Tomas Vokoun Underwent Procedure Today To Dissolve A Blood Clot

Hoping the recovery goes well for Vokoun.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: tomas+vokoun

Comments

NHLJeff's avatar

That sucks. Hopefully Shero will pick up a UFA since you can’t safely rely on Fleury these days. They’ll likely give Zatkoff a chance though for cap reasons. If Vokoun goes on LTIR, it should solve the cap issues for now. I wouldn’t mind seeing them sign DiPietro for the minimum. I’m sure he’d work hard to prove himself. Maybe Theodore if they want a safer option.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 09/21/13 at 07:12 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Hedberg is available too

Posted by Evilpens on 09/21/13 at 07:38 PM ET

Paul's avatar

So is Tim Thomas, still on a PTO with Florida.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/21/13 at 07:47 PM ET

Sal's avatar

I seem recall Vokoun having problems with blood clots when he was still with Nashville. Something to do with burn scarring from a childhood accident.

Posted by Sal from the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains on 09/21/13 at 08:04 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Doctors at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota cleared Vokoun on Monday after reviewing his status. The blood clots that kept Vokoun from finishing last season and put him on three months of blood thinners likely resulted from a childhood accident.

Vokoun said the blood clots didn’t grow or get smaller with the blood thinners.

“That’s basically the sign of being an old blood clot turning into scar tissue and growing into the side of the veins in your stomach, which is part of my anatomy right now. It’s just something you just live with. Your body finds different ways to fix broken stuff inside you,” Vokoun said.

Vokoun was only 10 months old when he grabbed a tablecloth, dumping hot coffee on himself. The blood clot is in his right groin, near where doctors inserted a catheter during his treatment as a baby.

Posted by Evilpens on 09/21/13 at 08:31 PM ET

Tony's avatar

I don’t like this AT ALL….

I don’t care if this is still preseason or not, Fleury has looked frickin’ lousy so far….

I would bet GMRS goes the UFA route, once they determine just how long Vokoun will be out….. Remember they’re still $1.1 million over the cap…..

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 09/21/13 at 08:50 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I don’t like this AT ALL….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA

Oh, come on, Tony. Don’t say stuff like that. You know how happy it makes us Wings fans. smile

On a more serious note, nothing about Vokoun’s personal situation is at all humorous. Best of luck to him.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/21/13 at 10:38 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/21/13 at 11:38 PM ET

Ditto.

Posted by calquake on 09/21/13 at 10:54 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/21/13 at 11:38 PM ET

LOL OTC, yeah I know, I hate making you guys happy…. wink

But at least to this schmuck, I can no longer shrug off Fleury’s struggles….

By the way, the Master Chief invited me to dinner at his humble abode last week while I was in San Diego for work.  Spent a couple hours drinking beer reminiscing out our Navy times and talkin’ hockey.  Good times, indeed.

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 09/22/13 at 07:55 AM ET