Why Am I Up So Late?

It's called scoreboard watching or in my case, actually watching the games.

Many of you know I am a Red Wings fan but don't touch on it much in the KK Hockey section since that area is for all things hockey.

But I am experiencing something quite different than in years past and that is being worried about the Wings making the playoffs.

To make this short, I am now in a position were I am hoping teams above the Wings in the standings beat the teams below Detroit in the standings, thereby giving the Wings some breathing room while they sit in the 8th spot in the Western Conference.

Tonight, both Phoenix and Edmonton lost in regulation which does give Detroit a little cushion but I am still not convinced Detroit will make the playoffs.

The key to me is how they do during a crucial road swing.  After playing San Jose in Detroit on Thursday, the Wings face this...

It the Wings can come back home with 5 out of a possible 8 points, they should be OK with 3 out of the final 4 games at home (PHX, LAK, NAS at home, DAL, the final regular season game on the road).

Until then, I will be watching.

Here's how the WC standings look after tonight's games.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

genodog's avatar

Paul,
Is there any realistic interest in Ryan Miller coming back to Michigan and playing for the Red Wings? He seems disgusted with the situation here in Buffalo,. can’t say that I blame him, you never know which team will hit the ice on any given night!

Posted by genodog on 04/09/13 at 12:36 AM ET

I think it was Brendan Shanahan who said (paraphrasing it now as I can’t recall it at the moment), “We shouldn’t have to depend on other people to do our work for us.  We have to go do it ourselves.”

Wings’ destiny is in their own hands.  No one’s gonna do us any favors.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/09/13 at 12:36 AM ET

Paul's avatar

genodog, if the Wings and Jimmy Howard don’t reach a contract agreement by the end of the regular season, anything is possible.

But if they sign him, Miller will not be in their plans at all.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/09/13 at 12:43 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

I am a big fan of Jimmie Howard.
He works his butt off, and this year he is the only guy standing between the Wings and oblivion.

cool cheese

Posted by w2j2 on 04/09/13 at 05:37 AM ET

No one’s gonna do us any favors.

Phoenix and Edmonton (or, depending on how you look at it, Vancouver and Anaheim) did last night.

Posted by Garth on 04/09/13 at 06:32 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Wings are likely first round fodder anyways. I know, with a hot goalie you can do damage, no doubt. But realistically this is the first of what will probably be at least one or two more rebuilding years.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/09/13 at 07:39 AM ET

John's avatar

My understanding is Miller wants to move somewhere close to LA so he can see his wife, who is an actress, more often.  So I am not sure Detroit is in Miller’s plans.

Also, if Detroit can’t get a deal done for Howie, turning to Miller and his massive contract (he makes north of $6 million a year) doesn’t make much sense.  Howie is a bonafide #1 goalie, no doubt about it.  If the Wings aren’t willing to spend the money they need to re-sign him they will look for a cheap replacement, I guarantee it.

I agree with Nathan.  The Wings are rebuilding.  I really don’t want to see them break their playoff streak, but they aren’t getting out of the first round anyway and I wouldn’t be upset if they wound up with the 1-3 overall pick.

Posted by John from Pittsburgh, PA (Wings fan for life!) on 04/09/13 at 10:13 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Yes, I have heard the same thing about Miller but where in LA would he play.  Kings, nope and Ducks not need goaltending either.

Closest would be Phoenix because Smith is still unsigned for next year.

If you want to know, Miller only has one year left at $6.25M, then UFA July 2014.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/09/13 at 10:16 AM ET

I’m having a hard time with these games knowing who to root for.  I want the lower teams to lose so they can’t catch Detroit.  I want the upper teams to lose so Detroit has a chance to catch them.

I was easier in the good old days when I could just hope for an overtime tie with a couple of leftover groin injuries as a bonus.

Posted by BobTheZee on 04/09/13 at 01:24 PM ET

I = It

Posted by BobTheZee on 04/09/13 at 01:25 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Exactly BTZ.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/09/13 at 01:25 PM ET

Paul's avatar

If anyone is wondering what BTZ is talking about, you can watch the disallowed Sedin goal here.

I agree with the call, even though you cannot see Sedin make contact with the puck, he did kick Smith’s left pad which, did propel the puck into the net, even if he did not make contact with the puck.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/09/13 at 01:34 PM ET