Your Thoughts On The Men’s Hockey In Sochi

What team are you rooting for in the Men's Hockey Tournament at the Sochi Olympics?

Who do you think will win?

What players do you believe will standout?

As you can see, a topic starter, your participation is appreciated.

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: sochi+olympics

Comments

Datsyuk > Pride in American Citizenship.

Posted by fromdowntown on 02/11/14 at 10:48 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’m pulling for Sweden.  Great talent and puck movers on Defense, a nice balance of goal scorers and play makers as Forwards, and what-should-be solid goaltending in Lundquist.

I think Canada, Russia, USA, and Sweden all have a chance - and to be honest I wouldn’t count out Finland either.  It should be a great series.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/11/14 at 10:59 AM ET

Rooting for Russia, but it is hard to bet against Canada, way too much depth there.
I would rank teams as
1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Sweden

Assuming Varlamov caries the load, if he can play at the highest level, I think Russia has a great chance.

Posted by George0211 on 02/11/14 at 11:04 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Us of motherfuckin A, Paul.

Pullin for Russia as a plan B.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/11/14 at 11:16 AM ET

I think the American team could pull off the gold this year, just due to goaltending.  Quick and Miller are a scary combination.  I think their weakness will be scoring.  Seems like a lot of “blue collar” players like Brown and Callahan and not enough snipers like Kessel.  But, they have the goaltending to win 2-1, so that weakness could be nullifed.

I think the Russians are going to crash and burn.  I’m completely underwhelmed by their defense.  That’s going to be their downfall.  Unless they plan on winning 6-5, I wouldn’t be putting money on them.  When Markov and Voynov are your best D, it’s not looking good for you.  Good players (I personally love Voynov’s game), but neither of them would be on the top pairing of the other favourites.

I think the Canadian team will be in the gold medal game again this year.  Their perceived weakness in net really isn’t much of a weakness.  And, there’s a lot of firepower up front and impressive looking D.

I expect St. Louis to stand out.  I think he’ll force Babcock to move him up the depth chart, just like Doughty did last time.

So many good teams, though.  Sweden and Finland look pretty impressive too, though the Finns did lose some talent just before the Games, so that could hurt them.

Personally, I’m rooting for the Canadians and want to see them bring gold home again this year.

Posted by Canucklehead from Ottawa, Ontario on 02/11/14 at 11:18 AM ET

USA! but Russia is my 2nd

Posted by Pasha1277 on 02/11/14 at 11:22 AM ET

harken23's avatar

Sweden is too good. Best goaltender at the games, arguably the best defense, and enough scoring punch. Canada has a shot if their 4th line (whoever may be on it) comes thru big time. USA won’t score enough. Russia’s D is shaky at best. Switzerland could surprise some people and end up on the podium.

Posted by harken23 on 02/11/14 at 11:34 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

My only doubt for team Canada is the lack of quality leadership they had in 2010.  For the same reason, I like the Swedes’ chances.  But I’m still pulling for my homeboys, even if I have to put up with .20

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/11/14 at 11:44 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

HSJ tweeted that Sauce is practicing on a line with Hossa and Handzus.  My advice to Tatar: give the puck to Haus, but don’t expect it back wink

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/11/14 at 11:46 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Russia, USA, Sweden

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 02/11/14 at 11:54 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

The top 4 seem pretty obvious. I’d like to see a Russia/Sweden final because my favorite players are mostly on those two teams. Further, even though they’re just as nationalistic, they’re far from here and I don’t enjoy hearing the flag waving. A USA/CAN finals would be a nightmare for me personally.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/11/14 at 12:06 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I have no doubt this is it, this is the last NHL participation for it for the forseeable future.  So with that also looming over it…  *shrug*

Posted by Primis on 02/11/14 at 12:33 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

1st In terms of national pride - USA! USA! USA!

2nd The team with most of my favorite players - Gå Sverige

3rd If 1 or 2 can’t get it done - Go Pavel’s team.

