Abel to Yzerman

A Mistake By Not Drafting Quinn Hughes?

I just paid $3.00 to read Ted Kulfan for 3 months then it is $9.99 per moth after that. (I'll decide then.)

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

Wings fans, or at least a growing segment of them watching these playoffs, are seeing it and not happy Hughes isn’t part of the Wings’ organization.

Certainly the Wings had plenty of chances to watch him as he played two seasons at Michigan and before that, two years at the Plymouth Township-based U.S. National Team Development Program.

In fact, Jeff Blashill coached Hughes at two men’s world championships (2018-19) and roomed Hughes with Dylan Larkin, where the two became friends.

Before the Wings faced Vancouver this season, Blashill spoke about Hughes' improvement and his passion for hockey.

“Some of the things that maybe he wasn’t great at throughout that season going into the draft, he had already shown improvement in. Like his shot, for example,” said Blashill. “When I watched him on the ice, I saw a guy that could shoot a puck and his technique was excellent. As his strength improved his shot was going to get way better.

more (paid subscription)

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

I am hoping the ‘subscriber only articles become more exclusive and not articles which are basically repeat and rinse.

There is no doubt in my mind both local papers are in financial crisis right now and I am not sure both will survive.

People want instant news, updated frequently and right now many print outlets are not providing that.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/21/20 at 07:40 PM ET

0neoftheWings's avatar

I was part of the small percentage of wings fans that actually wanted and decided that hughes should have been selected over zadina due to his ability to carry the play with confidence AND is ability to avoid physical contact and pressure when he had the puck.  I was picking him out of necessity for a puck carrying defenseman than anything, no knocking zadina.  drysdale is within our grasps and we need a guy that can see the ice and create opportunities for others

Posted by 0neoftheWings on 08/21/20 at 07:49 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

Hughes was my choice before Zadina fell to us.  I recall being absolutely elated when Zadina slipped to 6, although I was worried about passing on a top end d-man talent.  If memory serves though, weren’t the Wings brass really high on Evan Bouchard?  I suspect he’ll be a stud d-man at the NHL level, although perhaps not the electric player that Hughes is.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 08/21/20 at 08:03 PM ET

I understood why they took Zadina, but I was disappointed that they didn’t pick Hughes. I don’t doubt that Zadina will be a good player, but I thought a defenseman like Hughes would help the Wings more than a winger.

With that having been said, I initially wanted them to pick Drysdale if he was available at 4.  However, I was reading that the 2021 draft class is stacked with high end defensemen; some scouts expect five to go in the top ten. If the Wings management and scouts agree with that assessment, I think they should take the best forward available at 4, and go D with their first round pick next year.

Posted by MikeO on 08/21/20 at 08:51 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Hard to say on Hughes, but at the time Zadina seemed too good to pass on. I think the Red Wings will pick Drysdale as they have many holes on defense. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 08/21/20 at 10:33 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

$10/month seems really steep. There’s tons of things I would pay $10 for but that’s not one of them. Can’t imagine many subscribers at that rate.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/21/20 at 11:15 PM ET

calquake's avatar

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you read that? I’ be interested in reading that and, if true, completely agree with you.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 08/21/20 at 11:22 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

One last shot in the pills courtesy of Ken Holland.  Zadina may wind up being a decent forward but Quinn Hughes is going to be among the best players in the league for the next dozen years.

Posted by WingDingy on 08/22/20 at 12:52 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Jordan Binnington was incredible last year but has fallen to average this year. Maybe we give Hughes a few more years before we make any judgements.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/22/20 at 06:57 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

So this is what we’re going to talk about every 3 weeks for the rest of Hughes’ career?

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/22/20 at 10:00 AM ET

It’s easy to say we should’ve chosen Quinn Hughes afterwards. It is well known that Ken Holland was going to choose Evan Bouchard if Zadina didn’t drop to us. We we’re never getting Quinn Hughes! Stop procrastinating about Quinn Hughes. Yes, he’s clearly the better player at the moment. However, virtually everyone was excited when Zadina fell in Detroit’s lap. That you shouldn’t ever deny. We should be moving on from this debate. Detroit still has an excellent opportunity to draft possibly an even better defenseman than Quinn Hughes. Luke Hughes, the youngest brother of the Quinn family, who is expected to be the best player of the three. So stop your complaining and let’s move on from this silly debate, it’s really pointless any way you look at it! We we’re never getting Quinn Hughes anyways.

Posted by AdrenRush369 on 08/22/20 at 11:07 AM ET

AdrenRush369, you seem confused about the meaning of the word procrastinating.  You also seem to be confused about what the word virtually means.  if the discussion is so pointless, then why are you posting a comment?  Did you ride a shot bus to school?

Posted by MikeO on 08/22/20 at 01:28 PM ET

My apologies calquake, but I surf about a dozen different hockey sites any given day and can’t recall off the top of my head which site I read it on.  Which is part of the reason that I included the comment, “if the wings management and scouts agree with that assessment”, since I can’t speak to the source and it’s validity.

When I have time I will snake through my browser history to see where I read it, and I will let you know.

Posted by MikeO on 08/22/20 at 02:05 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

MikeO, I’ve certainly read the same in The Athletic (which is paywalled).

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 08/22/20 at 04:26 PM ET

Boy do I hate revisionist history. Ever single draft in the history of the NHL can be re-ordered and every organization made “mistakes”.

The only real errors are when a team makes a pick that pretty much everyone agrees, at the time was a reach and years later the player proves he wasn’t worthy of the pick.

This is simply not the case with Zadina vs Hughes. Almost every source thought it was a good pick for the Wings, at the time. I say we give it some time to see how it plays out.

What also goes unmentioned in these revisionist histories is how the change of picks could have affected the rest of the draft or future drafts. If the Wings had drafted Hughes, would they still have Seider? What if Seider is better than Hughes? Would the Wings still be drafting at #4 this season?

Posted by evileye on 08/24/20 at 10:24 AM ET

WingDingy's avatar

Revisionist history?  In my world, you draft according to need and if there was ever a team that needed blue line help in 2018, it was the Red Wings.  Try these names on for size: Green, Daley, Jensen, Ericsson, Dekeyser, Oulette, Hicketts, Lashoff and an all but used up Niklas Kronwall.  Sorry, but Hughes was the smart move then and the smart move now.

Posted by WingDingy on 08/24/20 at 06:23 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 08/22/20 at 06:57 AM ET

Bingo.  See what Hughes does for a few more years before any snap judgments.  And by that time, then we can also see what Zadina does, and judge accordingly.

I’m not convinced Q. Hughes in DET would necessarily be similar to what he’s done in VAN.

Posted by Primis on 08/26/20 at 01:33 PM ET