Video- Bobby Orr Wants The Red Line Back

via Sportsnet,

NHL legend Bobby Orr is a big believer in putting the red line back in arenas, saying ‘let’s make our kids handle the puck and make the pass.’

Filed in: NHL Talk, Non-NHL Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bobby+orr

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

I don’t get the desire to put the red line back in.

It’s a widely-held view that the players have outgrown the rink, and space is limited. Why would you want to divide the rink into thirds again?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 01/29/16 at 12:06 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

No to the red line going back, especially in agreement with Red Winger. I’m even at the point now I almost want the blue line to go away. If a team wants to have a player cherry pick then either the other team has a defenseman back there or takes a chance going 5 on 4 in the zone.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 01/29/16 at 12:33 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 01/29/16 at 11:33 AM ET

While we’re at it, why not take out faceoffs and eliminate penalties?

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/16 at 12:56 PM ET

You idiots. Putting the redline back in will slow down the game a bit and hopefully reduce head injuries.Plus it will force the players to pass more resulting in more turnovers and more goals. Simple, isint it

Posted by Bobnoxious on 01/29/16 at 01:04 PM ET

You idiots.

lol By starting your opinion with this statement, it added to its validity over 9000 percent.

Posted by neffernin on 01/29/16 at 01:33 PM ET

While we’re at it, why not take out faceoffs and eliminate penalties?

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/16 at 11:56 AM ET

I say instead of faceoffs, they do tip-offs like basketball and the players attempt to whack it to their own side.

You are taking quite the leap from discussing removing the blue line to removing faceoffs/penalties.    This is called a straw man, instead of discussing the original point you distort it beyond the realms of reality then refute your twisted version of it.

While I think removing the blue lines would change the game too drastically; its definitely an interesting thought.  Say they changed the rules to allow 1 person to cross the line before the puck, but added a 2 line pass rule (puck crosses both bluelines).  Players wouldn’t exactly be able to cherry pick from a cross-rink pass but entering the zone would likely be a lot easier (leading to more scoring).

Is it feasible?  Probably not, but if they want more goals something is going to have to change.

Posted by neffernin on 01/29/16 at 01:35 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/16 at 11:56 AM ET

You obviously miss the point. Artificially confining players to “zones” actually cuts down on creativity. The size, speed, skill of the players I believe at this point warrants the removal of “offsides” from the game. You’d eliminate opportunities of checks from behind after a player chips the puck into the zone because the defense is lined up across the blue line.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 01/29/16 at 01:35 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by neffernin on 01/29/16 at 12:35 PM ET

I like that idea. Like, I said, I’m leaning towards it but haven’t thought too much into detail about how to implement or other types of restrictions to put on it.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 01/29/16 at 01:36 PM ET

Sure, because forcing the players to all occupy and even smaller amount of the ice surface at the same time is going to reduce collisions?

Posted by Garth on 01/29/16 at 01:47 PM ET

Not like we are going to go to the NHL board with it.  What ifs can be fun if you let them be.

Posted by neffernin on 01/29/16 at 02:00 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

There’s a reason we would always turn off “Two Line Passes” on NHL ‘98. It’s dumb.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 01/29/16 at 03:21 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I agree with Bobby about the effect that it would have, and it would be nice to see less dump-outs, but I don’t think it needs a change.  I think there is enough scoring.  I really don’t think there’s anyone that prefers a 7-6 game with terrible goalies to a 3-2 game with great goalies.

I just watched a bunch of Orr highlights, and the guy is the original complete package, truly an unbelievable skater, but the goalies look like they are kidding.  Does anyone want that?  Walk over the blue and wire one past a standing goalie that doesn’t move?  Or a whole game of 3-on-3?

Whenever I hear people willing to make huge changes I just feel like they aren’t really fans.  The NHL is effing rad.  Why are half the journalists and fans constantly griping and trying to figure out how to fix it?  I mean I guess it is natural in that we get frustrated with a league that refuses to enforce its own rules, and puts the dirtiest player in its history in charge of suspensions, but seriously, constantly changing the rules is the only thing wrong.  The number of players, and the dimensions of the rink and the net, are what hockey is.  I just can’t take it seriously when gripers talk about turning it into shinny.  Watch something else.  The skill in hockey has never been so amazing, and that goes for goalies too.  I like watching them dominate.

Does anyone propose that the NBA make the court bigger and play 4-on-4?  The players are bigger and stronger and faster.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/29/16 at 04:16 PM ET

When they removed the red line the idea was that teams could make longer passes which would lead to more odd-man rushes and therefor scoring.  At first that was probably true, but coaches then adapted to the rules.  Now the default breakout in the NHL is to throw the puck up to boards and have a forward tip it, or even attempt to touch it and force the defenseman to take his stick, either play negating icing.  This is to reduce turnovers exiting the zone, which in turn reduces counter attack opportunities and therefor scoring.  In my estimation this is a wash when it comes to scoring chances created, but now there is very little creativity coming through the neutral zone.

The game is not focused on puck possession, but rather territory control—now playing much more like American Football.  Players “punt” and attempt to win the puck back on the offensive side of the rink rather than risking turning it over.

I don’t personally have a problem with the chip and chase style that the NHL has adopted as a consequence of losing the red line, but there is no doubt that it creates more speed through the neutral zone and therefor more violent collisions.  Putting the red line back in will not reduce collisions, it very likely could increase them, but the speed and intensity of the collisions will probably be lower.

The trickle down effect of this is detrimental to the development of younger players.  In the past few years many NHL players have commented that they believe kids aren’t improving their puck skills because they’re being coached mistake-free hockey.  Professional sports is about winning, and reducing turnovers is a key factor in that.  Now that kids are being coached to play that way, they may be more accustomed to the NHL game, but they’re sacrificing offensive skills that used to be required to get up the ice.

Whether or not you agree with Bobby Orr, most of his points are valid.

Posted by fallenaeon on 01/29/16 at 09:40 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

True as the coaches adjust to the situation. The coaches are adjusting to 3 on 3 overtime with more games going deeper into the O.T., or going to a shoot out. Putting the red line would reduce scoring ever more. Is that the kind of hockey you want to watch? ohh

Posted by bigfrog on 01/29/16 at 10:34 PM ET

Putting the red line would reduce scoring ever more.  Is that the kind of hockey you want to watch?

I’m not convinced that it would reduce scoring even more.  Making it harder to get through the neutral zone would lead to more turnovers, and more icings, both of which send the play back in your end.  In fact turnovers in the neutral zone lead to odd-man rushes more often than a stretch pass does.  Also it would make for more skilled and entertaining plays to get through the neutral zone.

I am not necessarily a proponent of putting the two line pass back in, but I also don’t believe that taking it out accomplished what it was supposed to.

As for the scoring, or lack thereof, problem in the NHL.  I find good defensive plays and saves to be entertaining. So until games are routinely ending without scoring at all, I don’t consider it to be a problem.

Posted by fallenaeon on 01/29/16 at 11:00 PM ET