Teams Showing Interest In Cody Franson

from NHL.com,

Unrestricted free agent defenseman Cody Franson said during a radio interview with the Team 1040 in Vancouver on Tuesday he is in discussions with "five or six teams," including the Boston Bruins, but he's not sure when he will sign a contract.

"There are some very interested [teams], but some teams are in cap situations and all the rest that comes with it," Franson said. "So everything is just kind of slowly rolling, but definitely [we] have some action."

Franson has played the past three seasons on one-year contracts. He said he is looking for a multiyear contract this summer. His contract last season carried a $3.3 million salary-cap charge.

"Obviously I'd like to get something a little more than one year," he said. "I'm sick of doing one-year deals. But we're open to all suggestions, really.

"We haven't said a number and we'll take nothing less, or a term and we'll take nothing less than that. We haven't said that at all. We've had a lot of teams call to see where we're at. We just said in a certain ballpark. Nobody has laughed at us. Everybody has thought it was reasonable. It's just one of those things that some teams we're talking to are in cap crunches and some teams don't want to go maybe as long. It's a number of different circumstances. Hopefully something happens sooner than later."

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: cody+franson

Comments

I wonder if Detroit is one of these teams, I bet they are. Maybe their hoping to move Smith/Kindl and a prospect or something to make room for him.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 07/21/15 at 04:38 PM ET

Posted by Pasha1277 on 07/21/15 at 04:38 PM ET

Call me crazy, but I agree. I think Detroit has been sniffing around Ehrhoff and Franson.

Remember in the summer of 2001, Brett Hull didn’t sign until August 22.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/21/15 at 05:02 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Pasha1277 on 07/21/15 at 04:38 PM ET

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/21/15 at 05:02 PM ET

I think it all depends on whether a) background moves can be made if the Wings take on either one of Franson or Ehrhoff and b) the cap hit fits the Wings structure.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 07/21/15 at 08:30 PM ET

I wouldn’t mind that at all, but yeah they would definitely have to make some moves.

Posted by Garth on 07/21/15 at 09:18 PM ET

If they could move Quincey and Kindl and a forward prospect, if it took that,  to a team like Dallas, who supposedly still has cap room and just traded away a starter on defense, that would be awesome.

Posted by teldar on 07/22/15 at 06:52 AM ET

I mean, on Def, this is what it looks like, basically, guys who aren’t going anywhere. Kronner, Dekyser, Green.  Then.. That’s it. I believe, Erricson, Smith, Kindl, Quincey are not untouchable. I also believe that this will really look like: Kron/Errorsin, Dek, Green.  That leaves Smith, Kindl and Quincey. Given how well Q and DD played, I wonder if splitting them up is the right thing to do. Why don’t we do Kron/Green, DD,Q and have Smith and erricson as the 3rd pair? Then that leaves Kindl to be traded for a bag of pucks. I want Oulette or Marachenko up here so I don’t know. I mean. Holland has to have a plan right?

Posted by Pasha1277 on 07/22/15 at 10:46 AM ET

have Smith and erricson as the 3rd pair?

I don’t know that there’s a possible worse pair than those two.

Regarding Quincey and DeKeyser, if they’re good they should be able to play with others.  Neither one is of much use if they’re only good with eachother.

Holland has to have a plan right?

Sure…