The Real Captain Canada

from Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press,

Team Canada coach Mike Babcock said Monday he had some thoughts on who his captain would be in Sochi, but he hadn't made a final determination. Toews figures in that slight reservation. Sidney Crosby is the consensus pick to be captain, but maybe Toews is better suited for the role.

In seven instances wearing a Team Canada jersey, Toews has won gold six times. He has the knack of being able to do whatever his team needs him to do at the right moment.

Many will argue -- and I'm firmly in this camp -- at this moment in time, Toews is the best player in the world. Durable, clutch and complete. He is The Franchise in Chicago and maybe Canada too.

Crosby is an offensive genius, but his defensive game is lacking. And while he leads with his play, he's not exactly Abe Lincoln when it comes to oratory skills.

Toews took a strong stand during the lockout and is never afraid to speak his mind. It's not hard to imagine him getting up in the dressing room and setting things straight.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jonathon+toews, team+canada

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

HAHAHAHAHA.

Oh…excuse me…um…what?

I’ll say this…there is one person who has demonstrated his easy it is to get under these supposed ‘best players in the world’ skins…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/27/13 at 09:21 AM ET

igrover's avatar

But But But what about his meltdown in the early part of the Detroit playoff series?

Posted by igrover on 08/27/13 at 09:24 AM ET

Many will argue—and I’m firmly in this camp—at this moment in time, Toews is the best player in the world. Durable, clutch and complete. He is The Franchise in Chicago and maybe Canada too.

I am not sure this writer has ever watched Toews play. He disappears for huge stretches of the seson, he plays like a bull in a china shop, lacking finesse and any real playmaking ability. His temper got totally away from him in the playoffs at a crucial time, and I wouldn’t consider cranky a leadership skill. Toews is a good player, but I wouldn’t put him in the great category and he certainly isn’t the best player in he world.

Posted by timbits on 08/27/13 at 09:33 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

I know its fun to piss off Cawks fans and all, but I think Toews deservers this

He might have gotten pissed off in our series last playoff, but that’s probably exactly what made his team “wake up”
Up to that point, he was the only one playing playoff hockey on their side, and after he got pissed and all the media talked about it, the rest of the team “woke up”

That’s damn fine captaincy, IMHO..
Come on, I can totally see us getting behind our captain (no matter which one) if our team was playing sloppy and he did the same thing

And let’s be real, between him and Cry Baby?  Toews is a better captain by MILES…

Posted by Zqto on 08/27/13 at 10:10 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I would have Crosby as my captain. Crosby’s cry-baby antics are largely in the past, while we have similar antics from Toews fresh on the mind. As a Wings fan I love to criticize both these guys. wink But tell me the last time you saw Crosby take numerous bad penalties over a seven game series that almost cost his team a playoff round?

I also think Crosby’s defensive game is being underrated when compared to Toews. Crosby is strong on faceoffs and is clearly trusted and used by his coach in any and all critical situations. He’s probably not quite as good as Toews in a shut down role, but he’s also a heck of a lot harder to shut down than Toews is.

The best player doesn’t necessarily make the best captain, I get that. But I’m not sold that Toews is some Steve Yzerman or Mark Messier type that just absolutely has to have the C over the guy who is the clearly superior player in Crosby. Let’s not forget that Crosby scored a pretty important goal in the last Olympics…

In the end it’s pretty silly. How important is wearing the C in a small sample size tournament, especially on a team with so much talent? If Babcock and/or Yzerman wanted to make this real easy, they could just put a guy like Martin St. Louis or Patrice Bergeron on the team and give them the C, as they are widely respected veterans that nobody would be particularly comfortable criticizing in that situation.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/27/13 at 10:31 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

How many people outside of Chicagoland, other than Mr. Lawless of course, would pick Toews over Crosby if the NHL was theirs to remake?

I don’t think anyone has to ask what the answer to that question is.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/27/13 at 11:08 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

What Nathan said. I bitch about Crosby, but Crosby has never come unglued quite like Captain Porkchop did this spring.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/27/13 at 11:09 AM ET

Considering how successful Team Canada was in the last Olympics with S.Neidermeyer wearing the “C” with Crosby, Pronger, and Iginla wearing the “A” patches, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is Crosby inheriting the “C” this time around.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 08/27/13 at 01:01 PM ET

Puppies and Hookers's avatar

Fuch Crosby, just because… but yeah, he’s the best player alive and has grown up enough to be the easy, default choice for captain.

Posted by Puppies and Hookers from La la land on 08/27/13 at 06:26 PM ET