Abel to Yzerman

Defensemen At The Top Of The Draft

from TSN,

This year’s prospect class is shaping up to be a boon for teams looking for blueline help, with defencemen holding down the top four spots on the latest edition of TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button’s rankings ahead of the 2021 NHL Draft, scheduled for July 23.

Owen Power, the towering 6-foot-5-1/2, 213-pound Michigan Wolverines defenceman, is Button’s top prospect available after scoring three goals and 16 points in 26 games at the NCAA level. And his talents will be showcased again later this month as he'll play for Team Canada at the IIHF Men's World Hockey Championship in Latvia.

“Power’s combination of skills is unique,” Button said of the left-shot defenceman. “He’s got superb hockey sense, very good skill and superior size.”

Barrie Colts defenceman Brandt Clarke, who spent this season with HC Nove Zamky in the top Slovakian professional league while the Ontario Hockey League was on pause during the pandemic, comes in second in Button’s rankings.

Clarke, a right-shot defenceman who is 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds, helped Canada win gold at the under-18 men's hockey championship in Frisco, Texas with two goals and seven points in seven games.

“Clarke brings a skill set that includes creativity, boldness and confidence,” Button said. “His game combines elements of Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns.”

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

I think because no dominate forwards rather than because there exceptional D.  From reports Ive followed theres a lot of disagreement on Fs.

Posted by ThatGuy on 05/12/21 at 11:22 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Regner and HSJ talking now on The Word on Woodward, Regner says exit interviews are ongoing.  He assumes Blashill is in on these and expects Blashill to return.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/12/21 at 12:32 PM ET

expects Blashill to return.

I hope the fan base can survive this:)

Posted by VPalmer on 05/12/21 at 12:43 PM ET

He assumes Blashill is in on these and expects Blashill to return.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/12/21 at 12:32 PM ET

and i would assume he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, like HSJ, Khan and Ted, but we all know what happens when you assume, and i wouldn’t want to do that

Posted by MZ2215 on 05/12/21 at 01:04 PM ET

I hope the fan base can survive this:)

Posted by VPalmer on 05/12/21 at 12:43 PM ET

You should hope that Red Wings can survive couple more years of below mediocrity coach.

Posted by wings8 on 05/12/21 at 01:30 PM ET

I just think Yzerman knows a little more about what’s needed for the team than we do.

Posted by VPalmer on 05/12/21 at 01:38 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

You would think so? LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 05/12/21 at 02:38 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I see Button has Wallstedt ranked at #9, and that may very well be about where the Wings end up picking after they get screwed (as usual) in the lottery. The question is, would Yzerman use his first-rounder on a goalie?

If not, Button has Cossa ranked at #19 (how prophetic). So maybe Stevie could add a second-rounder to the Caps first-rounder and move up far enough to take the second-best goalie prospect in this draft.

Regner says exit interviews are ongoing. He assumes Blashill is in on these and expects Blashill to return.

Woke up this morning to the power being off for four hours (thanks, Consumers). Then a deal for a used car I was working on fell through. And now this. This day sucks.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/12/21 at 03:03 PM ET

OlderThanChelios

I was thinking the same. Wings need a goalie in this draft so he can be ready in 3-5 years. I also like Autu Raty as a late 1st rounder, last year he was projected as the number one overall, but he’s dipped.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 05/12/21 at 03:46 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I hope the fan base can survive this:)
Posted by VPalmer on 05/12/21 at 12:43 PM ET

I’m wondering how the fans would walk the line of crying about how bad that would be, without criticizing Yzerman himself.

A great GM doesn’t stick with a bad coach, one that can not structure, can not coach, motivate develop, etc. etc. etc. the old DRW fanbase narrative.  But if Yzerman bring him back, especially this year when his contract is up, well then Yzerman’s assessment is just the opposite.

Interesting conundrum for the fans here, either…

Yzerman is not a great GM because the fans know better and this coach sucks

-or-

Yzerman is a great GM, the fans know nothing as it turns out and should shove some Caesars pie in their hole.