4th - Fuch Canada.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 02/11/14 at 12:34 PM ET

awould's avatar

I think Sweden or Canada will win Gold. I’d like to see the USA win, but after that I’d take Sweden.

Posted by awould on 02/11/14 at 12:46 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

The dream:
Gold: USA
Silver: Canada
Bronze: I dunno - Belarus?  (Want Sweden and Russia to get longer breaks so my NHL team is less affected.)

Expectation:
Gold: Canada
Silver: Sweden
Bronze: USA

Posted by The Meal on 02/11/14 at 01:03 PM ET

Bill from GR's avatar

Color me patriotic.  USA all the way.

Now, who do I THINK will win…. Sweden beats Canada in gold medal game.

Posted by Bill from GR on 02/11/14 at 01:08 PM ET

This is a weird time for me, historically speaking.  I don’t give two bleeps about Olympic hockey in specific or the Olympics in general, and that hasn’t been the case before.  Granted, I’ve never gotten too fired up about the non-Olympic sports because they are, for the most part, silly.  Still, I at least got interested just out of pure patriotism if nothing else.

Not so much, this year.

It’s doubly odd because sports-wise I’ve been way more invested and interested this year than in previous years.  Wings and U of M hockey, gone to way more EMU basketball games than I used to, been to more live sporting events in general the past 9 months than I’ve usually gone to annually over the past decade.  Even caught a live Lions game, which is crazy for me.

Olympics?  USA Hockey?  Not doing it for me this time.  Maybe once the games start that will change,

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/11/14 at 01:32 PM ET

Sweden beats Canada in gold medal game.

That’ what I think too.

Posted by Garth on 02/11/14 at 01:32 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/11/14 at 12:32 PM ET

EMU, huh? I’m from Ypsi originally. Is EMU worth seeing play live in any sport?

Posted by awould on 02/11/14 at 01:44 PM ET

EMU, huh? I’m from Ypsi originally. Is EMU worth seeing play live in any sport?

Track and Field.

Posted by fromdowntown on 02/11/14 at 01:50 PM ET

awould's avatar

Track and Field.

I wouldn’t watch live track & field if the Olympics were in my back yard. Just not very interested in watching people run fast, jump high or throw objects far.

Posted by awould on 02/11/14 at 01:58 PM ET

EMU, huh? I’m from Ypsi originally. Is EMU worth seeing play live in any sport?

Basketball, occasionally.  Football, sparingly.  Anything else, almost never.

As a value package, though, it’s tough to beat.  BBall tickets are 10 bucks lover level and you can get 3rd 4th row most games pretty easily.  Football’s 15-20 bucks, but if you’re around Ypsi very much and/or know anybody at all you can walk into freebie’s pretty regularly.

Considering Michigan’s 40 bucks for basketball and grab your ass and pray for football, it’s a deal.

It’s the Whalers vs. Wings argument for watching hockey, mostly.  If I have a jones to watch a game live, I almost always go see the Whalers.  You can take a family of four, park, and eat for around what you’d pay for a single lower bowl ticket at the Joe.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/11/14 at 02:41 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Im just rooting for no injuries to any Wings during this farce.  And I hope like hell Pav knows what hes doing.  If any of our players win, I hope they dont have to do an interview with Costace.  That guys got the plague.

But overall, as long as Canada or Russia dont end up with the gold, ill be alright.

Posted by Hootinani on 02/11/14 at 02:57 PM ET

The Miracle On Ice team got me hooked on hockey and I’ve been happily corrupted ever since then.

Team USA, Canada, and Sweden.  Dark horse pick:  Slovakia.

Echoing Hooti - I just want the Wings players to come back safe, healthy, and hungrier than ever to win the Cup.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/11/14 at 03:04 PM ET

Such a toss-up once the round-robin is over. A goalie can steal a game and you’re done. That said, I think it’s between Canada and Sweden for gold, with the US having a chance to sneak down the middle if Miller/Quick shut the door.

Posted by Moose Moss on 02/11/14 at 03:07 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Rooting for USA for my friends, for Sweden for the Wings, and for Russia for Datsyuk. On that order, mostly.

And screw Canada.