, I’m glad I can still enjoy whatever life has to bring. Hell, in my late teens, I was absolutely certain I’d be dead by the time I reached “old age” – which at the time I considered to be 39.  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/04/20 at 12:42 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I’ve barely been around on here since March.  I’ve peeked in every now and again, but for the most part haven’t had much time.  But when everything shut down my wife was sent home from her work, along with the kids sent home from school, and my own job suddenly involved very, very long hours… along with trying to finish the kids’ schooling from home until the year ended.  Then in July my wife’s work called her back just to then fire her, and things have then even been more intense and stressful.  People even right now today are still losing their jobs as consequences of all this.  It’s going to be an abysmal unemployment market for possibly years now.

Some people I know during all of this have had nothing but time on their hands, and I guess my experience has been the exact opposite, I’ve never been more overloaded and busy.  I feel like I missed out on a lot of family time and also a lot of the “projects” and things people have been doing to fill time.  I’ve just had my head down grinding, trying to survive.

Thankfully my wife just started a new job this week, the kids I guess are going back to school come Tuesday (though we’re really nervous about it and don’t like it), and my hours at my job have normalized somewhat (though not entirely),  So a sense of SOME normalcy is returning, although as the state of Michigan continues to open things back up including HS sports I get the feeling we’re going to be heading right back to another full shutdown shortly and I don’t know how I’ll mentally survive another stretch of this all.  Right now is supposed to be the start of the season where my job quiets and winds down a bit until spring, but given shutdowns and shortages it’s still not slowing and I don’t know when it ever will.

I miss griping about the Wings, and miss sports in general.  I basically don’t watch TV anymore period.  I just can’t get into the current Bubble tournament, it feels completely removed from reality and fake or surreal.  It’s like watching an AI vs AI game of NHL 20 or something.  It doesn’t feel like he actual, real thing.  Hopefully we can get through whatever this tourney is, get it done with, and somehow move on to an actual season with at least some of the normalcy returned to it.

Posted by Primis on 09/04/20 at 09:21 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

MO, how’s the little dude?  He’s still hunting with you and playing baseball?

Believe it or not, he just graduated high school! Time freaking flies to say the least. He still tags along some, but as with a lot of 18 year olds there’s other things that they gravitate towards. He should be playing JUCO baseball but this year of years kinda squashed that…...

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 09/04/20 at 12:25 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Hello y’all. Truly hope everyone is doing well. My wife and I are less fortunate as we lost everything during the hurricane thing that dropped a tornado on the house. But we are alive and things are going to get better. It’s just going to take a few months. Y’all enjoy the holiday weekend. My plans got trashed. I’ll continue working 13 hour days 7 days a week until it gets better here. Y’all take care.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 09/05/20 at 08:18 AM ET

Paul's avatar

That is a tough one RorSchach and thoughts are with you.

I can’t imagine having everything one day and all taken away the next.

But you are still able to write about it and you can look forward.  Day at a time, things will improve soon.

And here I am concerned about COVID for the 19 then this.

2020 leave us soon!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/05/20 at 08:45 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Thank you Paul. Very much appreciated. The carona is not to high on my book. So we will see how it all ends up.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 09/05/20 at 10:57 AM ET

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 09/05/20 at 08:18 AM ET

We’re thinking of y’all here in Vegas,RorSchach.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 09/05/20 at 12:58 PM ET

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 09/05/20 at 08:18 AM ET

So sorry to hear that Rorschach. We had damage to 2 houses from hurricane Michael. It’s been almost 2 years and we still aren’t done with the repairs on one of the houses. Thankfully there’s light at the end of every tunnel. My thoughts are with you and all those affected.

Posted by benzanato on 09/05/20 at 01:40 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

RorSach, your ordeal really put what’s important out there front and center. All the best to you and yours getting back to a semblance of normal. Godspeed to you.

Sincerely,
Kate

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 09/05/20 at 11:19 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Thank you to everyone for all the positive vibes. Just really sucks to have to do a complete rebuild. But I guess my wife will finally get that walk in closet she’s always wanted. Seriously though. It will get better with time. Lack of michigan football sucks too. So looks like I’ll enjoy the lions.. heh.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 09/06/20 at 03:07 PM ET