Video- Mike Matheson Tosses Elias Pettersson To The Ice

No penalty on the play.  Your thoughts?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Florida Panthers, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: elias+pettersson, mike+matheson

Comments

Paul's avatar

No update on Pettersson from coach Green post-game.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/13/18 at 10:24 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I have seen Pettersson play and he is notch or 2 above other rookies.  He is amazing but is young amd very light certainly not over 170 lbs.  I don’t know or care about Matheson. but more importantly a few Canucks should have responded, more than once to show no one plays dirty against our top players.  Dirty ,targeted hit, penalty two mins and a whisper in his ear

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/13/18 at 10:59 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Refs are in mid season form I see.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 10/13/18 at 11:07 PM ET

Garbage move. Wings play them in a few days, kids better keep their head on a swivel.
Could NHL officiating get any worse? Apparently, yes.

Posted by ChillDistiller from Michigan on 10/14/18 at 12:17 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Gar.bage.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/14/18 at 08:32 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Iain MacIntyre of Sportsnet,

The Canucks contacted league officials after the game and were assured the NHL’s department of player safety would look into Matheson’s hit on Pettersson, who was crunched into the boards, then thrown heavily to the ice about five minutes into the third period when the game was tied 2-2.

The injury appears to have occurred on Matheson’s follow-through, which was not penalized by referees Jean Hebert and Francois St. Laurent.

“It looked more like WWE to me,” Canuck winger Sven Baertschi said. “It’s one thing to pin a guy against the boards. But once he’s against the boards, he’s off balance and gets wrestled down like that? That hurts. And with his head going backwards, that’s not a comfortable situation for him. Things happen quick out there. I’m not sure he meant to do it, but he did.

“It’s a weird hit. I didn’t see it at the start, but I watched it again and it was a body-slam. It didn’t look too good, I’m sure it didn’t feel too good. Hopefully it’s not too serious. (Pettersson) amazes us every single game. The poise in his game, the moves he makes out there, he’s way beyond his age. He’s just so happy to be out there and has done a great job so far.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/14/18 at 08:57 AM ET

It just says a lot about the Canucks-  Someone should have dropped their gloves.  This is hockey, and it you fight in those situations.  Take away the punches and you end up like that.  Could have been a rivalry builder and a fan favorite game.

Posted by SevensForTed on 10/14/18 at 12:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Nick Kypreos reporting a phone hearing for Matheson, once official I will put a post up.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/14/18 at 12:21 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

The WWE returns. I remember being at a Red Wings playoff game against Calgary a few years ago. Todd Bertuzzi body slammed a Calgary player who keep irritated him.  LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 10/14/18 at 06:39 PM ET