Work Still Needs To Be Done

from Emily Kaplan of ESPN,

Smith-Pelly settled into the penalty box, removed his helmet and took a sip of water. That's when he heard the jeers. A guy sitting next to the glass was chanting, "Go play bas-ket-ball! Bask-et-ball! Bask-et-ball!" Several other fans joined in. Smith-Pelly turned to the NHL official manning the box. "Am I hearing things?" he asked. "Or is that really what they're saying?"

"Yeah," the official responded. "I hear it too."

It wasn't the first time Smith-Pelly, who is black, had heard racial taunts directed at him during a hockey game. But this was the first time he responded. He grabbed his stick and lunged toward the glass, shouting back at the fans. One of them stood up; his voice escalated as he pointed his finger at Smith-Pelly. A second man stood, and others started waving at Smith-Pelly.

Back home in Toronto, Jacqueline Smith watched on television as the incident unfolded. Her husband and Devante's father, Wayne Pelly, was at the arena -- it was the Capitals' annual dads' trip -- so she texted him. "Something is wrong with Devo," Smith wrote. Pelly caught a glimpse of the replay on a TV in the arena. "The second I saw the stick in [Devante's] hand," Pelly says. "I knew what it was. I knew the only thing that would get him that upset.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: devante+smith-pelly

Comments

Temo's avatar

I only read what’s above and not the entire article because I know it would just piss me off. It really sucks some fans sink to that guttural level. There’s no place for that crap especially when the sport is trying to make connections to more diverse audiences. It’s really shameful.

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 10/04/18 at 09:38 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Chicago fans….ugh you show your true colors again and again.

The fans here (Chicago) are brutal to anyone that doesn’t fit their mold.  I wear my Wings jersey around town and I get harassed and people want to fight me.  Seriously?  Just because I’m wearing a different jersey than you to a bar?

Unfortunately this doesn’t surprise me.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/04/18 at 09:47 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

*#$%@& disgusting people.

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 10/04/18 at 10:38 AM ET

Yeah, as a person of zero color (it’s true, just ask Dougie), it pissed me off A LOT.

Posted by RedMenace from A Tormented Hellscape on 10/04/18 at 11:44 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

Sadly I’ve run into a lot of those attitudes in LA amongst non-regulars at games (eg. in the Premier level, where many people buy single game tickets from Laker season seat holders). Idiots several years ago in shock when Wayne Simmonds was introduced.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 10/04/18 at 01:54 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Pittsburgh fans are just as bad or worse. No excuse for that kind of behavior by anyone.  angry

Posted by bigfrog on 10/04/18 at 02:34 PM ET