Abel to Yzerman

Quick Recap- Detroit/Nashville

Can I start with pitiful and then turn it over to you?  Wings lose 5-2.

Detroit goals are below.

One more thing, ESPN+ needs some help.  Cassie Cambll-Pascall is good, she know the game and expresses herself well.  Play by play man Bob Wischusen needs work and director does too.  Growing pains?

Stats

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Well, that was rough. Nashville is really good and we were not really competitive in this one losing all one on one battles and turning the puck over consistently. Hope Seider is OK, that’s the most important thing right now.

Posted by VPalmer on 12/07/21 at 09:47 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Same here on Seider. Out muscled tonight. shock

Posted by bigfrog on 12/07/21 at 10:03 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

Cassie might be good but she blame Hronek on the second Nash goal..well Leddy should take part of the blame for letting Josi going in untouched. Lazy…when you see your partner facing a top player like Josi ..you help him…don’t watch…act !

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 12/07/21 at 10:32 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I agree that ESPN is struggling out of the gate, but I thought Cassie just rambled on all night and wasn’t very good either.  The studio show with Weekes is pretty rough too.

Posted by Hootinani on 12/07/21 at 10:48 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The problem with Weekes in the ESPN studio is he becomes and ESPN guy, not a hockey guy.  I watch him for his hockey knowledge, not the second coming of the late Stuart Scott.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/07/21 at 10:56 PM ET

Nashville was very impressive- they’re suffocating checkers, much like Sutter’s Flames, who overwhelmed us too. It’s all part of the education the team has to endure/ experience.

Posted by pnwwing on 12/07/21 at 11:46 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Cassie Cambll-Pascall is good, she know the game and expresses herself well.

Well, myself and three of the four folks I sent a link to for the game heartily disagree. None of them could listen for more than a period. I guess it’s a “guy” thing, but her voice is beyond irritating to me. So when the Wings are on ESPN+, I’ll know to plan on doing something else.

Bummer about Seider. That definitely was a shoulder-to-the-jaw hit.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/08/21 at 12:33 AM ET

Is this a new ESPN thing especially where
we’re all supposed be impressed that virtually every time there
there is a fight, there is a woman telling us all about what the participants
of the fight are thinking?

It’s one thing for Campbell to pause at look at the video and
describe what was pretty obvious: Kunin gave Rowney a bump,
Rowney pushed back, etc.

But it’s such a cringefest to have to listen to her try
to narrate their thoughts:

Harper: he’s one of our good skilled guys so I’m going to come in and take care of that guy

The average 3rd grade girl or boy could do better.
This person is being featured in the best hockey league in the world
to offer her special ability to provide informed observations and insights.

I was going to wince and let it go.

Then, after Renouf challenged Jeanot toward the end of the game,
all she could think of was “well he was called up and he wants to send a message that he belongs on the team and they’re down two goals”. That’s it. That’s all a ESPN big league commentator can think of. I was sure she was going to say: send a message after the high hit on Seider. Nope. Send a message that he wants to stay n the NHL and the Wings are down two.

The 3rd grade girl and boy and shaking their heads and waving their arms in disbelief: no, the hit on Seider…where Seider was injured…that’s what Renouf was responding to.

Sorry but I’m going to respect people as much their ability demonstrates.
You want a job as a big league commentator? Expect to be held to high standards.
She did not get the job because of her ability or knowledge.

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/08/21 at 12:52 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/08/21 at 12:52 AM ET

I’ve lived in the Columbus area my whole life and listened to the same, day one, crap commentating from the CBJ media complex most of my life.  They think hockey fights happen to “set the tone” or “create some momentum” or “get the crowd going.”  Never do they assume it must have something to do with what is actually happening on the ice.  Its just not grown up analysis.  If you’re Dan Renouf, I really doubt you’re thinking, “If I just start a staged fight with this guy and get the crowd going, my team is going to explode with three goals in the next ten minutes.”

It sucks because ESPN has enough institutional memory to know how to call a good hockey game.  Gary Thorne was on record saying he’d come back.  That would have been a huge get vis a vis fans who grew up hearing him call games.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 12/08/21 at 09:29 AM ET