The Evander Kane Apology

from Gary Lawless of TSN,

Five water-cooler questions NHL fans, media, players and management are throwing around this week:

1. Did you believe Evander Kane’s apology?

Gawd, no. Kane’s apology was a scene right out of The Young and the Restless: heavy on the script, thin on the acting (Evander may be a model but he’s no thespian) and light on the contrition. Were you on the edge of your seat, waiting to see if a single tear would roll down his cheek?

C’mon. This isn’t a kid we’re talking about anymore. Kane is 24 and in his seventh NHL season. He’s a veteran now. He’s supposed to be a leader. He’s been run out of one NHL dressing room and remains the subject of a criminal investigation in Buffalo.

Did Kane suddenly realize missing an NHL practice when an organization is paying him $6 million for his services is a no-no? He understands there are consequences to his actions.

Playing in the NHL is an immense privilege that comes with a lot of responsibility. There are rules. Kane just doesn’t want to live within them. His teammates in Winnipeg said as much. Now Kane’s actions in Buffalo say the same.

contiinue for four more "water-cooler" questions including trade bait and Stamkos...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Buffalo Sabres, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: evander+kane

Comments

Primis's avatar

Sums it up pretty well on Kane.  There just was and is no excuse, and his apology is about as fake as could be.

He got what he wanted to do and drink at the NBA All-Star Game, consequences be-damned.

Posted by Primis on 02/17/16 at 06:54 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

If I completely blow off work and say I’m sorry, I’ll get the same outcome.
Seriously, what a petulant arrogant d-bag. He very well sums up the 20 something entitlement mentality.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/17/16 at 07:28 PM ET

I don’t see what the big deal is. Adnittedly Kane probably could have handled it better—- he could have informed the team that he needed a personal day. Most corporations have options like that available to their employees and Kane would have certainly been better off expressing his interest in the event and ideally the team would accomodate those wishes. These guys work hard and grind through a long regular season, the fact that he missed a single practice and is having all hell raised about it is silly.

@MOWingsFan19—- Maybe if the generations that came before us “entitled 20 somethings” hadn’t wrecked the environment, the economy, foreign affairs, and the political system we’d feel a little more motivated to go get our 9 to 5 jobs and slog away for 40 years. Except we cannot get those 9-5 middle-class jobs without at least a Bachelor’s degree (and incurring tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt) and in many cases a master’s degree is required, but you’ve got it all figured out so go ahead and tell me about how my generation is entitled while I’m in university full time, I have an internship with the state government, and I work 30 hours a week. Please. Enlighten me.

Posted by Robert on 02/17/16 at 08:24 PM ET

If I completely blow off work and say I’m sorry, I’ll get the same outcome.

Oh yeah, I definitely believe that if you slept in and called work when you woke up to tell them you would be late you’d get suspended without pay and publicly lambasted by a bunch of no-talent crybabies who devote their spare time to watching you do your job.

Right.

That doesn’t sound full of shit at all.

Posted by Garth on 02/18/16 at 12:36 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

He’s owed two more seasons pay totally 10.5M and he hasn’t scored 20+ goals more than once in his career=ouch.
On the plus side he did beat the stuffing out of Petrovic three times in one game this season that I found highly entertaining
If I was Buffalo and wanted to win in the future I would trade this clown and eat some his pay if need be. He’s an overpaid scrapper.

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 02/18/16 at 01:22 AM ET

Yes Robert you’ve had it worse than any any other generation… Revolution, Depression, WWIⅈ, Cold War, Cuban missle crisis, Vietnam, Korea… Waaaa life is hard- global warming I deserve free everything feel the bern waaaa ... Man the fuch up.

Posted by SlimChance on 02/18/16 at 03:15 AM ET

@SlimChance- I’m not saying we’ve had it worse off, but to downplay the seriousness of climate change, the state of the global economy, income inequality and distribution, and the rampant sideshow politics has become is not only ignorant it’s downright silly.

I’m not asking to be handed anything, but the fact of the matter is my generation has a different set of values than the ones that proceeded us and frankly well-off individuals shouldn’t have any issue putting money back into the pot to help struggling individuals. But hey. Caring about others and trying to take steps to help them is a crackpot idea isn’t it?

Posted by Robert on 02/18/16 at 03:15 PM ET

Posted by Robert on 02/18/16 at 03:15 PM ET

I’m a. Little disappointed   I thought I had a quality opportunity to troll somebody and you took the high road. There is little place for that here.

As far as global warming, I’ll believe politicians believe the oceans will rise when they start selling their ocean front property.  Until then…  Not so much.

As for your other opinions… Much of our education system is to blame.

LGRW!!!!

Posted by SlimChance on 02/18/16 at 06:17 PM ET

@SlimChance- The problem with climate change is too many politicians aren’t being proactive enough and some members of congress flat out deny it, but the science is undeniable and confirmed by 99% of the scientific community—- the remaining 1% being on oil and gas companies admittedly massive payroll.

Go wings! smile