Will The Sedins Stay In Vancouver?

from David Ember of the Globe and Mail,

This is the last season of the five-year, $30.5-million (U.S.) deals that pay the Sedins $6.1-million each annually. While the players have previously expressed a desire to remain in Vancouver, and have said getting a deal done before the 2013-14 season starts would be good, the talks could be complicated. The last time the two sides bargained, it went down to the last moment before free agency.

Given the complexity, it’s possible a deal is not clinched in the next month – and then the question of the brothers’ future lingers around the club, not unlike the pulsing question of goaltending that coloured all of last season.

“There’s a lot of things that need to be discussed,” Henrik Sedin said after practice. “It’s money, it’s terms, it’s years, it’s a lot of different things. So I’m sure it’s not going to happen in one day, but we’ll see what happens.”

On wanting to stay, he said: “Of course.” But added: “If they want us here, I’m sure they’re going to show that.”

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: daniel+sedin, henrik+sedin

Comments

Nathan's avatar

It kills me that these two are always discussed together. It reminds me of playing rec league hockey as a kid, where there were two brothers that always had to be on the same team, so it would cost the coach two draft picks. Or playing on the play ground where two brothers would insist, when picking kickball teams, that they come as a package deal.

I mean, it’s the Sedins’ choice, and they are both good enough players that they can basically dictate staying together—someone will shell out the money for the talent. But it seems a little juvenile.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/04/13 at 08:02 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

On wanting to stay, he said: “Of course.”

One year of Torts should cure them of that desire

Posted by Hootinani on 09/04/13 at 08:20 AM ET

awould's avatar

I wonder how many other teams could carve out two spots at that salary hit to get both of them. Vancouver already has the spots for them, but it seems like being a package deal probably limits their options considerably outside of Vancouver.

Posted by awould on 09/04/13 at 11:03 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

If they take a discount to stay together (again), the Islanders* could afford them at their current salary without losing anyone.  They could even go up to 7.5M/season and fit there this year.  The Avalanche*, Sabres, Senators and Panthers* are all over 10M under the cap.  The prospect of landing the two Sedin’s would be an interesting one to a non-cap team.  Replacing your top line in it’s entirety (because the third guy doesn’t have to be a true top line player to make that a #1 line) would pretty much guarantee vaulting any decent team into instant contender status, right?  Even a budget team like Colorado would have to consider that, I would think.

The flames currently only have 11 players signed next year with 34 million in cape space opening up if the cap doesn’t go up a cent and we all expect it to rise sharply, right?  It’s hard to see them making a huge effort to keep Mike Cammalleri, Matt Stajan or Mikka Kiprusoff at their current salaries (6M, 3.5M, 5.8M) over the chance to add players like the Sedin twins and we all know how much the flames like to half-ass a rebuild.  What better way than that?

The Blues have 13 players signed, 29.9M opening up (but Pietrangelo, Halak, Brian Elliot, Alexander Steen, Patrik Berglund, are all unsigned for next year).
The Coyotes* have 14 players signed, 19M available.
The Leafs have 10 players signed and 33M available with Reimer, Kessel, Jake Gardiner, Phaneuf, Kadri, Jay McClement and being the stand-out unsigned folks.
The Hurricanes* have 10 players signed, 17M available.
The Predators have 17 players, 12M.  NJ is sitting on 11 players, 21.4M.
Minnesota* has 14 signed, 22M available, but their owner would never overpay for two guys and then whine about losing money, would he?
18 signed, 8.4 available for the Capitols***.
Tampa* has 14 players and 12M to burn through.
Dallas** has 14 signed, 16M in space, an owner with deep pockets and 4.5M further coming off the books as Ray Whitney’s contract ends.
Jets have 15 players, 17M.
The Rangers* have a terrifying 6 players signed(!!!), 37M in space and once served as the “Last stop on the way home” for fellow Swede-by-way-of-Vancouver Markus Naslund.  Does that count for anything?  Probably not?
13 players, 18M in CBUS, with Gaborik’s 7.5 coming off the books.
The Hawks* are looking at 14 players and only 4.5M to fill those spots, so that ought to be interesting next summer.
The Canadiens have 14 players and 24M in cap space.  They seem like a good destination to me as shifting from Markov and Gionta (5.7 and 5M respectively) to the Sedin’s would fix some issues and let Galchenyuk play a second line role for a couple more years before becoming the man.
The Ducks* are at 13 signed, 22M, Edmonton 9 players, 32M.
Even Los Angeles* has almost 10M for next year’s cap (14 signed).
San Jose* has 14 signed, 19.7M available and an oppurtunity to bid farewell to Thornton/Marleau and their 14M in cap hits.
Good lord, I expected to run out of teams before now.
The Penguins* have 12 players, 10M so we’re finally looking at teams that couldn’t really come close to making room for the Sedin’s and filling out their roster unless the cap takes a really massive jump (they’ll have to replace or resign Orpkin, Niskanen, Sutter and some of the replacement level players from the bottom of their roster).
Boston* is in a comparable spot with Chicago, 15 players signed, 7.3M available.  Iginla and his 6M won’t be back,  but they’ll have to sign Krug (RFA) and that’ll get expensive.
I think it’s safe to say the Flyers* are out?  15M, 10.9 in cap space and Brayden Schenn, Matt Read, Timonen, Meszaros, Erik Gustafsson all needing to be resigned or replaced.

