Abel to Yzerman

Sweet, Sweet Silence

I'm sure the Emperor was going to get to this soon, but I relish the opportunity to beat him to this particular punch.  I stayed up last night just in case I had the chance to witness, and listen to, this...

From Mark Kiszla, Denver Post.

There’s no sound sadder in pro sports than joy slowly hissing from a deflated crowd when the home team loses a playoff game in the oh-so-sudden death of overtime. After Golden Knights winger Mark Stone found nothing except open ice between him and Colorado goalie Philipp Grubauer and hammered the game-winning goal only 50 seconds into the extra period, it felt like a stake through the hearts of 10,495 spectators in Ball Arena.

Suck it, Dive fans.  Here's hoping it's one more game and done. Paul, I'm putting this one on A2Y instead of the main page as I used juvenile language.

More from an early but legitimate obituary.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Ha, I was going to give the members/readers a reprieve, I am waiting for the big one.

It is amazing how this columnist has changed in years.  Now I sort of miss the ramblings of Dater. “That’s one of the biggest gut-punch losses in Avs history.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/09/21 at 11:33 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I would not try to bury anything Captain until no pulse is not found. I would not be surprised if this goes to game 7. Its been a great series with some tight games.

Absolutely I am not pulling for the Avs since Mark Stone is one of my favorite players.  Don’t jinx this thing! Lol

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/09/21 at 12:13 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I can’t help it, DD. I tried, brother. I did. But the joy I feel reading that asshat rip that team after losing the way they did in front of THOSE “fans”...my willpower gave out.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/09/21 at 12:27 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Lol, I cannot blame you for that.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/09/21 at 12:31 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I had been rooting a bit for Colorado in this series, but saw fans in the arena last night with Nordique logo hats, and that’s just wrong….I can’t root for Vegas but am now rooting against the dive..

Posted by Down River Dan on 06/09/21 at 12:33 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Watching the VGK/COL series after watching the other series, it’s impressive how much more oomph those teams have been putting into their play vs the others.  I think whoever comes up against the winner of that series is gonna hit a surprise wall.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 06/09/21 at 01:38 PM ET

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 06/09/21 at 01:38 PM ET

Yup.  It’s like watching Foosball at the highest levels…or you’re really drunk and you’re not sure what’s going on and it’s still too fast to follow.  Even the camera work is dizzying.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/09/21 at 02:59 PM ET

Totally different players actually playing great offensive hockey, but still cannot root for them. Colorado still associated with Foote and Lemiex, Forsberg and Roy.
The only player I respected there was Sacic.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/09/21 at 03:07 PM ET

The only player I respected there was Sacic.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/09/21 at 03:07 PM ET

Ian Laperriere as well.  He’s the no-nut, crooked-nosed, Foote-wannabe who laid out a late cheap shot on Lidstrom.  He then met the nuclear-fisted assassin that is Aaron Downey twice in the same game.  He wasn’t the same after that game anytime the Wings played the Dives.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/09/21 at 03:22 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

This is from an Athletic article that interviewed Troy Strecher regarding his experience at the World Championship:

Q:. What was it like playing for Gerard Gallant and getting to play for him for a couple of weeks over in Europe?

He was awesome. He’s obviously going to be in the NHL next year and deservedly so.

He’s an unbelievable coach, very hard but very fair.

If you come to the bench and you’ve made a mistake, you’re going to hear it. As a player, you can accept it and we’re mature enough to take criticism. The thing is he wasn’t going to bury you on the bench afterwards. He was going to put you out again the next shift and he was going to give you an opportunity to redeem yourself.

I think sometimes — just talking to players around the league, some of my friends — you make a mistake and you feel like you’re done for the night. There was never that vibe with anybody. Maybe it’s that we had a young team and he wanted everyone to feel confident, but that’s how he managed the bench at the worlds. It was awesome to be a part of.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/09/21 at 04:37 PM ET

To win with this kind of team is an awesome accomplishment. Their fate depended on Norway-Kazakhstan and Latvia-Germany games, but in the playoffs Canada did great.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/09/21 at 04:44 PM ET