Abel to Yzerman

The Morning Skate

The only report this morning are Gemel and Givani Smith are skating.

If more becomes available, I will post it here.

added 11:41am, Below find Jeff Blashill and the Smith brothers after the skate.

Jeff Blashill

Smith brothers

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Carley Johnston tweet,

Gemel Smith on joining the Wings, “I’m excited to be here… Growing up, Detroit Red Wings has always been my favorite team. So to get to be here with him (Givani), no better feeling.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/21/22 at 12:34 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Gemel Smith awoke from his pregame nap on Wednesday to see a tweet with an octopus emoji and several missed texts.

That is how he learned the Detroit Red Wings claimed him off waivers from the Tampa Bay Lightning, and he would be joining his younger brother, Givani.

“I clicked it and I saw it and I didn’t believe it at first,” Gemel said. “It was a dream come true for me. I’m excited to play with him, alongside him. It’s an opportunity that doesn’t come by that often.”

It sure doesn’t. Frank and Pete Mahovlich were the last brothers to play in a game for the Red Wings, on March 30, 1969, during a 9-5 loss to Chicago. Bryan and Dennis Hextall played for the 1975-76 Red Wings, but neither was on the roster at the same time.

Gemel, who will wear No. 64, took part in the morning skate, but Red Wings coach Jeff Blashill declined to reveal if he will be in the lineup tonight against Dallas at Little Caesars Arena (7:30, Bally Sports Detroit). Blashill said everyone who played the previous game, Monday’s 3-2 overtime win in Buffalo, is available.

“When he does get in the lineup, whenever that is, what he’s shown in the National Hockey League so far is he can be a good energy player,” Blashill said. “He gives us good depth at (center). We just need guys that are accountable, can give you energy, can change momentum without having to need lots of minutes. I think he’s a guy who can provide that.”

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/21/22 at 02:27 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Huh, I was under the impression that Gemel was a ways off from actually playing in a game. Or at least would be very likely to go to GR for conditioning for a bit. He can do a conditioning stint without messing with the waiver pickup, right?

Posted by Steeb on 01/21/22 at 02:48 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Looks like a beef up for tonight’s game, may work out.  Who is scratched?

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/21/22 at 04:29 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Luke Glendening has gotten used to seeing more green, but seeing red still makes his heart swell.

The former Detroit Red Wings forward and alternate captain had lots of ticket requests ahead of his Friday appearance at Little Caesars Arena. He already had faced the Wings earlier in the season, but that was in Dallas.

Playing in Detroit was much harder because it was home for eight seasons before leaving as a free agent last summer.

“It was definitely hard to say goodbye,” Glendening said Friday. “I made a ton of friends that will be friends for a lifetime in Detroit. It’s been a great experience in Dallas, but it’s always hard to say goodbye to a team and an organization that’s been so good to me. They always took care of me. I have so much respect for the organization. But it’s been a neat opportunity and been fun to be in Dallas.”

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/21/22 at 05:10 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Calvin Pickard recalled from the tax squad.  No more info at this time.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/21/22 at 05:32 PM ET