And, finally, the halfway house for old Swedes with hockey sticks, our very own Detroit Red Wings* have 15 players signed, 18.5M in space and hopefully, from where I sit, enough sense to run the hell away.  Ericsson, DeKeyser, Tatar, Eaves-maybe, will need raises and (one would assume) replacements for Alfredsson, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Quincey and Jonas Gustafsson have to be replaced.

So, to answer your question, a lot of teams could easily carve out two spots for those guys.  The Canucks, however, have only 12 players signed and 21M in cap space next summer at the current cap value and a lot of face to lose if they walk.  I expect they’ll overpay them unless a healthy Kesler has such a bounce back year they become irrelevant… and I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see Tortorella fired if they don’t jive with him.

At the least, it’ll make for an exceedingly annoying time between now and next July as every bad team’s beat writer makes his case for management considering it when, in actuality, there’ll probably only be 4-5 teams even willing to consider it.  I expect the Toronto media sharknado and the Montreal-is-better-than-everywhere-else-why-wouldn’t-EVERYONE-come-here wackos, in particular, to be particularly ghastly but the thing that excites me the most is the possibility of someday seeing a Bostonian media outlet making a case as if that would ever happen (I think their sports fans, in general, rival Montreal for questionably-tethered-to-reality belief that everyone wants to go there to play).

* Denotes IKEA locations within driving distance.  I feel like that’s important.  Apologies to the Canadian teams. I don’t know where your Ikeas are located and their website recognized me as a dirty American and wouldn’t tell me.
** Denotes IKEA locations I’ve been to repeatedly and approve of the meatballs at.
*** Denotes IKEAs I’ve been to in the middle of the summer with no air conditioning.  Also indicates elevators with emergency stop/call buttons within range of 18 months old children in a stroller.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 09/04/13 at 04:37 PM ET

Posted by awould on 09/04/13 at 12:03 PM ET

I think there are a lot of teams that could fit both of them under the cap and would be willing to, but I’m not sure how many of them would present a better enough chance at winning for it to be worth it for them to leave.  They’ve been Canucks for thirteen years, so I would think it would take some monumental blunder of negotiation or show of disrespect on the part of Vancouver management for them to even consider going elsewhere.

Or, I guess for the management to simply decide they don’t want the Sedins anymore…

Posted by Garth on 09/04/13 at 04:38 PM ET

awould's avatar

You don’t approve of the meatballs at the IKEA in Phoenix?

Posted by awould on 09/04/13 at 04:41 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I actually have never been to the IKEA in Phoenix but I am quite willing to give them a try should I ever venture that way.  Epicurean testimonials welcome.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 09/04/13 at 04:45 PM ET

awould's avatar

The meatballs at the Phoenix IKEA are acceptable.

Posted by awould on 09/04/13 at 04:55 PM ET