KK Members Blog

Save your job, General Managers.

What can Ken Holland do to save his job as a general manager of the Detroit Red Wings? How about Peter Chiarelli in Edmonton, or Marc Bergevin in Montreal?

Fletcher in Minnesota, Dorion in Ottawa? Realistically, what can these gentlemen do to save their jobs?

Is there anything they can do? If you'd rather, dream up something completely out of this world. Trade deadline: February 26th.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Members Blog | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

Invent a time machine and undo all the shitty contracts and trades done over the last few years.

Taylor Hall for Larsson? Come on.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 01/15/18 at 07:39 PM ET

Invent a time machine and undo all the shitty contracts and trades

a first round pick for Kyle F’n Quincey, that became Vasilevsky.  Good bye goalie problem.

Posted by akwingsfan on 01/15/18 at 08:16 PM ET

What can Holland do?
At least a first for Green
trade 2 of the following
Nyquist, Tatar, Ericsson, Howard or Mrazek

Then at least its worth having talks on a new contract, but no more the 2 years.  would prefer a one year deal.

Posted by akwingsfan on 01/15/18 at 08:21 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

As far as Holland goes, just show me you have a plan. I may not agree with your plan, but at least have one. To make a baseball comparison, the Tigers are going to suck hard and it may not pay off right away or even at all, but at least they have a clear direction.

I’d imagine that’s what most fans want from any team.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/15/18 at 08:43 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

He has a plan. It’s to stay competitive while developing young players and without losing future assets. This would have been a fine plan a few years ago, but I think it’s come a little too late. Those Legwand and Cole deals never should have happened. The writing was on the wall the moment Lidstrom retired. But I’m not sure how much I can blame KH for wanting to give Z and Dats one more shot at a cup. Even if it was very unlikely.

We can debate his execution of this plan (UFA contracts have been particularly questionable) or if a full rebuild is a better route to success (it probably is), but he’s not aimless.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 01/16/18 at 09:45 AM ET

Not aimless?

So he wants to stay competitive while developing young players without losing future assets, but that’s not a plan. That’s just a want.

I guess I wouldn’t blame him if that’s what he was doing, but he wasn’t. At all. He was trying to keep the playoff streak going.

He didn’t think Erik Cole or David Legwand was going to put them over the top, he just thought they were only ever going to help the streak alive.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/16/18 at 09:57 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

that’s not a plan. That’s just a want.

Arguing over semantics always leads to a productive discussion.

Those things are not mutually exclusive.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 01/16/18 at 10:29 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Only trade for picks.  Do not trade for anything else, anything human and breathing leave alone. Again only trade for picks, maybe prospects to fill holes, I said maybe.  I assume KH knows what a prospect is..

Resign AA,Larkin, Mantha, Mrazek, ...Get rid of anyone over 30 for picks, Helm, Aby, one ofTatar/Goose (probably Goose, flip a coin) for picks.Howard rental for playoff team, not sure what to do with him actually? Buyout? Booth can go flying, Wit can bruise his knucles.

Call up GR prospects, if there are any left.

If Z retires scratch all above, Kronner will never leave. XO is unknown, eating hot dogs

Defense will suck for a few years, yet…grind your teeth

Fire Blashill and KH retire before next season, if not earlier

Get the Cap out of Cap Hell.

Prepare for Tank next year, Oops on the Fly thing

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 01/16/18 at 03:52 PM ET

About KK Members Blog

If you want to be a hockey writer, be our special guest!

We’re giving the KK community a chance to add their two-bits. Sign up to be a KK member, write your piece, and be heard right here on one of the Internet’s most visited hockey news websites.

How to Post

More details here. But basically, just use the posting page to write anything you like on what's going on in the hockey news or your analysis of the NHL and your favorite team.

We only ask that you avoid profanity, and that you're careful to credit your sources -- news media or other bloggers -- and provide links to those other sites when appropriate.

Need help? Check out our help page.