The Possible Secret Behind The No Tuck Rule

Laughed at for most of the pre-season thus far is the National Hockey League rule against tucking in a jersey.  Deemed a player safety issue the act of tucking in a jersey is now a two-minute delay of game penalty, as Carolina Hurricanes forward Alexander Semin found out last night as he became the first player to be assessed a penalty for the infraction.

As many laughed about the new spectacle of games being won or lost based on a penalty for a jersey tuck others have started to speculate about a more profitable meaning behind such a rule.

What could be profitable about the back end of a jersey being untucked?  Dmitry Chesnokov may be right on with his tweet:

If the NHL started putting advertisements on their game day jerseys they would be the first major sports league in North America to do so.

European hockey teams have been covered in advertisements for years and mocked by plenty in North America for covering more of the jersey than the teams own logo or the players name and number.

Coming back from another half season due to lockout with lost revenues for many teams and the league as a whole we are now seeing a flood of cash-and-grab ideas and this latest speculation about the jersey tuck rule makes logical sense.

As a business owner I am not going to pay to have my advertisement hidden so make a rule making it so that players can no longer ‘hide’ that part of the jersey.  It keeps the advertisement (at least the first one) off of the front of the sweater and with players bending for face-offs and cameras covering chases down the ice it is a high profile area for the viewing audience.

One day I may be sitting down with my kids and telling them that I remember the days before advertisements were on jerseys, just as many are told of the good old days before advertisements covered the ice and boards as the game of ice hockey is becoming more business than game.

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alexander+semin, carolina+hurrincanes, national+hockey+league

Comments

bezukov's avatar

The day my hockey team looks like a bunch of nascar drivers on skates will be the day I never buy another hockey jersey.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/19/13 at 02:39 PM ET

pautna's avatar

What bezukov said!

Posted by pautna on 09/19/13 at 02:48 PM ET

Navarath's avatar

i always thought the euro jerseys looked cool. If NASCAR can do it, so can we!

Posted by Navarath on 09/19/13 at 03:13 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

The day my hockey team looks like a bunch of nascar drivers on skates will be the day I never watch another hockey game

And I mean it… I never said I would stop watching the NHL on last year’s stoppage, because I never meant to sto watching it, but this kind of thing would really make me despise the sport

Posted by Zqto on 09/19/13 at 03:49 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Would NASCAR be more enjoyable if all the cars looked like hockey players with wheels?

Is it the loss of the last thread of evidence that the NHL isn’t a money-making business or what?  It’s not like businesses having been inching into the game in other ways we’ve put up with.

Hell, they moved the start of a STANLEY CUP FINAL SERIES to accommodate a television network rolling out their new late night talk show host.

I mean is that it? They’re just being too obvious with it?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/19/13 at 04:48 PM ET

Good grief, guys.

You pay 150 dollars plus for a freaking team jersey that costs 10 bucks to make tops because you like the team or the player and you’re going to draw some kind of moral/ethical line over an ad being there, too?

While you walk into a bunch of company-sponsored rinks?
While you watch a game with ads ringing the boards?
While you pay 8 bucks for a beer and 6 for a hot dog?

Yeah.  Way to draw a really critical line.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/19/13 at 05:05 PM ET

aerodude's avatar

Wow! Did you see that slapper from the point that Tomas SAMSUNG™  Tatar just pounded in? I can’t wait to buy his jersey!

Posted by aerodude on 09/19/13 at 05:06 PM ET

Four words:

Belle Tire Power Play.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/19/13 at 05:06 PM ET

Monica McAlister's avatar

My kids were 3 and 4 when they first pointed out Bell Tire as I was driving:

“Mommy! Mommy”  I hear them screaming from the back thinking something was wrong, “It’s Bell Tire!”

“How do you know Bell Tire?”

“Bell Tire Power Play! It’s Red Wings!”

I don’t think the ads would be on the jerseys they sell; just the game worn ones.  TV puts up ads on the glass behind the goalies that changes every period since the ice and boards are out of space.  It really was/is a matter of time before they make it onto the game day jerseys.  As I said in the piece the bottom of the back is a better spot for it as it doesn’t impede on the logo in the front and is in a highly viewable area.

Will it be league sponsorship? Team Sponsors or maybe Individual players?  I do not have those answers right now but it could all be possible in the future.

Posted by Monica McAlister from Michigan on 09/19/13 at 05:13 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/19/13 at 04:48 PM ET

Nascar has a different tradition than hockey.  The ads don’t seem out of place for them, nor do I think sponsorship has the same role in hockey that it does in Nascar.

I like the jerseys without ads.  Isn’t rational like dipshit pointed out, but why does rationality have to play in this?  It’s a matter of taste and aesthetics for me.  I think the Wings jersey looks sharp, and ads would ruin that for me.  I understand the almighty dollar will ultimately drive us over that line; but its a line the big four sports leagues haven’t crossed so far and I hope they don’t.  The arena names, belle tire power play, etc.  That doesn’t get to me.

Yeah.  Way to draw a really critical line.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/19/13 at 05:05 PM ET

Here’s a critical line for you HD, go fuch yourself.  Why don’t you tell me why its rational to watch a bunch of sweaty dudes push a rubber disk around an ice sheet with knives on their feet if you’re so fuching smart?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/20/13 at 09:21 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

True, but all traditions have to start somewhere and there’s already a pretty strong European foothold for the tradition of advertising on soccer jerseys. North America is getting more and more used to the concept as soccer’s popularity grows as well.

