Abel to Yzerman

Kenny, You Conditionally Failed Today

The Helm signing was ridiculous. In every way, viewing it from any angle you'd like.

The Neilsen deal was pre-ordained. If you've read anything for three days, you knew it was coming. It's pure Holland: 32 year old. 6 years. 30 million.

And then it got weird, even for Holland standards.

Tomas Vanek, dumped by Mankado and most likely well past his prime, for a year. Relatively cheap and an ok risk.

Rewind: Matt Lorito was actually the first signing of the day, and I don't mind it. 26 years old. Rave reviews. Angst in Jersey for letting him slip away. Sounds good. Two way contract. Depth in GR or a surprise in Detroit.

Steve Ott.

Steve. Ott.  That's a signing a team makes when it feels it's right on the cusp of a serious run.

I happen to like Ott. Just like I'd have liked Doan, years ago. Just like I'd have liked Brouwer, or Martin.  Yeah, I hated him. But we were supposed to. He's that kind of guy. Now he's our kind of guy.  I do not mind him on our roster. I mind that Ken Holland is operating like it's 2002, and like he's got a blue line stacked with talent. He doesn't. At all.

As  you've pointed out, there will be casualties, and that was even before the Ott signing.  Youth will, once again, be "ripened."  AA, Mantha, your boy Pulky, Jurco. Somebody's losing minutes, or worse, a spot on the roster.

Unless there's a plan.

In fact, there has to be.  You have to think Holland is working a deal that brings us Fowler.  Shattenkirk has, apparently, submitted a four-team list of those he would extend his contract for.  Do you really think, based on the last few years, Detroit is on that list? No.

It's Fowler.

Because we are overloaded, bursting with forwards.

Back to Vanek and Neilsen.  Bill Waters was on NHL Radio about an hour ago. He said he believes those two will be "magic" for the Wings.  He believes they'll play together and really produce.

We'll see.

If the Wings had a decent blue line, today would be considered positive. It would be the aggressive kind of day we've wanted, although it reeks of post-Stamkos desperation.  The offense is more potent. That's undeniable. But the holes on defense are just gaping.

Forward after forward. Kenny kept signing them.  Four in total.  No defensemen, and that's ok...on the surface...because there wasn't much from the UFA crop to choose from.  But to sign that number of forwards, hamstringing the progress and playing time of some talented youngsters. It stinks like Holland.

Unless there's a plan.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, Kenny. Because I can't believe you don't have something working. I just can't believe this day went down the way it did without a trade to follow shortly (before October).

Tick Tock.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

I get Nielsen, though the term is stupid.
And I get Vanek, low risk, medium reward.
And Ott?  Sure, if the Wings are on the cusp of something, but now?  No.
But Helm.  *#$%@& Helm.  What a horrendous deal, absolutely awful.  And Holland’s justification?  Speed means nothing when YOU CANT FINISH!  Also, Helm wasn’t coming from somewhere else, the Wings have had him for his entire career.  We know exactly what he is and vastly, vastly, vastly overpaying him isn’t going to make him better.

Without the Helm signing Holland gets maybe a C, but with the Helm signing it’s a solid F.

Posted by Garth on 07/01/16 at 06:49 PM ET

Oh and Anthony Mantha?  If you’re reading this then I look forward to seeing play for Detroit again in 2017.

Posted by Garth on 07/01/16 at 06:50 PM ET

lakeside mall's avatar

hollands been lost ever since bowman left and is throwing away very important future redwings cap space , too dense to realize how important it is . ilitch has to depower this guy

only defense he could have is the knowledge that 3 years down the road the ceilings going to be so much higher that these long term contracts today wont matter , so for now its defend the streak with best roster possible . and being that no sane man wants to bring his family to psycho biscuit city to dodge bullets and rapists i can understand why holland isnt able to sign the better players , nielsen n helm might have been his best two center options

Posted by lakeside mall on 07/01/16 at 07:10 PM ET

Alan's avatar

The summer isn’t over yet, boys. I know, I’m bothered by the Helm re-signing most of all, unless he absolutely surprises us all and learns how to finish this summer, that’s gonna be the dumbest move of all.

There simply has to be something else coming. Are we trading a couple of players who just haven’t panned out for help on D? That much is entirely possible.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/01/16 at 07:12 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 07/01/16 at 06:50 PM ET

And that is the worst part about today.  AA and Mantha will now be stuck in GR for another year.  If not them, then we lose Jurco and/or Pulkkinen.

