Video- Zac Rinaldo On His Suspension

Zac Rinaldo wanted to make sure the NHL understood he had no intent to injure Buffalo Sabres defenceman Chad Ruhwedel.

And I have never heard a player say yes, "my intent was to injure him."

Until players understand hits like Rinaldo made can injure someone and need to be avoided, we will continue to see more suspensions down the line.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: zac+rinaldo

Comments

Paul's avatar

Ted Nolan via Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News…

“Those type of hits have got to be out of our game,” Nolan said. “You’re not talking injuries where you knock a guy out for a week or two weeks. It can knock his career right off the tracks. We all see what concussions do to some of our athletes after the fact. It’s a very serious thing and I think we’ve got to take it a lot more serious than four games.”

Doesn’t appear to be the thought coming out of Philly, where GM Paul Holmgren called the suspension “harsh.” Nolan scoffed at that comment.

“Unfortunately something serious has to happen before rules come into place,” Nolan said. “You just knock on wood that it doesn’t come to that. You’re talking someone’s head, where the brain be permanently damaged. You’re not talking an elbow or finger or those type of things. I believe we have to take it a lot more serious.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/08/14 at 01:24 PM ET

Nolan is absolutely right. The suspensions need to be in ridiculous territory before players get the point. I’m talking 20-30-40 games.

Posted by George0211 on 04/08/14 at 02:11 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I agree that this hit can NOT be allowed in the game (obviously). but I also think people are very quick to judge malice without appreciating fully the speed these plays happen and these decisions are made at. I’m not excusing hits like this, but I definitely think the vast majority - if not nearly all - of these head shots are the results of “poor angles” as they say in the videos or, in other words, mistakes. Yeah, guys are trying to lay guys out. They are trying to make monstrous hits and ARE trying to hurt people, despite what they say. But I do believe they are trying to hurt people through legal body checks and that the headshots are generally the result of poor decision making. Not to say they shouldn’t be punished harshly as I do think guys can be programmed to instinctually let up when a hit seems iffy rather than just go for it every time. But it just takes watching a game from ice level one time to realize just how instantaneous these decisions need to be made and what a fine line there is between a good hit and a bad hit in terms of physics. It’s a fast fast fast TOUGH sport. It’s an unenviable spot to be in for guys whose livelihoods depend solely on making hits every time they touch the ice.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/08/14 at 02:38 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/08/14 at 02:38 PM ET

I’m sorry (not really), but Rinaldo has long passed the point of people giving him doubt. He does this thing several times a season, every season.

Perma-ban the goon.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/08/14 at 03:21 PM ET

My wife was trying to argue about whether or not it was intentional. My response: It was Rinaldo and they won’t suspend him enough.

Posted by teldar on 04/08/14 at 04:27 PM ET