Abel to Yzerman

A Motivated Evgeny Svechnikov

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

... It’s coming back from that injury, having gone through the long, tedious rehabilitation, that’s pushing and motivating Svechnikov.

Hearing the doubters say that maybe Svechnkov will not be able to come all the way back, maybe will not ever be the same player again – that’s what stirring him.

“I just want to go out there and show my name,” Svechnikov said. “I’m Evgeny Svechnikov, I was drafted for a reason and I’m here for a reason. I want to be part of the future, and I want to do that for myself and the fans and for everybody.

“I’m looking forward to doing it.”

Svechnikov appeared to be headed toward fulfilling his goal of reaching the NHL full-time, showing why he was a first-round draft pick, last training camp.

Svechniko was one of the better Red Wings through camp and had two winning goals during the exhibition season before tearing his knee in a puck battle along the boards against Toronto.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

I honestly hope he turns out to be as good as he thinks he is.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 08/16/19 at 10:21 PM ET

It’s really hard not to like this kid because he seems so sincere
and to care so much - and his luck has been pretty terrible so far.

I hope he and the organization are prepared and understand
together that this injury is a long bumpy road to come back on
and it’s not good for him or the team to have him struggling/barely
playing in the NHL only a year after the injury itself.

It’s not a failure if he’s not physically and/or mentally ready for a regular
top-nine NHL role in October.

I’m afraid he wants to get back so badly that he’s putting an unfair,
unrealistic measurement on his shoulders of what success is.

Being waiver exempt one more season was a silver lining to such a bad injury.

How about earning a spot as a top-nine wing or even as a solid fourth liner trending up, by the last two months of the season, and cementing his spot in the lineup from there?

Posted by lefty.30 on 08/18/19 at 09:38 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Go get ‘em Evgeny.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 08/19/19 at 02:47 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by lefty.30 on 08/18/19 at 09:38 PM ET

I think most of us would like that a lot.  Unfortunately, you have guys like Abdelkader, Helm, Nielsen, Filpuula taking up spots as (quite frankly) deadweight, and then you have de la Rose and Ehn, and now (puzzling-ly enough) they added Erne to the mix even.

Unless Svehcnikov REALLY comes on strong, I’m not sure he’s going to make enough of a case to stick around because there’s just… no… room…

Posted by Primis on 08/19/19 at 08:48 AM ET

and now (puzzling-ly enough) they added Erne to the mix even.

yep. I fHolland made this signing he would have been roasted for adding another bottom 6 guy. Yzerman is exalted. I’m really scratching my head over that signing.

I wager Svech is going to get moved in December after grumbling in GR for the first half of the season.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 08/19/19 at 04:02 PM ET