This is truly popcorn worthy, might be the most riveting thing all season sans the Mantha/Vrana trade.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/12/21 at 04:39 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/12/21 at 03:03 PM ET

Yzerman can and should trust the European scouts, especially in Sweden, and if they’ve got him pegged I could see it for sure considering we have another 1st and plenty of 2nds. Like you said, it is the true organizational position of need, but man, its a hard position to draft.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/12/21 at 04:42 PM ET

Is everyone assuming Keith Petruzelli will not be NHL caliber? He was in the running for the Hobey Baker award this year, 1.89 GAA .926 Sv %. Senior at Quinnipiac out East. Stats improved each year in college. Seems like he at least should get a look at Grand Rapids in the fall. Don’t really know anything else about him, other than he is a huge guy at like 6’ 5”

Posted by exor54 on 05/12/21 at 05:10 PM ET

Yes, but you would think at least somebody in Detroit media would mention something about Petruzelli and his potential. All I hear from the media that we don’t have a goalie of the future in the system.

Posted by VPalmer on 05/12/21 at 05:14 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Is everyone assuming Keith Petruzelli will not be NHL caliber?

Not at all. But he isn’t signed yet and after August is able to sign anywhere so it isn’t guaranteed he is playing in Detroit. Everyone hopes he signs and comes to Detroit and plays great.

Yzerman isn’t above making mistakes. I don’t worship the guy. Do I have more confidence in Steve than I did in Kenny. Yes. Has he done a good job so far: Yes. Will I criticize him if I think he is making or made a mistake: Yes

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 05/12/21 at 06:07 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Is everyone assuming Keith Petruzelli will not be NHL caliber?

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo

This. It’s the problem with prospects “ripening” in college. If they do ripen, and they stay the full four years, they can just say “No thanks” and they’re a UFA. Since we don’t hear much talk about him, maybe he’s already let the Wings know he’s not signing with Detroit.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/12/21 at 07:19 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 05/12/21 at 03:46 PM ET

The draft sites I looked at had him betweem #12 and #18, so I don’t think he’ll be around when the Wings use the Caps’ pick.

And honestly, I don’t get his value. I can only go by his stats and he was 2-2-4 in 12 games last year and worse at 3-3-6 in 35 games this year. What am I missing, Jdunc?

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/12/21 at 07:26 PM ET

Petruzelli…man, I hope this is just the front office keeping
things tightly zipped as usual and it’s a deal thats waiting for immediate postseason
housekeeping. You read it might be an underrated pick.
Read about the kid struggling and then gradually getting better and better..,
you get invested.

Especially since we’re so hurting for a legit prospect.
That’s leverage for him but you’d think the clear pipeline ahead of
him and glowing rep SY has wouldn’t hurt.

Brattstrom? Larsson? Eliasson? Bednar? Anybody?

Posted by lefty.30 on 05/12/21 at 10:06 PM ET

OlderThanChelios

Basically Aatu Raty was incredible against his own age group, but struggled greatly adjusting to men’s leagues. That’s why he’s dropped, it isn’t to say though that he isn’t learning and adapting. I’d liken him to Podkolzin who dropped his draft year, but given more time to develop looks like a future star for Vancouver. He still has enough skill and raw talent that he should land within the first round.

Might be a late round steal, might be a bust, but you can say that about any single prospect in this draft. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still keeping my fingers crossed we nab the 1st overall pick and select Owen Power to pair with Seider.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 05/13/21 at 08:26 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Back to the top, a kid not even drafted yet playing for Team Canada at the MEN’S World Championship is very special.  It’s Canada, not Slovenia or Austria.  That’s quite an accomplishment, probably also smart of Canada to start grooming future core members for their international competitions.  If Canada thinks that highly of Owen Power that’s probably another indication he’s the #1 rated prospect.

Posted by RWBill on 05/13/21 at 09:40 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 05/12/21 at 01:38 PM ET

You would think so? LOL
Posted by bigfrog on 05/12/21 at 02:38 PM ET

You would think so.  Many fans thought that the first thing Yzerman would do was to replace Blashill.  Well here we are.  I’m sort of non-plused about the decision given the state of the team.

Happy Top Gun Day, everyone.  Slider, You Stink!

Posted by RWBill on 05/13/21 at 09:43 AM ET

I don’t think you can put too much stock in what Petruzzelli did this season which makes it harder to get an idea of what you have in him.  Better than half of the ECAC didn’t play this year so QU was playing Colgate, Clarkson, and St. Lawrence multiple times…not exactly a tough schedule.  Not his fault either.  I’ve seen him play a few times (not this year) and he’s going to need some time to develop…but I think we all know that.

Posted by Them Bones on 05/13/21 at 10:52 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 05/13/21 at 08:26 AM ET

Thanks for the info, Jdunc. This is definitely going to be an interesting draft (and by “interesting” I mean an almost total crap shoot).

The only thing we know for sure is that the Wings are going to get screwed in the lottery.  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/13/21 at 11:38 AM ET