I actually agree with you here.  I don’t want to see ads on jerseys either. I’d love it if they didn’t do it and I can say with near-certainty that I would never buy a jersey that had ads on it (although even Euro-league teams still give the option of buying plain jerseys).

So your stance is one I fall in line with. I just don’t really agree with Zqto’s stance where that’s the line in the sand for giving up watching the NHL. There’s not another professional league nearly as good as the NHL that doesn’t already have ads (and I’m going to assume that the AHL is going to do it at the exact same time the NHL does anyway to kill that route).

That leaves my options pretty limited. I mean, they’ve straight up murdered 150 regular season NHL games since I became aware of the sport over money.  I just don’t see this as being the defining straw that makes me say screw it.  Some day I might get tired of it all and move on to a different hobby/passion/following.  I just know that when I do, hockey really isn’t going to care one way or another that I have.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/20/13 at 11:04 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

I disagree, see EPL jersey’s sales

I might be one step in front of you. I guess I’ll know for certain as this coming season plays out. Donlt get me wrong, I really like hockey and have been a supporter of the Wings for 3 decades, but the league shenanigans over the past 19-20 years (more acutely, the last 10) are really starting to grate on me. I may just be getting to where I get my hockey fix from personal recreation and leave it at that.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 09/20/13 at 11:20 AM ET

Here’s a critical line for you HD, go fuch yourself.

Way to be critical.

Thanks, I will.

On the larger topic of the rationality of fandom, people enjoy associating themselves with tribes, as a recent article on the main page touches on, because humans are inherently social beings.  Whether those tribes be athletic, or political, or esoteric… people like to clan up.  It is ‘rational’, then, to presume that a group of people who have a predilection towards finding enjoyment in the watching of a sport in general and hockey in particular would congregate in one manner or another and share that enjoyment amongst the group.

To the more specific issue of your slobbering rage at having criticism of jersey ads being eyerolled at by me as a bit obtuse, it should be noted that if you have an aversion to ads like someone has to a pair of shoes (golly, I just don’t like that color), then whatever.  Taste is taste.  Some people like red, some people like green.  So what.  Maybe you don’t like beards either.  Who knows.  If there’s no underlying principal or idea behind the preference, it’s useless for others to worry about its relevance.  It has none.  It’s just a thing.

If, on the other hand, one is trying to make a point about how having ads on jerseys is somehow ‘morally wrong’, or somehow sullies the purity of the sport or whatever else, then you’re being silly because the NHL and/or Bettman and/or the Wings have been pimping themselves their team their fans and their sport for cheap bucks for decades.

Trying to present the presence of an ad on a jersey as some sort of metaphorical last straw when pretty much everything else has been monetized and ad space has encroached upon, quite literally, every other square inch of visible frontage and egress is nuts.

I mean, just the presence of the logo itself is marketing via branding.  The winged wheel is, at it’s base, an advertisement intended to invoke a specific reaction from customers both existing and potential.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/20/13 at 11:26 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

draw some kind of moral/ethical line over an ad being there, too?

That is the line for me when it comes to purchasing a jersey; I am not going to pay an advertiser. Which, I feel, in essence, is what I’m doing if I were to purchase something with advertising on it (and subsequently wear it in public). To me the cost of that product should decrease because someone else is paying a portion of the cost. In addition, if I were to then wear the jersey with advertising on it, I should be receiving compensation from the advertiser for giving them the additional exposure to wherever I travel while wearing the article with their advertising on it. Absent that compensation, I will not be their free exposure vehicle. So, therein lies my moral ethical line.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 09/20/13 at 11:39 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/20/13 at 11:04 AM ET

Our minds are about the same on this issue.  I wasn’t one of those who swore that I’d never watch another hockey game before/during the lockout, and ads on the jersey wouldn’t keep me away either.  The jerseys are just the last place without advertisement and I like that.  If they put ads on them it won’t change that much for me, I just won’t buy jerseys with ads on them.  But at that point the jerseys will be about as dead to me as arenas not named after a corporate sponsor will be after the Wings move.

Thanks, I will.

Congratulations on reaching the mountain top of self parody Aristotle.  I know it’s been a long road to get here, but you’ve arrived.  Maybe take some time, and write to your family back home.  It’s a real accomplishment.

If I sounded annoyed, and I was/am, its because you distorted my words to make a point you wanted to make.  I never attempted to make a rational evaluation of ads being placed on jerseys until I replied to JJ.  You’ll notice also, that I never made a moral evaluation either.  I said:

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/19/13 at 02:39 PM ET

No attempt was made to assess the logic of the situation, or the right or wrong of it.  I simply said that I won’t spend my money on jerseys when that happens. I do my best to make my words say what I mean, no more, no less.  No psychoanalysis needed.  I don’t like having words put in my mouth.  I don’t appreciate being made the subject of a straw man attack, which is exactly what you did.  That’s why I told what to go and do with your free time, and I’ll make that suggestion again.  Next time you want to have a philosophical discussion with me, how about asking me before mischaracterizing my statements?  That’s common courtesy.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/20/13 at 11:26 AM ET

Hey not everything is monetized.  Take your life long Colin Cowherd impression on KK.  I’m pretty sure no one pays to read your bullshit.

Moreover, I like wearing the Detroit Red Wings™ corporate logo, because its a product I endorse.  I don’t endorse McDonalds™, for example, and I don’t wear their logo.  Is that satisfactory Dr. Freud?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/20/13 at 01:06 PM ET