And no doubt this rubs all the prospects working their asses off in GR the wrong way.  Because Holland couldn’t free up space on the back end two years ago, Babcock couldn’t get the D-man he wanted and Ouellet had to be sent back to GR.  Two years later and no areas have been addressed on the back end, with a solid logjam and maybe one spot opening up for Jensen, Sproul and Ouellet to fight over, and now a logjam at forward even worse than last year.

And I know what all the Holland apologist will say.  HE’S WORKING ON A DEAL TO BRING IN A TOP PAIR D-MAN!!!  THAT’S WHY HE NEEDS ALL THESE “ASSETS”!  To that I say…...............HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!  Don’t you know!??!  Trades are hard!!!!!!

Posted by Wise1 on 07/01/16 at 07:17 PM ET

LOL. I’m not gonna say these deals were all good or anything but can you sound more pretentious? Ken Holland you failed! As I write it in a blog he’ll never read and you’d never have the guts to say to his face if you had the chance. Ken Holland you overpaid! Sure so did everyone else today but I’ll just look at you and think I can do better. Have fun making yourself feel important. Ken Holland or any other GM won’t care so at least you’ll have your little posts.

Posted by tmoore4075 on 07/01/16 at 07:20 PM ET

Chip4Pips's avatar

AA > Helm.

That is the one I simply do not get today.

AND why on Earth resign Miller if Ott/Mr. Grit was the plan. I sure hope there is at least one, if not two, deals coming for D.

Posted by Chip4Pips on 07/01/16 at 07:20 PM ET

Any way I try to look at what happened today and be even remotely content, I always end up coming back to the Helm signing and instead want to punch a baby….or a puppy….but mostly Holland.

Sure, it’s possible Kenny redeems himself with a trade, but past experience makes it so, so difficult to be optimistic.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 07/01/16 at 07:23 PM ET

Posted by tmoore4075 on 07/01/16 at 07:20 PM ET

First of all, if I ran into Kenny on the street, you’d better damn well believe I’d give him a piece of my mind!  That’s my right as a fan of this team for over 30 years.  To Ken Holland, I’m a customer of the product he’s putting on the ice.  So yeah, he and the organization better damn well care what the fans think.  I’m old enough to remember the tail end of the “Dead Wings” era.  My dad told me stories about the team giving cars away at games just to try and get people to show up.  As a fan, am I going to be buying a Steve Ott jersey?  GOD NO!  Would I consider buying a Athanasiou jersey?  HELL YEAH!  But not if it’s a Grand Rapids jersey!  And that’s why they should care about a disgruntled fan base.

And another point.  What does it say about you that you came on here to post about how it’s stupid to post about being pissed off?  Did it make you feel important to do that?

Posted by Wise1 on 07/01/16 at 07:33 PM ET

jpellek's avatar

It’s July 1st of a long summer, let everything play out as it should. It’s a near certainty that a trade will be made for a defenseman, likely Fowler. Prices will come down. The Wings may need to part with one of Nike or Tats, that’s fine.

It’s a long road to early October. Everyone wants to rush to judgement. Let’s see how the rest of the summer plays out because I’m sure there’s more coming down the road, it just may take a few weeks.

Posted by jpellek on 07/01/16 at 07:41 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Wise1 on 07/01/16 at 07:33 PM ET

+19

And if tmoore thinks for one second that the vast majority of “The 19” wouldn’t stand in line waiting our turn to give Hapless Holland a piece of our mind then he hasn’t been reading A2Y, The Malik Report or KK in general for very long.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 07/01/16 at 07:23 PM ET

Exactly.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/01/16 at 08:15 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/01/16 at 06:49 PM ET

Completely agree.

I like Helm. I really do. He’s a cute little fella with a real cute girlfriend or wife. I don’t care which it is but apparently they’re Holland’s neighbor or some $hit. Anyhoo, saying all that how does Helm get a big, juicy raise for all those years? His production or lack there of is gonna decline fast and hard because he really is a little guy playing a “grinding game” (NOT!). This is so much worse than the Cleary deal and I really wish I could work for the Ilitchs and be completely incompetent

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/01/16 at 09:26 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by tmoore4075 on 07/01/16 at 07:20 PM ET

and you feel so important coming in here to try to smear our captain wahhhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michgian on 07/04/16 at 11:17 AM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

I should have said   “Chief”  but   “captain” sounds more PRETENTIOUS .... just for you   raspberry

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michgian on 07/04/16 at 11:19 AM ET